Peugeot 305 gld estates??? Much needed advice please

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Re: Peugeot 305 gld estates??? Much needed advice please

Post by myglaren »

It is as said above that older cars are not as inherently as safe for the occupants as more recent ones.
I've seen some collisions involving 80s cars and they definitely don't hold up so well.
I've had Volvos that I thought were safe but seen contradictory evidence and the Xantia I thought was built like a tank - well, they aren't.

Older cars are fine as long as it is recognised and taken into account that in a collision they won't fare well.
I would not risk my loved ones in some of the cars I previously considered to be safe.
2011dandd
My Cars: Peugeot 305

Post by 2011dandd »

The 305 has been my second favourite car, the favourite being a Volvo 240 as that was a beautifully built ultra reliable vehicle, but also incredsbly thirsty.
The 305 is comfortable and steady I reckon I do 60mph tops.
I get up to 60 mpg, that that really helped my financial position. For the money I paid I don't think I could have bout anything as reliable or capeable of huge mileage than a car with this xud7 engine. Like every thing it's a fine balance.
I'm well aware of the dangers of driving as I'm a fireman and attend car accidents all the time, but I have invested in ultra good car seats.
FOAD
My Cars: Peugeot 305 SRD
Peugeot 305 SR/DT
Peugeot 309 GLD
Citroen Xantia TD Desire

Post by FOAD »

We drive old cars because we like them and aren't particularly concerned about the safety aspect. I feel relatively safe in my 305 compared to my 83 Suzuki alto.

I know the chances of surviving an accident are slim but does that stop me from enjoying driving it? No.

Sent from my 5022X using Tapatalk
2011dandd

Post by 2011dandd »

Benc5hdi

Would you take kids on a steam locomotive or let them to ride a penny farthing?
In thirty years time will you be driving the new cars of today?
The car seat actually does a huge amount in saving children's lives, we cannot plan for every eventuality because the safest thing statistically would be to walk everywhere... But sod that because I've got a lovely 305 to drive!!
Oldpug
My Cars: Peugeot 406 GLX
Audi A3 TFSI S Line
Mercedes SL320
(In the past,just about every old Peugeot you can think of.)

Post by Oldpug »

Calm down dears !!
Yes modern cars are very safe compared to older models.Everything in life is safer than it was in the old days.I`m thinking of my parents home just after WW2,the workshop I did my apprenticeship in during the 60`s.Both Very unsafe environments compared to today.
We are car enthusiasts and drive classic cars because we want to,providing they have passed an MOT they are deemed safe and legal to use on the road.If we thought about their lack of safety items there is no piont in having one.Just look at my old Peugeot in the image.No seat belts,no air bags,metal dash,big boney steering wheel,metal petrol tank behind the rear bumper etc etc its a bloody death trap !!! but it won many trophies,looked great and most admirers said "that brings back memories".
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

I have deleted several posts in this thread which I considered to be too argumentative for a technical forum.

The users who had their posts deleted should consider this as a warning. I am quite prepared to ban users for a period, users who have previously been banned would find that I am not as flexible on reinstatements as some other forum administrators.
2011dandd

Post by 2011dandd »

Ambo

You don't make any cuts or get any training on vehicle structure or integrity after collision, I do.
But I invite you to visit the station and give us your imput and drill us, I have squared it away with the OIC.

And yes I have done 5000 miles and had it over 2 months.

Cheers for all the responses and advice. I am very happy with the car it's great on fuel and a practical vehicle for my family of four. I can fix it all myself which is a bonus. I may decide to put the engine in to something more modern at some point but for the time being it's very reliable and serving us well.
FOAD
Peugeot 305 SR/DT
Peugeot 309 GLD
Citroen Xantia TD Desire

Post by FOAD »

We're still waiting on some photos of your 305!
2011dandd

Post by 2011dandd »

Bare with I haven't taken any photos, anyway the new project may be a green goddess!!

On that note if anyone knows somebody looking for a Landrover defender let me know. I'm selling a decent one.
bigjl2
My Cars:

Post by bigjl2 »

2011dandd wrote:Ambo

You don't make any cuts or get any training on vehicle structure or integrity after collision, I do.
But I invite you to visit the station and give us your imput and drill us, I have squared it away with the OIC.

Cheers for all the responses and advice. I am very happy with the car it's great on fuel and a practical vehicle for my family of four. I can fix it all myself which is a bonus. I may decide to put the engine in to something more modern at some point but for the time being it's very reliable and serving us well.
I suspect you have no idea what my training involved. The simple fact is modern cars distribute the impact forces in a way that was technically impossible previously.

If you had recieved training on vehicle structure you wouldn't need to be advised as to why a 305 is less safe than a 405 or 406. The ease with which you will be able to cut through the A Pillar on a 305 when compared to something like a 405 will be noticeable.

One of the worst fatals I have attended was a Pug 205 versus a tree, side on at under 30mph.

Don't forget that you stated the need for a safe car.

In your first post you stated

"How safe is the vehicle on the whole ?"

and previously said

"safe ultra reliable"

To put things into context.

My dad was in an RTC many years ago in a 1 year 304 estate, hit a tree after hitting black ice, the engine was partially pushed into the passenger compartment. He was doing not much more than 40/50mph.

Your opinion on the merits of a child safety seat are worrying, have you considered the amount of force transmitted to a childs internal organs by the chest wall due to the lack of proper crumple zones in the event of a collision? Simply preventing ejection from the vehicle is not the be all end all.

The Mods can consider this argumentative if they want.

This is about safety and when somebody posts up misleading information with regards safety it has to be countered.

If nothing else for the safety of those who may read it and be mislead into how safe they may be in an older car.

By all means chose to drive a 305, good luck with it they are a lovely car, I have many fond memories of driving my Dads 305 GL.

But I would never consider it in any way equal to a newer car as regards safety.

Hopefully you will never have to find out.
Xantia 2.0SX estate (now sold)
Xantia 1.9 TD SX hatch 102K (all old MOT'S) and working A/C.(Sold to forum member, time to save for a C5)
2007 Berlingo Multispace 1.4i Forte, bought in November with genuine 27k miles, now on 39799 miles.
2011dandd

Post by 2011dandd »

Look I'm not continuing with this. I can't be bothered with this tit for tat, I appreciate some of your comments. Cheers
FOAD
Peugeot 305 SR/DT
Peugeot 309 GLD
Citroen Xantia TD Desire

Re: RE: Re: Peugeot 305 gld estates??? Much needed advice please

Post by FOAD »

bigjl2 wrote:
2011dandd wrote:Ambo

I suspect you have no idea what my training involved. The simple fact is modern cars distribute the impact forces in a way that was technically impossible previously.

If you had recieved training on vehicle structure you wouldn't need to be advised as to why a 305 is less safe than a 405 or 406. The ease with which you will be able to cut through the A Pillar on a 305 when compared to something like a 405 will be noticeable.

One of the worst fatals I have attended was a Pug 205 versus a tree, side on at under 30mph.

Don't forget that you stated the need for a safe car.

In your first post you stated

"How safe is the vehicle on the whole ?"

and previously said

"safe ultra reliable"

To put things into context.

My dad was in an RTC many years ago in a 1 year 304 estate, hit a tree after hitting black ice, the engine was partially pushed into the passenger compartment. He was doing not much more than 40/50mph.

Your opinion on the merits of a child safety seat are worrying, have you considered the amount of force transmitted to a childs internal organs by the chest wall due to the lack of proper crumple zones in the event of a collision? Simply preventing ejection from the vehicle is not the be all end all.

The Mods can consider this argumentative if they want.

This is about safety and when somebody posts up misleading information with regards safety it has to be countered.

If nothing else for the safety of those who may read it and be mislead into how safe they may be in an older car.

By all means chose to drive a 305, good luck with it they are a lovely car, I have many fond memories of driving my Dads 305 GL.

But I would never consider it in any way equal to a newer car as regards safety.

Hopefully you will never have to find out.
Yawn.

Sent from my 5022X using Tapatalk
BX
My Cars:

Post by BX »

Whats the point of all this winding up. If you take safety to the extreme we should all drive s60s or XC90s and keep our speeds below 50Km/hr.
The 305 can go on for ever. Engines indestructible. Some gearbox problems. Occasional rear swinging arm bearing changes as per C5 etc. Simple reliable electrics. Just look out for rust.