Lexia woes

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Re: Lexia woes

Post by xantia_v6 »

Our 308 is a 2011 old shape. I need to decide whether to buy a new interface for it. The old one is fine for the XM and Xantia.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Really hard to say - if you can use Diagbox 6.01 you should be able to use 7.01/02. You could always try an upgrade to 7.02 and see if it will work on the 308 - regardless it won't affect the XM or Xantia - it will still launch Lexia for those models.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
t0m_as
My Cars: Past:
P406 1.9TD 1998, SR, Silver
P406 1.9TD 1997, Black Onyx, SV (full w/o Cruise Control)
Now:
P406 3.0i V6 190HP, 07.07.1999 D9, Lucifer Red, SV (full)

Post by t0m_as »

Hello guys,
I will continue this thread instead of opening a new one.
I ordered an Lexia / PP2000 / Diagbox kit from Aliexpress. I dont have it yet, but I hope it will be good for everything. I was looking arround a longer time, and what i know is that the "better chinese clones" are those with full chip pcb-s in it. I tried to choose the best one from China. I ordered this one: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Lexia-3 ... 0.0.a2uLx1 . I hope it will arive shortly, and that it is a real fullchip rev C as the description says ( i will disassemble it right after I'l get it into my hands, and if not I will open a despute and ask for at least a partial refund).
Marc, if I dont bother you too much. I want to use DB 7.56 (or7.57?) - i saw you posting that this is the most stable version for now and it supports cars till Nov.2015. If the kit I ordered is really a C/ rev one (i will use the PSA checker) but with older FW version , is it OK to update it through Diagbox ? What DB version will update this to 4.3.3? Or it is better to use the PSA Checker to update it? Where I can get the 4.3.3 APPLI file, or again - what version of DiagBox comes with the 4.3.3 APPLI version?

Thanks, and sorry about the mistakes that I made with my English knowledge,
Tomas from Hungary
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Hi Tomas and Welcome to the Forum :-D

Just be careful about opening up the unit Tomas, they usually put a warranty seal over the casing and if you open it, this will usually void a claim or refund from them. You should be able to determine the revision from the PSA Checker software without opening the unit.

Regarding the Firmware - Diagbox will automatically install the correct firmware needed for the version you are installing and this also applies to any updates. It important that you only have the correct firmware for the version of Diagbox you are using.

I have listed the firmware versions installed according to the Diagbox version installed here:
https://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/ ... 20#p482216

Having looked at your cars though Tomas, because they are all older than 2007, Diagbox will automatically open up PP2000 for Peugeot, which is the software needed for older vehicles. Stick to Diagbox 7.58 and this will be fine as it contains both Lexia for Citroen and PP 2000 for Peugeot.

Marc
t0m_as
Now:

Post by t0m_as »

First, thank You very much for the quick reply.

I think the warranty is not important for me, especially that if something is wrong, it's cheaper to order a new clone from China than send the defective unit back to them (but this is only my opinion now, maybe its not true, i have to check the postage options to China :) ). Allthrough, when I will not open the unit itself and check only the Revision via the PSA Checker, will be I able to sort out and determinate if all the chips are one the PCB with that blue round "thing" (i dont know for sure if it is a capacitor, resistor, or something else)? See the image please for the thing I'm writing about..
http://www.go2obd.net/images/lexia3%20p ... tion-2.jpg
http://cardiagnosticproduct.bravesites. ... 88f1d9.jpg

I know these things are not so important for mine 406 especially for a semiMUX like this, but I want to help my friends with their cars, and i know a few guys with 307-s where it can be a problem. In our Pug group there are couple of 207's (from 2008 as well), 407's, a lot of 406's, one 508 and one piece of 206+ as well. :P I'm not affraid about about compatibility with this cars, only the 307.

Thanks for the link, i will check the FW as soon as the unit will be here. Can I in theory use older diagbox with a newer FW unit? so if it is for example a 4.3.3FW unit, can I use it with the older 7.02 DB as well as with 7.76?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

HI Tomas. I was also going to say that it is important you get the correct model for any newer cars that you might buy in the future, or to help you friends as you say. Apart from the pictures you have posted there is another component that should be there - a 10k resistor that is usually missing on some of the clones and not shown in the pictures. Usually, the Chinese ones will say they won't work with Peugeot 308 or Citroen C5 - are the ones missing all the chips as an example - but your supplier listing does not list any models, so I can't tell.

Over here, many of our members generally recommend Easydiagnostics.co.uk for the Lexia kits. They are more expensive, but are the full chip versions and are supported with backup and a year's warranty with technical support and access to software updates. They do ship abroad too.

See what happens as you have already placed the order now.

Regarding firmware - No. When you install Diagbox (that automatically installs PP2000 and Lexia as part of the package), the software installs the correct firmware for the version of the software. You must always have the correct level of firmware for the right version. You do not need to do anything as this is installed with the software. As you update Diagbox, the update contains the new firmware. If you have newer firmware with an older version of the software this has been known to cause problems with communicating with the vehicle and other issues.

In this case, newer is NOT always best. Furthermore, I would not update past 7.62, because versions higher than this have had telecoding features REMOVED, as PSA move to online updates, so be warned.

Marc
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team

Post by xantia_v6 »

Just for comparison, I recently bought a lexia clone from a different vendor on aliexpress: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2016-Ne ... 61755.html it arrived fairly promptly and seems to be OK, (I have an issue reading an engine ECU, but I think that it is a diagbox software version issue, not a hardware issue).
Paul-R
Donor 2023
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

How much did the bill come to? What value was declared on the package and did you have to pay import duty?
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team

Post by xantia_v6 »

Paul-R wrote:How much did the bill come to? What value was declared on the package and did you have to pay import duty?
For me, the item was shipped to New Zealand, with "free shipping", nothing extra to pay. The actual value was less than the customs threshold here, so there was no tax to pay.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Goods from China generally come with a "Free Gift" - "Trade Sample"! or a cost of under £15 - import duty/VAT threshold - they have learned!
Most of the stuff I buy is well below the threshold anyway but those that aren't are painless - unlike a few years back, over £100 for a CD by the time Duty, VAT and handling charges were added.
t0m_as
Now:

Post by t0m_as »

So, today I received my lexia, i will pick it up tomorrow (im a Slovakian citizen studying and living in Hungary 7years now, i ordered it to my friend in Slovakia in case that i have to pay import duties - in Slovakia VAT is at 21% while in Hungary it is 27%). The first im going to check will be the serial and the FW versions. im awaiting the results. After that i will instantly test in on two cars, my D9 406 with the older ES9J4 engine and on a 2007 207CC 1.6HDi so if Im right i can test both Diagbox and PP2000 as well. On saturday im going to use it on a D8 406 with 2.0Turbo engine, so im really excited if it will be working OK.
About the package - i was lucky, it passed the import customs check with a 10dollars value so i didnt have to pay anything extra. 65euros as total.

By the way, can anybody tell me where should be the 10k resistor located at the PCB? If i will have som courage for it, i will open up the box to check if it is really a full chip one as the seller stated and in one way I want to check that resistor too.
And maybe i will have more questions in the future about using/fixing/anything else :)
thanks in advance :)
Tomas
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

They are usually sealed with a label, so if you break the seal to open the box, you may void your warranty / or they may refuse a refund in future. The Cars that you have listed in your profile are not likely to have full CAN systems, so this won't be a good test. You'll need to test in on a C5 X7 (2009 on) which are full CAN cars if you want to check your VCI is a full chip unit. Also, it's not just the 10k resistor, some of the optocouplers were missing on non-full chip kits, so fingers crossed you have a good one! Usually the real cheap ones are a giveaway as they won't have all the components in that will work with a Peugeot 307 or a Citroen C5.

Marc
t0m_as
Now:

Post by t0m_as »

So, first tests done. Working correctly, at least with these two cars for the moment. I through the 2007 207 is a CAN-bus one, isn't it? By the way, I already opened a case with the seller, as i wanted the newer sticker with 3 logos on it (A.1291Z sticker) - it was on the pictures in the description, but i received the older one - the 9780.Z5. I don't really care about the sticker but maybe it's a good point to get some money back :D the supplied DVDs were unusable too but i already got the Diagbox from other sources so that wasnt a problem as well.
There wasn't any stickers on or inside the box, I already opened it , there were just the 4 screws on the box and then it came apart. As i saw, it's a full chip one with NEC relays as the description says in on the sellers page. See this link for the pictures on my onedrive if you're interested, maybe you will see something that I wasn't able to see. https://1drv.ms/f/s!AiVAq0RbLtLvh4V8OyrEo1A1qk-j3Q
I checked the FW and REV with the PSA Interface Checker. Its a 921815C unit. Firstly it had the 4.1.3 version FW, and after I started the DiagBox it succesfully updated it to v4.3.2 - i'm going to use DB v7.58 for the moment, i don't think that I will update it to newer one in the next period of time.
Capture.JPG
As soon I'll have an opportunity to test it with a C5 or 307 (is there some restriction, or the cheaper one aren't able to communicate with all of 307's?) i will test is for sure, we will see :)
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Ok, so far so good! Keep to 7.58 and you should be fine.

Marc