A very bad Birthday indeed.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Re: A very bad Birthday indeed.

Post by bobins »

Xantidote wrote: :( I stand corrected. Certainly my early 1950s plunger framed BSA 600 single was side valve.

I do recollect it being fiddly adjusting the tappets on side valve engines - bit of fingers & thumbs :(
It could be worse, on some of my mower engines, to increase the valve gap you grind the valve stem down a bit, to reduce it - you grind the valve a bit further into its seat. :cry: #-o
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

bobins wrote: It could be worse, on some of my mower engines, to increase the valve gap you grind the valve stem down a bit, to reduce it - you grind the valve a bit further into its seat. :cry: #-o
Suffolk Punch?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

CitroJim wrote:
bobins wrote: It could be worse, on some of my mower engines, to increase the valve gap you grind the valve stem down a bit, to reduce it - you grind the valve a bit further into its seat. :cry: #-o
Suffolk Punch?

Actually, some of the ones fitted with (relatively modern !!) Fuji-Robin side valves. I've got a flail mower from the 1980s with an 11hp sidevale that needs a very careful hand on the bench grinder when 'gapping' the valves. One slip and it's #-o :cry: :roll:
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

bobins wrote:
Xantidote wrote: :( I stand corrected. Certainly my early 1950s plunger framed BSA 600 single was side valve.

I do recollect it being fiddly adjusting the tappets on side valve engines - bit of fingers & thumbs :(
It could be worse, on some of my mower engines, to increase the valve gap you grind the valve stem down a bit, to reduce it - you grind the valve a bit further into its seat. :cry: #-o
That's the way all Ford 8 & 10 hp side valve engines were made, they had a mushroom shaped bottom end and to get them out you had to knock out the valve guides which were made in two halves.

https://www.smallfordspares.co.uk/produ ... ort-length
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

the 2cv is missing occasionally on the tank full of Esso unleaded I put in.
I'm going back to shell next fill up.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

If you take a look at the Ebay discussion boards, Ebay motors and look for a thread headed Eric, there's a video of a Nissan sports car being driven which has a short mention of fuel and mapping.

The video's worth a look even if you're not too interested in the rest. :)
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Thanks Alasdair
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
falling-out-with-my-car

Right all the necessary Xantia bits are off the car at long last
it aint easy being soul carer for two parents one with dementia and the other with congenital heart failure.

I've pulled the old fan casing and condenser radiator off the car the big fuse box behind the battery had to be invaded to release the lead
running to the Bitron Box on the fan casing.

Jim Has kindly helped me with some parts he to very busy looking after his Father. (Thank you Jim for your patience I Know it can be difficult).

My old fan casing had shattered completely in the crash but I hope I can repair my fan blades
which have a 3mm clearance around their circumference.
My plan is to remove the old motors including the old fan blades.
insert them into the new casing then superglue the fractured outer edges of the blades
then use very fine fibreglass sheet to reinforce the joins all the way around the outer circumference
of the fan blades, this two part glass resin is used for model boats and takes 12 hours to set
which will give me plenty of time to play around with the joints. it is also highly sand able.
I will then remove the motors from the new casing and glass on the outer edge of the fan blade rings.
reinstalling them to the new fan casing when set.

Jim has also given me the new fan casing of which the lower location holes are to short to reach the plastic pins on the bottom of
my old radiator to hold the fan casing in place across the bottom front sub frame so I shall need to measure and cut off the old
fan/condenser rad mountings and bolt them to the base of the fan frame Jim has given me to extend the mountings.

all in all it seems to be do-able but its such a struggle when your being stretched five ways with your family.

regards

Nigel. ps Thank God I bought the little 2cv in 2010
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

Do you still need any parts?

I will (if all goes according to plan) be visiting Big Monty later this week to remove some parts from the S2 2.1TD that he is scrapping, and I may be able to get some bits for you, which I could leave with Jim.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Nigel, it's been a pleasure to help in a small way... Don't forget I'm still happy to look at your idle issues when you (and I!) have some time...
falling-out-with-my-car wrote:hank God I bought the little 2cv in 2010
I often say the same thing about my little C1... I'd be lost without it now...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
falling-out-with-my-car

Hello Jim good to see your about, well its eat my Hat time Now because I tried one of my fan blades inside
the casing you gave me Jim and its far to big.
But I found a casing from a 99 Xantia that is identical to mine
on flea bay, so its being delivered to Argos for me by Tuesday
a complete unit bar the condenser radiator.
if you'd like the casing and fan blades back Jim I'd be happy to oblige.

fortunately the plastics took the brunt of the damage and there are no dents in the metal work at all.
I've found a third radiator tucked between the water radiator and the condenser radiator
it seems to cool the air for the turbo and doesn't look like it has any fluid in it at all.

I'm thinking of selling my estate as soon as she's back together at 189K she has brand new clutch
and a new heather matrix to fitted about 2 years ago By Barry at Bourne Citroen.
recent Bosch alternator to. hopefully your donated air/con radiator will do the trick and get the cool air blowing again.
cambelt has about 25K to go before replacement to and I'll be fitting a new cam cover seal
and hopefully sorting the idle issue out I'm in two minds at the mo. maybe Ill plummet for a 3rd car and keep her
insured for low mileage i.e 3K a year. my insurance fully comp is going to hike to around £500 a year next year
because of a very silly mistake. hand brake goes on every time I stop now without fail.

I'm getting a bit wary of the big estate and would like to buy a smaller runabout. maybe a C1 or a little smart car
one with the uprated sump. if I can split 9k between 3 cars each year I could afford to keep my Xantia going.

Have just renewed the CV insurance and it has been hiked by £40 because of my prang in the Xantia that's really unfair.
Last edited by falling-out-with-my-car on 22 May 2016, 16:21, edited 2 times in total.
falling-out-with-my-car

Xantia_V6 ok for parts at the Mo thanks for the offer
shes stood me in for about £90 so far but that's a tiny amount compared to letting the Insurance company writer her off
2 weeks after a new clutch went in at £500 a pop
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Were the fan blades OK in the end Nigel?
Jim

Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

falling-out-with-my-car wrote:Hello Jim good to see your about, well its eat my Hat time Now because I tried one of my fan blades inside
the casing you gave me Jim and its far to big.
But I found a casing from a 99 Xantia that is identical to mine
on flea bay, so its being delivered to Argos for me by Tuesday
a complete unit bar the condenser radiator.
if you'd like the casing and fan blades back Jim I'd be happy to oblige.

fortunately the plastics took the brunt of the damage and there are no dents in the metal work at all.
I've found a third radiator tucked between the water radiator and the condenser radiator
it seems to cool the air for the turbo and doesn't look like it has any fluid in it at all

I'm thinking of selling my estate as soon as she's back together at 189K she has brand new clutch
and a new heather matrix to fitted about 2 years ago By Barry at Bourne Citroen.
recent Bosch alternator to. hopefully your donated air/con radiator will do the trick and get the cool air blowing again.
cambelt has about 25K to go before replacement to and I'll be fitting a new cam cover seal
and hopefully sorting the idle issue out I'm in two minds at the mo. maybe Ill plummet for a 3rd car and keep her
insured for low mileage i.e 3K a year. my insurance fully comp is going to hike to around £500 a year next year
because of a very silly mistake. hand brake goes on every time I stop now without fail.

I'm getting a bit wary of the big estate and would like to buy a smaller runabout. maybe a C1 or a little smart car
one with the uprated sump. if I can split 9k between 3 cars each year I could afford to keep my Xantia going.

Have just renewed the CV insurance and it has been hiked by £40 because of my prang in the Xantia that's really unfair.
'tis the intercooler, air to air, no fluids. :)