Tyres with best EU ratings for C5 X7

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

osx
(Donor 2022)
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: GSA X
BX 1.6
C5 X7 Auto
C5 X7x2 Manual

Re: Tyres with best EU ratings for C5 X7

Post by osx »

Lenny wrote:The problem with these ratings is that it is down to the manufacturer to do the testing and apparently nobody is policing the results.
That is why cheapo Chinese brands like Landsail have such desirable ratings - they are simply made up.
This was from a chap that owned twenty tyre depots so is presumably true.
Although it is a self-certification process, the ratings are based on protocols specified by European authorities with penalties for non compliance. If the ratings were not true, I would think the competitors would be the first ones to point it out.
C5 X7 Exclusive 2.0 HDi Auto
C5 X7 Exclusive 2.0 HDi Manual
Xantippa
My Cars: Now:
C5 X7 HDi 240 Exclusive Tourer
ZOE 22kwh Intense
Before:
C4 1,6 Coupe Automatic
C5 X7 HDi136 Exclusive Sedan A
Xantia HDi110 Berline
Xantia 1,8SX Berline

Post by Xantippa »

I just wonder how Landsail is so good also in the tests on car magazines? I was sceptic over chinese tires earlier, but now it seems that they really are good. I'm actually quite angry I was forced to buy Michelin's last time, when I could have bought better Landsails for 1/3 of that price. Unfortunately I had a puncture in wrong place during holiday trip, and there wasn't many tires to choose from... Next time I'll certainly go with LS.
osx
(Donor 2022)
BX 1.6
C5 X7 Auto
C5 X7x2 Manual

Post by osx »

Have a look at the tyre label simulator

http://www.rezulteo-tyres.co.uk/tyre-la ... el-savings
Lenny
My Cars: 1986 2cv Charleston
1986 2cv Special
2010 C5 2.0HDi Exclusive Tourer Auto
1992 VW Corrado VR6
1970 Vw Beetle

Post by Lenny »

On my Xantia I went from a pair of 15 year old (original) Michelins on the rear and a mismatched pair of Chinese ditch finders on the front to a set of Goodyears that were chosen specifically as they had the quietest noise rating.
I honestly noticed no difference in noise whatsoever, although thankfully it gripped an awful lot better.

There was another figure being banded about when the tyre labelling came in a few years ago. It was said that the difference between fitting tyres that were A-rated for fuel economy rather than G-rated equated to about a tank full of fuel per 80,000 miles.
So not a huge amount of difference in the grand scheme of things.

Now I buy whatever premium branded tyre is the best value at the time. On my new C5 X7 I've just replaced a perfectly good set of Nexens (6mm tread) with a set of Pirellis just because I don't trust cheapo tyres. I think they might be marginally quieter but it may be just in my head!
osx
(Donor 2022)
BX 1.6
C5 X7 Auto
C5 X7x2 Manual

Post by osx »

Lenny wrote: It was said that the difference between fitting tyres that were A-rated for fuel economy rather than G-rated equated to about a tank full of fuel per 80,000 miles.
So not a huge amount of difference in the grand scheme of things.
It's closer to £1000 over 80,000 miles according to the calculator (with current low diesel prices) so definitely not a small amount.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

osx wrote:Have a look at the tyre label simulator
http://www.rezulteo-tyres.co.uk/tyre-la ... el-savings
That 'calculator' is about as much use as an ice cube in the North Pole! :shock: :lol:
Lenny wrote: Now I buy whatever premium branded tyre is the best value at the time. On my new C5 X7 I've just replaced a perfectly good set of Nexens (6mm tread) with a set of Pirellis just because I don't trust cheapo tyres. I think they might be marginally quieter but it may be just in my head!
I understand your feelings about the real budget tyres - but they are selling nexen and Fulken in mainstream tyre depots now along with more of the other Chinese brands of tyres. They have to be DOT approved for use in UK, so it's got to be a matter of choice for each driver and their car as to how they handle - as they are all different IMO. Not withstanding the price of rubber having sky-rocketed over recent years, but I think the big manufacturers have finally realised people are not going to pay those ridiculous prices for a tyre - not too long ago those Michelin Primacy 3s were going for £180-90 a tyre in places like ATS! - and marginal savings elsewhere. Vote with your wallet and shop around! I now get mine delivered and fitted wherever I can as there are still big savings to be had over the larger tyre fitters. As verified above - Camskill, Tyretraders, Oponeo - these are all good suppliers with keen pricing. I previously used Tyre shopper and Blackcircles until they were taken over by the AA and ASDA respectively IIRC - then overnight their prices shot up too!
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
BenC5HDi
Not Mike
My Cars: '07 Peugeot 207 1.4 "Sport" (Ha!)
'04 Berlingo Multispace 2.0 HDi with a 123BHP remap

Post by BenC5HDi »

I always get mine from Camskill now. It always works out cheaper to have them delivered and fitted by my local place.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
osx
(Donor 2022)
BX 1.6
C5 X7 Auto
C5 X7x2 Manual

Post by osx »

Couldn't resist the temptation and fitted the Landsail today. B,B,69, £90 for two tyres fitted.
osx
(Donor 2022)
BX 1.6
C5 X7 Auto
C5 X7x2 Manual

Post by osx »

These tyres are really good noise wise. Had the opportunity to compare with friends X7 (same engine but Auto) over the same 30 mile route over a week and noise was 2dB lower but I think it was more the type of noise that was different - the Landsail had a lower frequency noise like a hum compared to the harsh noise from the Falkens.