What do you know about Norfolk?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: What do you know about Norfolk?

Post by CitroJim »

'Eat more fish' was and remains very good advice ;)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Unless your a fish !
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

What about "Eat more molluscs".....

Brancaster which is not a kick in the pants away from AA Box on the A149 is renowned for its Mussels.

http://www.deepdalefarm.co.uk/events/in ... ventID=109

What could be more appropriate. An FCF member rocking up in a qualifying french vehicle....(could even be a velosolex not fussy!) to the layby next to AA Box 530, all prepared to create an al-fresco Moules Mariniere on a Camping Gaz Bluey using fresh Brancaster Mussels, and maybe some pommes-frites from a nearby chippy.

Now that would make a prize winning photo for the AA Box Challenge 2016.

Brancaster Mussels do have a season and its from September/October to February/March when they are at their best, so plenty of time to prepare.....

Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 20 Aug 2016, 14:01, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

If you're going to promote 'Eat More Fish', then may I suggest we have these to go with the fish.....

Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I have seen a few lorries with that on the side. I wonder what they are shipping? Fish?
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Now that would cause a stomach upset!
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Can't recommend eating more chips.... Fish yes, and even mushy peas but not chips!

Steve, your sort of chips have a bit of a prickly taste ;)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Hedgehog flavour
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Somebody I used to know got a lot of his materials from Maplin (before they moved away from electronic components for professionals and into the gadget market). He used to get on with the manager at his local branch, and they used to joke about what nasty thing they could make with his purchases. One day there was a special offer on chip sockets, and the manager looked at him with a raised eyebrow. The response? "Cushions?". The reply was "OUCH!".
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

myglaren wrote:Image
These will slip down ok, with a bit of DIL on the side... 8-)
Chris
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Well I was hoping the thread would tempt an FCF member from Norfolk into taking the plunge and posting up a bit of info. (Of course once ensnared the job of infecting them with an AA Box obsession would be much easier).

Early days though, and we've only scratched the surface with a few herrings, a swing bridge, and random delve into "Plain Speaking" adverts...

My own recollections of Norfolk are mainly positive, but just like "Trip Advisor" its always more interesting to consult the "terrible" reviews first....

To be fair pretty minor really......an overheating, scorching hot, black 1955 Morris Cowley stuck in a traffic jam at King's Lynn after an endless journey from County Durham, and a tin of maggots turns into a swarm of bluebottles readily over the course of a couple of weeks.

Apart from that one of the best holidays I can remember, staying at Great Yarmouth, fishing and swimming every day.

I remember in particular the busy little Potter Heigham, with its narrow bridge, and the ever interesting drama of novice navigators on boating holidays attempting to negotiate the narrow channel.

Many years later we did a few days boating from Acle, exploring the waterways and the broads and made it to Potter Heigham, but maybe those childhood memories of impending disasters scarred me more than I thought, and I am afraid to admit, after three attempted approaches, Potter Heigham bridge won, and we never went through! :-D

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Gosh :shock: That was a bit of a close pass for that boat going through that bridge 'ole! Must have had a very skilled captain on board :)

I think we've all excelled ourselves on how we've so comprehensively dragged this thread off topic so quickly and comprehensively :lol:

Cracking effort =D>

Now, back on topic... Norfolk has a brilliant university in the shape of the UEA just outside Norwich...

The biggest claim to fame Norwich has for me is an excellent Citroen dealer, Duff Morgan, and it's association with Nicholas Parsons and 'Sale Of The Century' and ultimately the work a certain very dedicated group are doing to preserve the memory of Norwich City Railway Station

Their Facebook group (in link above) is well worth a look... Members include one ex Xantia Activa owner... Hence how I know about it...
Jim

Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

All I really know about Norfolk is that they make, or used to, a lot of shoes.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

There's the very good RAF Air Defence Radar Museum at Neatishead, Norfolk http://www.radarmuseum.co.uk/index.htm
I've been there a few times and it's an excellent little museum run by people who know what they are talking about - mainly because they used to run the various radars ! It's not open very often, and I wouldn't exactly say it's located in a busy little town :-D ...ar5e end of nowhere springs to mind :lol: but it makes for an incredibly informative day out. There's also the glorious Type 84 radar over the back of the site - sadly not accessible to the general public.... unless you know the right people.

Of equal importance to me is.... Beers Of Europe in King's Lynn :) http://www.beersofeurope.co.uk/
A beer supermarket - need I say more ? And it's within striking distance of the Brancaster AA box :)
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(