C5 x7 steering rack leak

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Re: C5 x7 steering rack leak

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Good luck with number 2 then and thanks for clarifying. I've gone for another year of Extended Warranty for peace of mind.
Homer

Post by Homer »

Homer wrote:Had mine refurbished last May and it was leaking again by Xmas. Just had it done again (under warranty thankfully) I hope this time it lasts a bit longer.

As for turnaround time, dropped it in to my local independent Tuesday morning for the rack removing and sending off for refurbishment and it was back with us Saturday lunchtime.
Aaannnddd it's just dumped a huge puddle of fluid on the garage floor. :x

Back again Monday. It didn't leak like this before though so I suspect it's something different this time.
Homer

Post by Homer »

This time round it was the pipe seals, which seems to be a common problem after the rack has been off.

Garage tried some seals and couldn't get it to stop leaking so resorted to getting new pipes from Citroen.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I think it's the input shaft seals that citroen don't sell. Be prepared though, as there have been cases where the seals don't seem to last it seems. I think that's why Citroën just replace the whole thing! Good luck with it anyway.