specalist knowledge in 1.9TD xantias and idle speed.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: specalist knowledge in 1.9TD xantias and idle speed.

Post by CitroJim »

Estate rear disc pads are different (bigger) and may be a bit scarcer than hatch ones...

Desperately sorry to hear of Martin's problems :( I'll be rooting for his full recovery...

Nigel, pleased to hear you gave up the fags even though your craving for nicotine continues...

I replaced my smoking addiction with another addiction and never looked back since... Did wonders for my health :D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

I think you are probably one of the healthiest people I know off Jim.
all that Cycling can only be doing you good. as I said I used to race at Portsmouth North End Cycling club
with a Peugeot 501 carbon alloy frame and campagnolo gears and fixed chain set. The frame alone was high tech in those days
and cost me about 2 grand. tubs or tubeless tyres were not cheap either.

The chain set and gears were about £300.00.

you could pick up the whole 25" framed racing bike with your little finger easily.
we used to cycle on the track behind an old CZ 250 motorbike which had a steel roller mounted on the back
in the slip stream of the motorbike we could get up to almost 55mph and sustain it for about 2-3 miles.

in the winter time indoors out of the rain we trained on rollers and you could build up to around 55-57 mph
and keep that speed for about 30 mins at a time, any faster and you'd jump the bike off the rollers.
very dangerous.

in the spring and summer weather permitting, we cycled every Sunday on road bikes up the 1 in 5 gradient of portsdown hill
and made our way out to Alton and back from Porchester which is half way between Portsmouth and Gosport.
on a weekly time trial circuit of 50 miles. my best time for 50 miles was just under 2 hours.

when I stopped my Knees started swelling up with fluid on them and after quite a few races I had to have my knees drained.
by the doctors. but heck I enjoyed cycling a lot so I kept at it for years. until my knees swelled so much that I started hitting them on the crossbar.
then I had to stop racing.

My road bike sat in my shed and rotted for years and it ended up going to the local tip, a very sad day that was.

My favourite run was around the sea wall from Portsmouth to Porchester in the early morning 5 am as the sun hit the sea water in
the summer time going to work, I could stop on the sea wall just a few minutes open my flask of coffee and look out across the harbour.
it settled my mind and helped to relieve the stresses & responsibilities, of having a young family two kids and being married at age 22.
it reminded me every day that I hadn't even lived yet........

Nigel.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

That is so sad to read Nigel :( I think once your body is used to a lot of exercise it needs it constantly then to keep healthy...

I know I do as if I don't I just don't feel right at all... It's every day for me...
falling-out-with-my-car wrote:I think you are probably one of the healthiest people I know off Jim.
all that Cycling can only be doing you good.
Not only cycling but running, kayaking, karate and swimming too...

My day normally begins with a decent run, a swim and a bike ride to work.

This evening I'm taking part in a charity triathlon comprising a 3 mile run around a lake, a 1.5 mile kayak on the lake and a swim across the lake!

A prelude to proper triathlons next year...

As I say, I'm addicted!
falling-out-with-my-car wrote: My road bike sat in my shed and rotted for years and it ended up going to the local tip, a very sad day that was.
That is just tragic :( I'm after a vintage racing bike too as I want to take part in L'Eroica, an event for vintage bikes wearing period gear...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

The Peugeot 501 alloy framed fixed wheel bike is still at Portsmouth North end Cycling club
and it is used for newbies to train on.
over three seasons my time trials were getting better and better over the 50 mile run each week
I had a very real prospect of taking part in the tour de France, after National trials,
then I got blood clots in my legs and lungs
and kept getting them year after year from 1889 to the present day.

life can be very challenging indeed.

I don't think its sad at all Jim ...it is life ...we all get what we get and we have to make the best of it I suppose...

cheer up mate...... :wink:
Last edited by falling-out-with-my-car on 23 Sep 2016, 10:26, edited 1 time in total.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

falling-out-with-my-car wrote: I had a very real prospect of taking part in the tour de France
:cry: Nigel, I'm devastated for you... Words cannot say how sad I feel to read that...
falling-out-with-my-car wrote:life can be very challenging indeed.
Tell me about it... :twisted:
Jim

falling-out-with-my-car

It certainly is a challenge trying to flog a 2cv............ :rofl2: