Still not 100% wafting?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

aeroboy64
My Cars: renault 19 16v cabriolet
Saab 95 hot aero

Still not 100% wafting?

Post by aeroboy64 »

I have posted all my problems with my c5 x7 exclusive 2.0 hdi auto elsewhere so a quick recap.new rear spheres fitted/pump replaced as old one was dying and did'nt have enough oomph to raise/lower car.
As soon as the pump was fitted it drove smoothly but a little bit bouncy and the front height seemed a bit high so but car went up and down when opening doors/boot so had the height adjuster adjusted and now LOOKS right but the waftiness seems to have gone and seems a bit harsh even going slow over small speed bumps?Would it matter that the front looked a little bit high (it is 5cm from top of tyre to wheelarch front and rear)
Looking at other non-citroen car they all seem to have a bigger gap?
Should i just bite the bullet and get my mechanic to raise it a little bit till i get the comfort back?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: Still not 100% wafting?

Post by GiveMeABreak »

If it's really annoying you, and you don't feel right driving it - it will niggle you forever. Considering what you have spent already in an attempt to rectify the suspension issue - I would bite the bullet and take it to a main dealer, explain thoroughly what you have already done on it, and then get them to do a diagnostic on their kit. The reason I think it may be worth a diagnostic session with them, is that generally - and make sure you ask them to do this - they will automatically check for any software updates to your BSI and possibly any other ECU than needs it.

Incidentally, you said you replaced the rear spheres, what about the fronts? I'll assume all new LDS after you replaced the pump and that it's been flushed?
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
aeroboy64
Saab 95 hot aero

Post by aeroboy64 »

GiveMeABreak wrote:If it's really annoying you, and you don't feel right driving it - it will niggle you forever. Considering what you have spent already in an attempt to rectify the suspension issue - I would bite the bullet and take it to a main dealer, explain thoroughly what you have already done on it, and then get them to do a diagnostic on their kit. The reason I think it may be worth a diagnostic session with them, is that generally - and make sure you ask them to do this - they will automatically check for any software updates to your BSI and possibly any other ECU than needs it.

Incidentally, you said you replaced the rear spheres, what about the fronts? I'll assume all new LDS after you replaced the pump and that it's been flushed?
The front spheres were replaced by previous owner new fluid was used after pump fitted,The car bounces when you press down on bonnet/boot but it seems to missing the x-factor,not really wanting to trust a main dealer after my previous experience with them but having someone with LEXIA just to fine tune the heights sounds like it may be worth a shot.Thanks for the speedy reply but i don't really want to throw anymore money at it at the moment?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I understand completely. I take it you've read all the info on calculating the values to enter the data into Lexia then? Unfortunately it's not as simple as just bunging a value in - you have to do the Isaac Newton bit first then this gets translated into values for the heights. I few of us have compared reference heights, each slightly different, but haven't had the need to go any further as I consider my car's ride to be generally ok, although it does depend on what day of the week it is sometimes! Some days smooth as treacle, others a bit bumpy - like it is too firm over small bumps at slow crawling speed. I just put it down to being a 'live' system where the information to adjust the ride is constantly being updated and it just has a 'bad' day on occasions. Occasionally, I have done a BSI reset to clear all the values and then it starts on it's learning curve again.

Marc
aeroboy64
Saab 95 hot aero

Post by aeroboy64 »

About 6 mths ago my dad bought a 2 yr old volvo s80 b3 with leather/sat nav and all the whistles and when i went out in it to say it was smooth/fast/quiet would be an understatement?
So fast forward to yesterday and he gave me a lift home (bearing in mind i've now got used to the c5 magic carpet ride after 6 mths) and f*** me it was noisy and picked up every imperfection in the road through the suspension it actually felt as if the suspension was borked!!!!! just goes to show how good the c5's suspension is at ironing out big & small irregularities that are english roads.
Seeing as his car was about 10k more when new than mine the only trouble now is would i ever go back to a "normal" car?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

That's the thing - it's only when you get into other people's vehicles (non-Hydrompneumatic / Hydractive) that you realise how comfortable your own actually is. I think it's only when you spend so much time in your own car that you can pick up the times when the car is having a 'puddy' with the ride - you just get to 'feel' when it's working great and when it's having a bad day!

As for going back to a 'normal' car, we won't have much choice on the matter in future unfortunately, now that the Hydractive systems are being fully phased out.. :miserable:

Marc
aeroboy64
Saab 95 hot aero

Post by aeroboy64 »

GiveMeABreak wrote:That's the thing - it's only when you get into other people's vehicles (non-Hydrompneumatic / Hydractive) that you realise how comfortable your own actually is. I think it's only when you spend so much time in your own car that you can pick up the times when the car is having a 'puddy' with the ride - you just get to 'feel' when it's working great and when it's having a bad day!

As for going back to a 'normal' car, we won't have much choice on the matter in future unfortunately, now that the Hydractive systems are being fully phased out.. :miserable:
Did'nt rolls royce and mercedes have the same suspension set-up or similar (not that i could afford either).
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Citroen did licence their Hydropneumatic technology to Rolls Royce years ago and was used in a lot of their cars. Mercedes have an an air suspension system (airmatic is one of them) - but you'll be glad you don't have one, especially if you have to replace the suspension strut - check this out!:

Scotty Kilmer - he cracks me up! :rofl2:

Marc
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I drove an XM last years after two or three years of not having one and the ride felt superb, either that one rode better than any I have ever had or my blood sugar level was particularly good that day. :wink:

Peter
chinkostu
My Cars: N Xantia 1.9TD SX
03 Fiesta 1.4 Zetec

Post by chinkostu »

I spent a couple of trips in the back of a 2012 civic, mainly to kent and back and that felt good until you hit rougher roads where it was agony. In constrast even my Xantia on an iffy day is far smoother, it just seems to get caught out by potholes that normal cars aren't affected by (like drains!)
Stu

Cars
1995 Xantia 1.9TD SX in (faded) Red
2003 Fiesta 1.4 Zetec in GREEEEEEEN
2001 206 1.9 LX
2001 Saxo VTR
1999 Saxo 1.1 East coast
1999 Punto :oops:
1996 306 1.8 XN Auto :?
1996 Fiesta 1.3 #-o
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

Citroen suspension - one of the best-kept secrets that most of the population never discovered. And whose fault was that?
Chris
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I know it is only a circus trick but I find that 'exercising' the suspension while waiting at traffic lights can have quite an effect on the people in adjacent and following cars.
If only they knew the real advantages of Citroen suspension.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

If you want really comfortable suspension fit an accumulator sphere at each corner, you won't feel a thing - especially if you try to corner to fast. :wink:

Peter
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

Peter.N. wrote:If you want really comfortable suspension fit an accumulator sphere at each corner, you won't feel a thing - especially if you try to corner to fast. :wink:
Peter
Sounds like ideal toy for providing a bit of entertainment at a rally. Ploughed fields and eggs come to mind...
:-D

Chris
Chris
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

I tried it on off side side of my XM then drove along the forest track we use to reach the road, it was amazing, just how we all imagine hydropnumatics to ride only they don't, except possibly the DS. Unbelievably you couldn't feel any shock from the suspension on that side, it literally did float. I would be quite happy to drive it like that on the road if it was legal.

Peter