C5 x7 handbrake mot fail

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Re: C5 x7 handbrake mot fail

Post by jgra1 »

changing the rear discs and pads on a c5 is a walk in the park to be honest! I took as long as I could and still only 2 hours.. start to finish..
as said elsewhere, you may need to do a bit of grinding on both faces of the disc and then rotate it, to remove the caliper..
you can see the change was needed.. this was mot'd last Saturday and not used since.. the side that seemed to pass the handbrake test is the side with no pad left..
I ran out of time to get the handbrake tested locally.. but some slow 'coasting' on the mud and both wheels lock up with the handbrake on.. so fingers crossed ;)

thanks for all inputs.. I will try for the retest in the coming week :twisted:
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Blimey - they do look like they've been through the wars - a right pair of UFOs!
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
MG TF 135
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R

Post by jgra1 »

ahhrrgghh

Disaster

I spoke to soon..something has gone wrong.. help really needed .. I wish I had learnt more about C5 calipers but alas I haven't :(
Chaps, took the car to retest earlier.. about 15 miles away.. the handbrakes scraped through.. they actually passed but as usual the drivers side was substantially lower than the passenger side.. so all the pads and discs haven't really helped..
during the test, using the 'full handbrake application' (my idea) the nearside caliper locked on..the car then failed on that.. the car moved about 1/2 a mile and I quit with a very hot disc.. I waited an hour and moved her to a public car park and that was that.. she's stuck there

what on earth haven't I done? should I have done? can I do now?

I followed this guide mostly (but I didn't bother to let the bleed off before winding the piston back clockwise - which was very easy to do) and I didn't bleed the brakes afterwards.. I don't know why I didn't to be honest..

•If doing this on the ground, chock the front wheels front and rear sides
•Suspension in lowest setting
•Gearbox in Park
•Set the auto park brake feature to OFF. With ignition on, push the left roller in the steering wheel pad, go to vehicle parameters, scroll to auto park brake, push roller to change to un ticked, then scroll to OK and push.
•Foot on brake, push park brake "lever" so that park brake dis-engages (whirr from under car). Park brake should now be off. Turn off ignition.
•I did not disconnect the battery. You may choose to do so
•Remove key from barrel. Idiot proofing feature
•Loosen rear wheels studs ready for removal and jack one side of car and remove wheel. Use extender stud to make life easier.
•Remove park brake cable from its connector at the base of the calliper then withdraw including its plastic guide. Take note of how and where the rectangular guide around the cable attaches
•Remove brake calliper studs using Torx T55 bit and lots of strength or a percussive persuader against the bar - you need to "crack" the Loctite used to hold the studs in. It’s a bit of a fiddle to get the tools in the right place and be careful of the brake hose when doing the top stud. To me it looks to easy to damage if you slipped in enthusiasm.
•If your discs and pads are very worn you may need to completely remove the disc and calliper together. It should be about a T27 torx to remove the two screws in the disc
•As mine were well worn I had to do the previous step and also decided to remove the brake pipe. 11mm spanner. Have a suitable pipe and vessel ready to collect dribbling brake fluid
•Once the disc and calliper were off I had to gently press the calliper back against a padded hard surface to get the remaining fluid out so that the calliper would open enough to remove the disk and then pads.
•As I later found it also makes refitting easier if you remove the tension spring that is attached to the park brake lever arm after removing the calliper.
•Remove the anti rattle spring from the front face of the calliper
•Remove the outer and inner old pads – there is a small tension spring attached to the the calliper edge of the inner pad. Use a little force and the whole pad and spring will come out.
•Using a suitable piston wind back tool, wind the piston back in – clockwise both sides. This works much faster without the park brake lever tension spring in place as I found on the second side I did.
•Clean the calliper as much as you wish with a suitable product.
•Grease the slides of the calliper with a suitable grease.
•Fit new disk and marvel at how clean and shiny it is (no pics taken! D’Oh!!)
•Place new inner pad in calliper then new outer.
•Ensure calliper is fully relaxed and then fit over the disc edge and guide into place using one of the calliper studs as a temporary holder
•Put a small amount of Loctite on the other stud and fit to finger tightness.
•Remove the holder stud and Loctite and refit to finger tightness
•Tighten both studs using a bar and tool
•Refit brake hose if you have removed it
•Reconnect the tension spring to the park brake lever if you removed it.
•Reconnect park brake cable ensuring you reconnect the guide on the outer of the cable
•At this time I had to refit this side wheel then do the same procedure on the other side as I did not have the car on stands to hold the whole rear of the car up. If you’re doing this on a hoist or with the rear completely on stands then proceed to do the whole procedure on the other side of the vehicle
•After completing the second side and you have double checked that all connections are in place – brake lines, park brake cable, park brake tension spring – then proceed to the normal process of bleeding the rear brakes - this may be with a brake bleeding device or with an assistant starting the car and activating the brakes to your instructions.
•Once you are confident the brakes are bled properly, have the assistant manually activate the park brake. Then turn the park brake off. If all looks ok, then activate the park brake again and get the assistant to hold the lever for a few seconds for Maximum Tightening of Park Brake and the resultant “Boing” sound from the console.
•All should be OK
•Refit wheels, lower car and tension studs.
•If you usually use the auto park brake feature ensure you reactivate it through the vehicle’s menu as you are used to it working and don’t want to return to the car one day and not find it….
•Take for a careful drive to check the kwalitee of yaw werk.

I don't really understand what goes on in a C5 caliper.. eg the wind back, an idiots guide to the units would be good..even older c5's

I have read something about older c5's where you are supposed to somehow set the piston out so the pads are nearly touching the disk.. what why how?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Do you think you have applied the 'Dynamic Emergency Braking'? Pulling on the switch and holding it there is supposed to bring the car to a halt in an emergency assisted by the ESP.
If you have now got the brake locked on and it won't release, have you tried the emergency release? I'll type it up here in case you don't have ready access:

Unlocking in emergency

In the event of the electric parking brake malfunctioning or the battery running flat, an emergency manual device can be used to unlock it.
1 Immobilise the vehicle, with the engine running, by engaging first gear (manual gearbox) or position P (automatic gearbox), then switch off the ignition and remove the key.
Note: If it is impossible to immobilise the vehicle, do not action the unlocking control and urgently contact a CITROËN dealer

2. Fetch the vehicle block located in the boot.
3. Immobilise the vehicle by placing the block in front of or behind one of the rear wheels.
4. Open the lower compartment of the central armrest by pulling upwards.
5. Ensure that the cup-holder B is folded back.
6. Remove the rubber mat covering the base of the armrest.
7. Disengage the strap from its location C.
8. Pull the strap to unlock the brake. A loud click confirms that the brake is unlocked.
9. Make sure that you position the strap back in its location C. If not, the application of the parking brake will not be possible. Contact a CITROËN dealer.
10.Refit the rubber mat at the base of the armrest.
11.Remove and store the block

This strap cannot apply the parking brake.
To re-engage the electric parking brake (once the malfunction or the flat battery has been resolved)
Make a long pull on the control lever A until the parking brake warning lamp (!) flashes on the instrument panel then make a second long pull until this warning lamp remains lit permanently.
The time for applying the brake subsequent to the emergency unlocking will be longer.
While the parking brake has not been re-engaged (flashing then permanent lighting of warning lamp (!) on the instrument panel), you must keep the ignition switched off to avoid damaging it.

Hope this helps.

Marc
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
MG TF 135
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R

Post by jgra1 »

hi Marc.. thanks for replying

an interesting point - if on a rolling road, will the brake system do the emergency response..? depends on the speed I guess - which is measured from the front wheels or gearbox?

we all (myself , mot tester and others assumed the handbrake was now stuck on - hammers appeared etc - car was blocking the bay , day was over and also I needed to slope home with my fail) but when the car crawled to the car park, I grabbed some ramps and took a closer look.. and soon realised that the handbrake actuation lever was against its resting place..handbrake overrideden - cable loose and removed ...

so I can only assume the main rear nearside piston is stuck slightly on, applying 40kgs ..

I just don't understand C5 calipers at all enough ..

I now read some horror stories about dirt going back into the system if you don't release the blled nipple when winding in.. abs pumps.. and my mind does its usual ;)
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I don't know what to suggest John - have you got the bleeding procedures there? If you need these sending let me know.

Marc
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
MG TF 135
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R

Post by jgra1 »

def need those Marc :O :)

I wonder if I can release the pressure by bleeding in the car park so at least I can get her back ..
I don't even know if an un mot'd car can sit in a council car park these days or any days really..I just don't know what has gone wrong with her to be sure ... i want a look inside a c5 caliper :) but I may have done some major damage already..

thanks for your help so far :)
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

No worries John, I've got your email - I'll have a dig now and send these on to you.

Marc
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Not sure it's anything you've done or not done John - sounds like the caliper has seized up. I've got the other problem on my 307 - the NS doesn't work very well at all, handbrake is near non existant! I don't really understand how the self adjust mech works, some arrangement of sliding cones and threaded parts. You might be able to release it by taking the caliper off and winding it back in a bit. Suspect you will need to get a new caliper on it.
Richard W
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
MG TF 135
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R

Post by jgra1 »

thanks Richard..

I am happy to throw both 120K callys in the bin or over tunbridge wells houses - if it sorts this and also sorts the underlying mot issue :) - I feel that I may do this anyway as otherwise i am more lost than a lost thing..

Can anyone tell me of part numbers etc .. I will check the usual cheapy places tomorrow..

wondering all evening how the caliper will come off, with the pressure.. at least there is no ridge on the discs
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Email Sent John with all the diags - part numbers too added in light of the above!

Marc
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
MG TF 135
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R

Post by jgra1 »

Marc thanks all received :) will look through them tomorrow and hatch a plan!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

There's a cable layout of the handbrake mechanism buried in there too, so some breakfast reading there John.
Rear Disks:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-CITRO ... Swo6lWJkdG

Rear Calipers
http://www.gsfcarparts.com/parts/brakin ... ke-caliper
(note £48 refundable when sending y our old one back).

Just a few suggestions seeing as I had a few minutes spare! :wink:

Marc
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
MG TF 135
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R

Post by jgra1 »

thanks for help Marc..
not a lot of luck today.. GSF only have one caliper.. the drivers side rear.. I may change this but its not the problem today.. they may get the other in a week.. i.e. they have one c5 x7 EPB rear caliper in the country, and will have one more in a week! they said there isn't much call for them..
ECP don't seem to have any
an online place has plenty of manual handbrake ones but no electric

Mr Auto has them, more £ but I may have to go that route..

for now I am going to re visit the stricken car sometime and I may try to remove the locked cally and - I dint know really.. wind her in, bleed her.. drive it home without braking much.. or get the car recovered home ..

I wish I knew why the handbrake was not so good in the first instance.. as a caliper is pricey but the handbrake motor and cables makes the car almost scrap! if buying new
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Have you asked here:

http://www.biggred.co.uk/
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.