xantia & tree!!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Well -
"Beyond economical repair" simply means the total cost of repair exceeds any similar car's trade value - no matter how fine the car in fact is otherwise.
That's the dilemma for an owner of an elderly car.
How is it with your insurance conditions ?
Is it possible - in practical economic terms - to overtake the "wreck" after insurance paid out ?
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by AndersDK</i>

How is it with your insurance conditions ?
Is it possible - in practical economic terms - to overtake the "wreck" after insurance paid out ?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Usually yes, the insurers will pay out the value of the car minus the value as scrap, minus any excess. Which could leave shaunthesheep having to pay the insurance company.[B)]
Oops, sorry I missed the "in practical economic terms" bit.
Also he will have to prove it's roadworthyness which might mean making more repairs than would have been needed had the dreaded insurance company not been involved.
Homer
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,

Post by Homer »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by shaunthesheep</i>

i've heard people say that i should refuse their first offer? can anyone confirm this? or should i take their first offer?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
First thing is to find out what it is going to cost to replace it with a similar model, then see what they offer. Remember they will base the value on the auction price, I seriously doubt a 1.6 Xantia would fetch anything at all at auction.
If your car had any warranty then that could help your case. Replacement should be like-for-like therefore if you had no warranty you can't expect the value of a replacement with warranty.
You might need to haggle with them long and hard to get any realistic value. The trouble is they are in no hurry to hand over any money and there is nothing forcing them to be in any hurry. Indeed it is in their interest to drag the negotiations out as long as possible. You on the other hand need the money to replace (or repair) the car.
shaunthesheep
My Cars:

Post by shaunthesheep »

well heres an update, ive now got a cheque from my insurance company for £820.00 that is including my excess deduction, so it wasnt as bad as i was expecting.
i will probley accect this offer as i dont reckon that i will get much more than that.[^]
dom
[:p]p.s does anyone know of any good ford forums, like this one so i can start doing some work on my temp car.[:p]
Homer
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,

Post by Homer »

Nice, take the money and run.
What insurance company? I could make a profit out of running cars into trees with payouts like that.
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Ouch...
bet insurers write it off, but bits from scrappy and get it fixed yourself. They (insurers) did same to my last ZX, bought it back as salvage (£45) fixed it with 2nd hand bits (£60) ran it for another 2 years (oh and got £400 off insurance less excess).[:D]