Xantia fans

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Xantia fans

Post by CitroJim »

Stickyfinger wrote:I do not think I would do a 10 mile commute in my V6, the extra petrol used when cold will be quite high and they take an age to warm up.
I used to use mine for a 6 mile commute and I can definitely say that it was just getting warm on arrival... Not as bad as when i did the same commute in an HDi Xantia in the winter - the rad was often still stone-cold on arrival!

The C1 is only just warm too after that sort of run...

Hence I commute by bike when I can...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Exactly my point Jim, not a good way to save money if you have a cash flow problem.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Stickyfinger wrote:Exactly my point Jim, not a good way to save money if you have a cash flow problem.
Indeed :) Amazing how much you save (and gain) using a bike for such a commute :wink:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

I for one cannot understand a "10 mile commute" as it is ideal bike-it distance.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

Stickyfinger wrote:I do not think I would do a 10 mile commute in my V6, the extra petrol used when cold will be quite high and they take an age to warm up.
Am a bit puzzled by this.

If it were a diesel, leaving home and heading off downhill, then I'd expect just that: an irritatingly slow warm-up - which is why many modern diesels have electric PTC heaters for the cabin heater.

But we're talking petrol, here, and (by all accounts) one getting through a fair bit of fuel (and therefore generating lots of heat) as well.
So what's not right?
A poorly designed cooling system, or thermostat location or figure?
System designed around a single thermostat?
Heater matrix not running directly off the heads with the thermostat closed?

I've had plenty of cars, even chunky V8's, where the 'stat might have taken a while to open, and the temp gauge to start shifting, but useful warmth comes out of the heater within a few hundred metres of setting off.
Chris
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

The "heat sink" is the important think for an engine, not just the coolant/cylinder temps....also do not forget the gearbox temps, esp with an Auto box.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Stickyfinger wrote:I for one cannot understand a "10 mile commute" as it is ideal bike-it distance.
Bloody excellent for keeping you fit and healthy :wink:
Jim

Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

feck that....use the saved money for Beer and Pies !
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Stickyfinger wrote:feck that....use the saved money for Beer and Pies !
Defeats the object of the exercise :lol:
Jim

xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

I did a 10 mile commute in a Xantia V6, the only route was a busy but narrow A road that was not at all cyclist friendly.

I would say that the heater would be blowing hot air after about a mile and a half.
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Not talking about the hot air, I am talking about it being bad for the engine and s**t on the economics
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Stickyfinger wrote:Not talking about the hot air, I am talking about it being bad for the engine
Indeed... Agreed that hot air soon issues from a V6 on even the coldest days but...

I noted that when I used my C1 on my short commute last winter the oil became contaminated with 'mayonnaise' to the extent I had to change it long before it was technically due...

This winter, not using it for the commute, I did not have the problem at all.

My bike power unit enjoys mayonnaise actually, especially when combined with hard-boiled eggs :wink:

On the subject of hot air, you can't beat a TCT Activa for speed in that respect. I have heat at the end of my Close and that's yards away from my drive... That includes the wait for the hydraulic pressure to rise up which nicely starts up the warm-up process...
Jim

white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

Stickyfinger wrote:The "heat sink" is the important think for an engine, not just the coolant/cylinder temps....also do not forget the gearbox temps, esp with an Auto box.
No, no. That's dodging the issue.
Auto'box produces heat, so should - in terms of getting things warm - should be better than a manual.

Given the considerable quantity of fuel being burned, what's been described has all the classic symptoms of far too low a thermostat opening temperature, or too much of the cooling circuit not being isolated by the 'stat.

Maybe there's a good reason why the 2.5 XM has two 'stats - and this big lump, burning tiny amounts of fuel compared to the V6, warms up really quickly.
Chris