specalist knowledge in 1.9TD xantias and idle speed.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Harlequin
Donor 2023
My Cars: Xantia Activa - one day I`ll own her again! Also miss my `old` 405 GLx4
2005 C5 3 Litre V6 Exclusive in Mauritius Blue and my 1997 Xantia Exclusive V6

Re: specalist knowledge in 1.9TD xantias and idle speed.

Post by Harlequin »

does your pump have the black damper at the front?
Simon
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

No-no damper on mine Simon.
I tried one once and it made the throttle stick even more.

is there anything wrong with connecting the vacuum pipe to the diaphragm permanently?
and just forgetting the egr or is the egr a necessary evil?

Bearing in mind mines a face lift model without a cat in the exhaust system.
being 1998 I just managed to get away with removing the cat altogether and putting a 1995
straight pipe all the way through these Bosal pipes are £30 on eBay so cheep and cheerful to.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Any 12V operated vacuum valve should do the job OK... As said, doesn't necessarily have to be the exact one...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Harlequin
Donor 2023
My Cars: Xantia Activa - one day I`ll own her again! Also miss my `old` 405 GLx4

Post by Harlequin »

my emissions got better when my EGR started working (Malcom sorted it last time I saw him , may he RIP)
Simon
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

I thought diesels only had a smoke test so no need for emission tests.
unless they fit EGR to petrol models as well?

I think of Malcolm every time I visit this site
and occasionally I still read some of his posts online accidentally finding them
in a search for information.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
falling-out-with-my-car

how about these I know they are from china but not a massive risk
to the pocket all in all.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2pcs-Plastic- ... Sw5VFWMGaM
Might take about 6 weeks to arrive though.

got to sort my signature don't run veg anymore these days.
Last edited by falling-out-with-my-car on 27 Mar 2016, 19:14, edited 1 time in total.
Harlequin
Donor 2023

Post by Harlequin »

Sorry your right mine was smoking like a trooper but fixing the egr so it opened helped
Simon
falling-out-with-my-car

Ok so a proper repair is the only option then.
will you come back when you decided which valves
to use and post a picky here and where you got them please?
I'll do the same with mine.
fortunately I have a spare shelf where the ABS is mounted on most Xantias
Maybe I can make a bracket to fit on the shelf if there is a space issue.
Harlequin
Donor 2023

Post by Harlequin »

I'm thinking about just bypassing it completely , as the fast idle is the only thing on that circuit - no sure how the egr works oO
Simon
Harlequin
Donor 2023

Post by Harlequin »

aha right I have 2 as well - just different locations , so bypassing the fast idle valve by plugging directly into vaccum should be fine

Simon
falling-out-with-my-car

that still doesn't really answer my earlier question, does bypassing the electro-valves
and ignoring the EGR completely matter or does the EGR valve have to operate?
what are the consequences of the EGR not functioning at all?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

You can just disconnect the EGR valve and plug its vacuum feed with no ill effects Nigel. Remember earlier 1.9TDs lived very happily without EGR.

EGR is there only to help reduce NOx emissions. These are not subject to any MoT or other test.

You may even find an improvement in running with EGR defeated as the engine is no longer ingesting exhaust gas...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
falling-out-with-my-car

Thanks Jim,

That's the excuse I was looking for 8-[

Now to try and solve my Fathers Mk1 vsx doing the same thing and that doesn't even have a vacuum pump.
let alone a diaphragm and cable or electro-valves or EGR #-o 8-[

Cheers Nigel.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

His issue is very likely to be air ingress Nigel...
Jim

falling-out-with-my-car

yes Jim,

I started his car up today as he's not driving at the moment owing to open heart surgery. =D>
and strangely enough the fuel is running back to the tank, #-o
so its a good three or four squeezes on the bulb to get the fuel up before she'll start.
I've also got a few small bubbles in my fuel line to, #-o
I think its high time I had some new fuel line installed, My old BX had it done at 90K
I should think its over due at 188K on the Xantia.
I've been putting it off because of the way the line is attached to the connections with those rather odd clips and O-rings.
it doesn't really pay to mess around to much with the fuel system when running veg oil, I'm just glad I don't do that anymore. :roll:
very messy stuff recycled veg oil.
I have now connected my Vacuum pump on the camshaft directly to the Diaphragm, but its far to cold to get the engine really hot.
I'll post more if and when it turns out to be a success *dam that's probably done it now* #-o . quick quick touch wood. [-o< [-o< [-o<