Watch out diesel lovers.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Re: Watch out diesel lovers.

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

white exec wrote: Once upon a time, there was almost nowhere where you could fill up your petrol car, and so drivers made other arrangements - hence the fuel cans carried on running boards. That shortcoming was quickly addressed, and we'll do the same again for battery recharging. Solutions will be various, including inductive recharging for buses while at bus stops and lights.
The "petrol" network in the early days is nicely covered in this article Motor Spirit - the Power behind early Motoring.
...Chemists were also amongst the earliest stockists of what, at the time, was generally referred to as ‘Motor Spirit’, as were hardware stores. The more common term, ‘petrol’, was actually a registered trademark in the early days of motoring and belonged to a firm of importers, Carless, Capel & Leonard. This obliged competitor companies – notably Pratts in the UK – to adopt the perhaps somewhat quaint term of ‘Motor Spirit’ for their product.
The distribution arrangement included supply of "standard" 2-Gallon Square Steel Cans to retailers in multiple units of two cans in a lightweight wooden crate, and as you quite rightly point out, motorists used to carry additional supplies of Motor spirit on the running boards of their cars. From those cumbersome arrangements, the supply of petrol and diesel across the UK has expanded to all parts (although the rural village filling station is rapidly becoming a thing of the past).

Perhaps the current support network for electric vehicles is also at the "cumbersome" stage, but it will expand and difficulties will be overcome. Hand in hand, virtually all car manufacturers offer an electric option now, and the home charging ability is available to all those who want to take it up and quite workable for a daily commute. Certainly up here Nissan Leaf's are not an unusual site on the roads, even saw a Renault Zoe on the A19 the other day.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I cannot remember who said it, but somebody once said that, while they did not know what weapons would be used in WW3, the weapons of choice in WW4 would be the bow and arrow.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

The Dolphins will never have you back once you have gone, besides i hear they are Bose fans.

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Nasty bloody things, killers, rapists, bullies, child eating and all out bastards of the seas only topped by the Chav like Orka who would have Dolphins as water based Staffies if they could work out how to use a lead and keep a studded collar on them.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
Deanxm

Post by Deanxm »

still never seen one handling high explosives though have you?, all you have done is reinforce my beliefe they are next.

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

I have

Ukraine's secret unit of spy dolphins and seals have defected to Russia and are now swimming under Kremlin orders, officials revealed today.
The Army has been using the underwater mammals since the 70s, and they remained under Ukrainian command after the collapse of the Soviet Union.
The bottlenose dolphins are trained to hunt for mines, plant bombs on hostile ships or attack enemy divers with special knives or pistols fixed to their heads.

Any way, after 5 years eating tinned beans I will emerge from my bunker with a stock pile of guns and be KING of the WORLD.........muhahahaha
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: even saw a Renault Zoe on the A19 the other day.

Regards Neil
There's one on the estate where I live. May be the same one as I saw it headed off towards the A19. Wasn't aware they were electric though.
My granddaughter is taken with them as she is called Zoe too :)
Deanxm

Post by Deanxm »

Stickyfinger wrote:I have

Ukraine's secret unit of spy dolphins and seals have defected to Russia and are now swimming under Kremlin orders, officials revealed today.
The Army has been using the underwater mammals since the 70s, and they remained under Ukrainian command after the collapse of the Soviet Union.
The bottlenose dolphins are trained to hunt for mines, plant bombs on hostile ships or attack enemy divers with special knives or pistols fixed to their heads.

Any way, after 5 years eating tinned beans I will emerge from my bunker with a stock pile of guns and be KING of the WORLD.........muhahahaha
Its worse than i feared, the uprising has already begun!
Anyway, after five years in an air tight box eating nothing but beans the only way you or anyone else will emerge is in a gas mask or a body bag.

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92

Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Ah.....but due to the radiation effects, I would of evolved into half human-half baked bean ....
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Nobody would call you half baked, with the work you are doing on that V6 Activa! However, I would make sure to carry a Davy Lamp when I were in the south east, to warn me of your presence.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

Sorry to be a wet blanket, but I wonder whether the contents of this thread partly illustrates why we're in such an environmental mess w.r.t. vehicle transport. Apart from a handful of helpful and rational comments, most of the posts are just idiotic nonsense.

Maybe that's the way some of us cope with overwhelming challenges, but it also allows the frightening and selfish prospects of Trump et al to gain hold, and history tells us where that will end.

Some things are best taken seriously. Sorry about that.
Chris
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Well that brings it back on subject.....then off again to our friend Donald :)

We all accept that heavy oil is a very polluting fuel, there are many "discussions" on the subject of a comparison between it and gasoline as a fuel.
We all accept that when the technology is fully developed and the price point is slightly lower: that electric power will most likely be the fuel of choice for the average driver/car.
Other fuels such as hydrogen may become/certainly need to be developed more.
The impact of mass production of the above power sources is only really known for the fossil fuels, it is unknown what we will do to the planet by the massive increase in the production of either electric or hydrogen. The consensuses is however it will probably (knowing humans) screw the planet to the same effect or worse.

Which brings me back to Donald and me in a bunker eating beans and fighting off attacks from evolved gun carrying baby eating Dolphins.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
BenC5HDi
Not Mike
My Cars: '07 Peugeot 207 1.4 "Sport" (Ha!)
'04 Berlingo Multispace 2.0 HDi with a 123BHP remap

Re: RE: Re: Watch out diesel lovers.

Post by BenC5HDi »

Hell Razor5543 wrote:I cannot remember who said it, but somebody once said that, while they did not know what weapons would be used in WW3, the weapons of choice in WW4 would be the bow and arrow.

It was Einstein, but he said sticks instead of bows and arrows.
BenC5HDi
Not Mike
My Cars: '07 Peugeot 207 1.4 "Sport" (Ha!)
'04 Berlingo Multispace 2.0 HDi with a 123BHP remap

Post by BenC5HDi »

I think you should all watch "Threads"..

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

NewcastleFalcon wrote:
white exec wrote: Once upon a time, there was almost nowhere where you could fill up your petrol car, and so drivers made other arrangements - hence the fuel cans carried on running boards. That shortcoming was quickly addressed, and we'll do the same again for battery recharging. Solutions will be various, including inductive recharging for buses while at bus stops and lights.
The "petrol" network in the early days is nicely covered in this article Motor Spirit - the Power behind early Motoring.
...Chemists were also amongst the earliest stockists of what, at the time, was generally referred to as ‘Motor Spirit’, as were hardware stores. The more common term, ‘petrol’, was actually a registered trademark in the early days of motoring and belonged to a firm of importers, Carless, Capel & Leonard. This obliged competitor companies – notably Pratts in the UK – to adopt the perhaps somewhat quaint term of ‘Motor Spirit’ for their product.
The distribution arrangement included supply of "standard" 2-Gallon Square Steel Cans to retailers in multiple units of two cans in a lightweight wooden crate, and as you quite rightly point out, motorists used to carry additional supplies of Motor spirit on the running boards of their cars. From those cumbersome arrangements, the supply of petrol and diesel across the UK has expanded to all parts (although the rural village filling station is rapidly becoming a thing of the past).

Perhaps the current support network for electric vehicles is also at the "cumbersome" stage, but it will expand and difficulties will be overcome. Hand in hand, virtually all car manufacturers offer an electric option now, and the home charging ability is available to all those who want to take it up and quite workable for a daily commute. Certainly up here Nissan Leaf's are not an unusual site on the roads, even saw a Renault Zoe on the A19 the other day.

Regards Neil
The problem with electric is not the supply points it's the amount of time needed to top up, you can't keep a spare can of it on your running board nor go to a filling station pour in a tank full and continue on your journey, the only way to deal with that would be to have quick change ready charged battery packs available at the recharge stations.

But don't worry about all that, the real target is to get all you serfs out of your cars and back on your push bikes or on the tram, cars have made the ordinary man too free.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.