A very bad Birthday indeed.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Re: A very bad Birthday indeed.

Post by myglaren »

Always used to run on Sainsbury's fuel, never a problem but can't access the shop to pay anymore.
Odd times tried V-Power and struggled to see any difference.
Currently use Torq and have seen a gradual improvement in mpg - still rubbish though :(

My son had a Mitsubishi Colt and always used Sainsbury's petrol as he lived very close by (when he was in St. Neots or Kettering) but one day left work (Huntingdon) and drove straight here.
Had to fill up with Esso and got about half the MPG and poor power from the engine - tank was about dry when he got here where a full tank would bring him here, let him noodle around among his mates fro a few days then take him home with some in reserve.
He filled up at Sainsburys here and made it home on 1/3 tank.
On a couple of occasions I have filled at Asda when it was convenient but although the fuel is cheaper the car doesn't seem happy with it, reduced power and less MPG.
Also once filled up with Esso and it was as crap as Richard found it to be.
Same with BP Super-Dooper. First fillup seemed OK but the next was dismal.
BenC5HDi
Not Mike
My Cars: '07 Peugeot 207 1.4 "Sport" (Ha!)
'04 Berlingo Multispace 2.0 HDi with a 123BHP remap

Re: RE: Re: A very bad Birthday indeed.

Post by BenC5HDi »

Paul-R wrote:
Zelandeth wrote:Never touch Tesco fuels these days...had far too many odd fuel system faults immediately following supermarket fill ups.
Others might accuse me of being insensitive but I have used supermarket fuel almost exclusively for the last twenty years and have never had a problem that could point to the supermarket fuel. Frankly, I just look for the cheapest every time so I might occasionally buy branded fuel if it's the right price.
I agree with everything you say Paul! Apart from this little experiment, I've always done the same as you.
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

When I was in Egypt soldiering we were out in the desert attending to the vehicles on a desert exercise, one of the old RASC Bedford QLs broke down, over heated, we pulled the cylinder head and found the heads of the valves were all burned off. a bit like you find a knob of metal on the end of a welding rod.

We got an explanation from the driver and his mate later having a beer in the mess, those QLs were meant to run on very poor quality petrol about 85 octane iirc. these guy had nicked some aircraft spirit from the RAF base "To see if it would make it go quicker." :)
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Gibbo2286 wrote:When I was in Egypt soldiering we were out in the desert attending to the vehicles on a desert exercise, one of the old RASC Bedford QLs broke down, over heated, we pulled the cylinder head and found the heads of the valves were all burned off. a bit like you find a knob of metal on the end of a welding rod.

We got an explanation from the driver and his mate later having a beer in the mess, those QLs were meant to run on very poor quality petrol about 85 octane iirc. these guy had nicked some aircraft spirit from the RAF base "To see if it would make it go quicker." :)
Perhaps it did - but not for long :-D
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

Hmmm if only there was somewhere to store them and all my tools when I go on a wrecky.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Gibbo2286 wrote:We got an explanation from the driver and his mate later having a beer in the mess, those QLs were meant to run on very poor quality petrol about 85 octane iirc. these guy had nicked some aircraft spirit from the RAF base "To see if it would make it go quicker." :)
My Grandad was a machinist int the Wellington factory in WWII. 100 Octane AvGas was, er, acquired, on occasion :) He had motorbikes at the time, which apparently went very well on the stuff - at the expense of exhaust valves. He reckoned he could change one by the side of the road in a relatively short time - and had a special tool to compress the valve springs. When we cleared his garage out, we found a home modified small G clamp, that looked suspiciously like a valve spring compressor....
Richard W
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

My cars seem very happy on their usual diet of Esso unleaded...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

I filled up the 2CV on Esso Unleaded Today it seems fine
seems to start easier when hot to.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I only use Esso because our local Esso station is often quite quiet (no queues) and they give Tesco clubcard points...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
BenC5HDi
Not Mike
My Cars: '07 Peugeot 207 1.4 "Sport" (Ha!)
'04 Berlingo Multispace 2.0 HDi with a 123BHP remap

Post by BenC5HDi »

I generally use whatever is open near work at 3am. Asda or Sainsbury. Gives me an excuse to get out of work for a bit at that time!
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

I presume the WW2 vehicles (Bedford QLs and motorbikes etc) were all sidevalve. Much simpler removing cylinder head off a side-valve engine than an overhead valve engine, never mind the extra difficulties of overhead cam engines.
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

Xantidote wrote:I presume the WW2 vehicles (Bedford QLs and motorbikes etc) were all sidevalve. Much simpler removing cylinder head off a side-valve engine than an overhead valve engine, never mind the extra difficulties of overhead cam engines.
Most GM vehicles (including Bedford) were OHV well before WW2. I think that the same is true for a number of UK motorcycle engines.
Don't forget how painful it can be (depending on the detail of the design) to remove a valve from a side-valve engine.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

xantia_v6 wrote: I think that the same is true for a number of UK motorcycle engines.
Yes indeed and overhead cam too...
xantia_v6 wrote:Don't forget how painful it can be (depending on the detail of the design) to remove a valve from a side-valve engine.
Oh yes, Horrible job...
Jim

elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

I have a preference for Shell Diesel, which all my Xuds seem smoother on and Bp petrol which my old Scenic preferred (not the one my parents own). I won't touch Esso or Texaco as they make the engines rougher than usual on all my cars. Anything else I count as average and will use in the absence of Shell or Bp. The fuel qualities are definitely variable up here as the brands all seem to have their own colour of diesel.

I haven't actually done a comparison since Uni, I got quite scientific back then evaluating smoothness, economy and perceived performance. Interestingly Red Diesel was found to be the best by far in all 3 areas, off road assessment of course. I didn't investigate much, as it's no use on the road, but was led to believe it is the same as the premium diesel with higher Cetane etc for the commercial and industrial engines it usually fuels.

Dads Peugeot Hdi doesn't show the same brand preference as my old XUD, it's happy on anything. I've always figured the electronic injection system will tweak the car slightly for the fuel blend. I've had mixed experience with premium fuels. Italian cars seem to lap it up and go further faster. Vauxhalls don't appreciate it at all and it's not worth the cost for an XUD. Again I've figured it's down to how the cars tuned and if it can detect the fuel type and do a mini remap itself. The difference in a Fiat petrol engine fuelled with optimax is astounding, but I haven't had that from another engine just yet. Wondering now if filling an XUD with optidiesel or whatever it's called and playing with the diesel pump tuning would reap rewards, if only the scrap car was running.
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

xantia_v6 wrote: Most GM vehicles (including Bedford) were OHV well before WW2. I think that the same is true for a number of UK motorcycle engines
:( I stand corrected. Certainly my early 1950s plunger framed BSA 600 single was side valve.

I do recollect it being fiddly adjusting the tappets on side valve engines - bit of fingers & thumbs :(
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )