Old XM or Older?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Old XM or Older?

Post by CitroJim »

Stickyfinger wrote:But all solid under ?
And that on an XM is the most important thing...

Most of the rest of the problems are the normal XM stock faults and not too hard to fix... It just takes a lot of time.

Sounds like an excellent restoration candidate to me, with everything that needs to be good pretty much there..

I do agree it'll be a lot of work but worth it if you have the time and resources to devote to it. That, in my experience, is the issue!

At £100 it is now a bargain!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I think I would be inclined to agree with Jim, XMs with a solid body are getting very rare now and 2.1s are like hens teeth. You may not find another one.

Peter
Saraphee
My Cars: Citroen Xantia S1 Exclusive (Thai Version)
Citroen ZX 2.0i (Thai version)
Lotus Elite
Isuzu Grand Adventure
Rochdale Olympic
Scimitar SE5a

Post by Saraphee »

Look forward to the video - I need to learn a lot before I venture down the XM trail..............
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Saraphee wrote:Look forward to the video - I need to learn a lot before I venture down the XM trail..............
It is a road of high adventure and deep heartbreak at times but like anything, the end result is well worth it... I just wish I could physically fit comfortably into an XM :twisted:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

You make it sound like you are too big for an xm Jim, rather than the other way [emoji23]
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

I ran them for over 15 years, the initial learning curve is a bit steep but once you have mastered them you cease being afraid.

Peter
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

daviemck2006 wrote:You make it sound like you are too big for an xm Jim, rather than the other way [emoji23]
Yes, now I come to read it, I do don't I :lol:

It is the opposite way around, even a C1 feels big to me!

In an XM I feel the need of a booster seat :roll:

I fit an Activa well though, due to the adjustable seat bolsters...
Jim

BenC5HDi
Not Mike
My Cars: '07 Peugeot 207 1.4 "Sport" (Ha!)
'04 Berlingo Multispace 2.0 HDi with a 123BHP remap

Re: RE: Re: Old XM or Older?

Post by BenC5HDi »

CitroJim wrote: I just wish I could physically fit comfortably into an XM :twisted:
Good god. You big fat git [emoji3]

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Re: RE: Re: Old XM or Older?

Post by CitroJim »

BenC5HDi wrote:
CitroJim wrote: I just wish I could physically fit comfortably into an XM :twisted:
:rofl2: After all I ate on Saturday I deserve to be!
Jim

daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Old XM or Older?

Post by daviemck2006 »

BenC5HDi wrote:

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
He must be a heck of a size to not get into an xm. I'm a big fat git, and I have never driven one, but I have sat in one and I fitted with room to spare!
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Old XM or Older?

Post by CitroJim »

daviemck2006 wrote:He must be a heck of a size to not get into an xm. I'm a big fat git, and I have never driven one, but I have sat in one and I fitted with room to spare!
Let's put it this way Davie... Two of me can comfortably sit in an XM driver's seat... :lol:

They're not cars for little people in my experience... I loved my XMs but used to slide all over the place when driving... I reckon 10 of me could sit in the back...
Jim

Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

I'm not small and I fit them fine. :-D I wouldn't describe XM seats as being small by any stretch of the imagination.

Peter
Photeauart
My Cars: In a former life I have owned a GSA, Visa, Dyane, CX Safari and miss them all!!! Hankering after a DS to get some character back into my wheels but may settle for a good XM if I can track one down. HELP! UPDATE…
Now proud owner of a 91 BX19 TXI.

Post by Photeauart »

I can't comment on Jims' stature but you have all got me wondering now! Yes, apart from some sill rot, front door bottoms starting to fall apart and what appeared to be superficial corrosion it seems sound. Floors all appeared fine, B post bottoms, inner rails etc all ok I think. As I looked at it I could see a list of parts getting longer and costly or difficult to source if I'm honest, the rise lever was jammed solid, lenses broken etc, sunroof assembly, door mirror electrics, central locking dead and the like. All the plastic bump strip was badly weathered and looked irretrievable. When I balanced that against some, on the face of it, appear to be reasonably sorted examples currently on ebay or the classic websites for £600 to £1500 ish it started to look like a money pit that I wouldn't be able to use for some considerable time without throwing £ notes (can't get those anymore!!!) at it. But you get my drift. Tell me I'm right… or wrong of course. I won't be offended.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

I'm 5 foot 11, weigh just barely 59Kgs, have a 30" waist and I can hide by turning sideways... BMI bordering on anorexic but ironically I'm one of those that the standard BMI calculation doesn't apply. I train hard each day and am as fit as a butcher's dog... My preferred mode of transport is a bike - one you pedal! I do far more miles by bike than by car.

Back to the XM. There's loads of rotten ones about that would make an ideal spares donor for the one you've looked at. As has been said, with an XM body condition is everything. Believe me, they can rust while you wait so a fundamentally sound one is worth its weight in gold but at the end of the day it depends on how much resources you can devote to it. If you have loads of time, the facilities and able to have a rotten spares donor then the project is viable but if none of those conditions can be met then I agree that for you it'll be a no-go.
Jim

bxzx16v
My Cars: Past Frenchies , 4xBx16v,1xBxGti,1xBxTzd,2xZx Volcanes,1xZx reflex,1xPug 405mi16, 3x Xantia 1.9td's,1x Xantia activa, 2x Renault 25 V6 turbo, 1 Zx16v ,1 Pug 406 V6 coupe ,1x C8 , 1x Berlingo van , 1x Xanti 2.1td , 1x Renault Laguna 3

Post by bxzx16v »

Theres two Xm's on Autotrader at the minute .And an absolutely gorgeous S1 Xantia 2.1td with black leather interior .

Mark
2009 Landrover Freelander 2 TD4se (killed an Audi) , sadly now gone .
2012 Landrover Freelander 2 SD4 AUTO Love it . Now gone .
2014 Ford Bmax 1.0 Ecoboost Zetec . Fantastic little machine .Gone now.
2014 Ford Focus 2.0 Tdci Zetec S with the French heart.