A very bad Birthday indeed.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Re: A very bad Birthday indeed.

Post by Paul-R »

falling-out-with-my-car wrote:I've already used fibre glass on the headlamp mounting/cross member which is carbon fibre reinforced plastic. in its shattered state I can see the carbon fibres sticking out of the fractures.
I roughened the surface and fibre glassed this successfully with seven layers of Glass mating and it is holding well but this is a rigid surface that will not be moving.
Yes, I suppose that enough layers of GRP will hold carbon fibre in place.
falling-out-with-my-car wrote:The fan casing is something different a more flexible plastic. I am tempted to try what you suggest and with waterproof epoxy attach annealed thin plates of aluminium over the repaired fractures annealing the metal will allow it to be easily shaped when fixed in place with the epoxy I can then drill through the alloy and the plastic beneath and try to put in some rivets to hold it all together for strength.
No, not waterproof epoxy. The correct bumper repair two pack glue.

About twenty years ago I was helping out at a friends body repair shop. This was where I found out about the bumper welding repair service. But my friend also some of this two-pack adhesive for bumpers with smaller repairs needed.

There was an old 1980s Mercedes Benz in for restoration and one day one of the young lads managed to drive it into a post. Fortunately most of the front was off for the repair but the radiator fan cowl was broken (sound familiar?). the cowl was, I think, ABS and he used this bumper repair glue (which was black) for a simple butt repair and it held good. There was a thin mark showing when he finished which looked for all the world just like a scratch and, as far as I know, the owner never found out. You could roughen up the inside surface of yours and add the strengthening matting leaving the outside virtually unspoiled.
falling-out-with-my-car wrote:It might be worth taking the cowling to a back street body shop and simply asking if there is a repair service or glue.

Which is what you suggested for the bumper repair I believe.
Yes. My experience of welding is twenty years old and may not be valid any more.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

falling-out-with-my-car wrote:What's the address of the website that these diagrams come from please I've been trying to Google it today without any success at all
service.citroen.com - you need to register, and pretend to be a independent repairer, but there doesn't seem to be any back checking! A most useful resource. You can PM the last 8 digits of the VIN and I will lookup the correct part number later though if you like.
Richard W
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Citroen Service, you can join yourself here

http://service.citroen.com/do/inscription
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

Thanks Paul and Alasdair.

Nigel.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Ha,
I found my login details for the site... no wonder I didn't remember them
as it is some obscure letters and numbers.
all I can seem to find is something called a fan drive Motor Tube diagram
which doesn't seem to give a part number for the fan casing in the middle of the picture
However I have deducted that the supplier was GATE because the fan blades are held on by metal clips
The other suppliers effort the blades are held onto the motor shafts with screws.
I'm going to go with the option of PM---ing you my chassis number RichardW
and let a pro do the digging if you don't mind please?
I seem to remember getting quite confused on the website once before and giving up.

Thanks in advance.
Nigel.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
falling-out-with-my-car

Finally I squeezed the time to get My Xantia back on the road,
it wasn't easy but with some body panel glue I managed to
drill holes either side of the cracks/fractures in the dual fan casing
and stich it back together with zip ties which have been left in place.
heres some pics below. I used a slow curing epoxy similar to fibre glass, it is slightly flexible,
to stick a strip of fibreglass around the circumference of the Fans to stick them together
hopegully preventing them from coming apart, one is slightly off balance but nothing to write home about
at this stage. it certainly beats £699.00 for a whole new fan casing and condenser radiator with fans and motors.

A special Thank you to Jim who in troubling/stressful times helped me with some parts.

Thanks everyone for the advice shared on this thread.

regards.

Nigel.. ps if the front bumper looks grey that's because I ran out of paint but I decided it was probably best painted on the car.
I almost forgot how nice a drive the car is. I have to tackle the engine running to fast at idle when the engine becomes hot
I have a return spring on the diesel pump arm as a temporary measure to stop the throttle getting away from me.
I'm pretty sure that it was this problem with the throttle that caused my collision with another vehicle.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Excellent news Nigel :D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...