Which is the best Used Citroen C5 Estate to go for please?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Peter.N.
Donor 2020

Re: Which is the best Used Citroen C5 Estate to go for please?

Post by Peter.N. »

I would agree with the foregoing, the 2.0. 8 valve Hdi is by far the best engine and you can buy the cars for peanuts. I have on I bought about 5 years ago for £550, I had to do some work on it but its been pretty reliable since.

The tailgate struts have failed on most of them and its not a cost effective job to replace them - if you can find any, they will often work in the summer but in winter you have to prop the lid up, I carry a broom handle for the purpose.

They have lots of room and are pretty economical you should average 50 mpg driven sympathetically and the 8 valve engine is pretty bombproof. The newer ones are more complicated and not as easy to work on.

Don't worry about the mileage providing it drives OK, I have a 406 with that engine on 245k and until I left it standing and it got damp it was still running fine on the original clutch and DMF - and most other things.

Peter
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Nigel - For clarification on identifying models:
First is the C5 Mark 1, Second commonly referred to as the C5 Mk 2 (Facelift) and lastly, the C5 Mark 3, or more commonly referred to as the C5 X7 (The Estate 'is called the 'Tourer' in the UK) :-D
falling-out-with-my-car

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

sorry everyone Ive been lost in the Land of caring for my elderly parents now both 83 years old
My mum has dementia and Dad has just had a heart valve replacement i.e open heart surgery.

Thank You everyone for your kindly volunteered information but I have had to sideline my move to a C5
and think hard about putting a new clutch in my Xantia for the time being as my son having lost his job needed a new van
more than I needed a new car, I am somewhat gutted that I haven't had the chance to move to a nice C5 and there are some nice cheap models
out there at the moment I will just have to hope that there are some decent cars available a little later on.
Thanks again everyone life is very tough at the moment but family is more important to me at present.

regards.
Nigel.
KennyW
Donor 2020

Post by KennyW »

Nigel,

I understand re elderly parents father 89 years young and mother 82.

As you say family more important than a car.

Good luck and best wishes.

Kenny
falling-out-with-my-car

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

Cheers Kenny,

I think Time is an issue here as well, having enough spare time to go off on a wrecky
looking at vans has been very tiring alone without looking at C5's to.

thanks again.
Nigel.