Expert help needed! New van bought

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: '95 Xantia 1.9D automatic - 118k one of two? remaining
'97 306 1.6 XS, 24k, The ex-Haynes "Max Power" display car. Bought after being written off & stripped, now being rebuilt without the wide body
('96 ZX 1.9TD SX, ??k roller due to collect at weekend)

Re: Expert help needed! New van bought

Post by ekjdm14 »

Not sure on the exhaust pliers to be honest, although I'd imagine they help spread the clamp once the nut/bolt is loosened as they can be a bit of a fiddle to get on/off single handed. I've always managed by removing the nut/bolt/washers entirely to dismantle, and a bit of judicious bending to open the clamp before putting back together but if it's cheap enough then a proper tool would be something I'd add to my armoury in future as I didn't even think they existed and it would make the job less fiddly.
'95 Xantia LX 1.9D-auto, Black, 118k
'97 306 XS 1.6i, Blaze Yellow, 24k
'96 ZX SX 1.9TD rolling shell, White, ??k
Ed900

Post by Ed900 »

Well almost by mistake I serviced it yesterday! I'll do a write up to help anyone else who has one later.
I do think it has a dpf though, it looks like it's bolted right under the turbo with the cat - I think - under the sump. I will leave the oil feed pipe till later in the year when I have more time, not ideal I know, but just don't have the time. I am going to change the oil as suggested above asap, to make sure anything left inside is the proper stuff - Total low saps.
I plan to change the oil filter too, would it be necessary after only about 50 miles?
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

I'm not 100% sure what you mean. Its normal practise to change the oil filter at the same time as the oil. :)
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Exhaust pliers- PSA use these awkward spring loaded clamps with only one bolt. Getting them off the pipe without the correct tools is a 'mare - not too bad with.

If it's only done 50 miles on the oil, then probably OK to leave the filter - but as they're paper only, they're not too dear.

No DPF - the bit you can see under the sump is just a flexi.
Richard W
Ed900

Post by Ed900 »

spider wrote:I'm not 100% sure what you mean. Its normal practise to change the oil filter at the same time as the oil. :)
I'm doing a double oil change, just wondered if I need to change the filter too, 'old ' one will be on for 50 miles max. I've got one on order anyways
Ed900

Post by Ed900 »

No DPF - the bit you can see under the sump is just a flexi.[/quote]

Hope your right :-D there's definitely something lurking under that long hear shield!

....I'll get some of those pliers before I tackle the oil feed filter.thanks for the linky
Ed900

Post by Ed900 »

This is also a shot taken from underneath
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

Ed900 wrote:
spider wrote:I'm not 100% sure what you mean. Its normal practise to change the oil filter at the same time as the oil. :)
I'm doing a double oil change, just wondered if I need to change the filter too, 'old ' one will be on for 50 miles max. I've got one on order anyways
In that case, oil change (leave filter) , oil change (new filter)

:)
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
Ed900

Post by Ed900 »

Just to update this, I did another oil and filter change 200 miles after the first. Genuine filter and total oil again
.Really glad I did.
Oil on dipstick even after 50 or so miles looked a lot cleaner than the first change,which looked dirty before I even started engine! Thanks to whoever told me to do this ;-) I'm sleeping a lot better now! My only concern is when will I change it again, certainly not 20k miles!. I do about 10k per year. From reading the forum most people say every 6k? It cost me £33 for proper oil and filter, so it will hardly be end of the world if I have to stick to that
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I usually change mine at half the recommended mileage which is 12,500 miles for mine, so around 6,00 miles.