Vacuum (suction) oil draining list

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Vacuum (suction) oil draining list

Post by spider »

Hello :-D

I was wondering if there was a list of suitable PSA units for this procedure.

Ultimately its going to depend on if there is *any* obstruction "down the tube" to the bottom of the sump really I guess. I am aware the DW8 received a small update at some point (something along the lines of "modified for suction draining")

Later TU units and the (I do not know the engine code sorry!) the chain drive units that replaced them suitable ?

This is more curious than anything else to be honest but it would be nice to know. I did drain a TUD5 (later one) and it seemed OK.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Re: Vacuum (suction) oil draining list

Post by Stickyfinger »

I have always wondered why anybody would want to do this ?....just a cheap short cut is it not ?
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

When my Mum gets her narrow boat engine serviced they use a suction device. This is because whoever fitted the engine forgot to allow for low down access, and the only way to remove the sump plug would be to remove the engine!
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Zelandeth
Donor 2024
My Cars: 2006 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi.
1988 Renault 25 Monaco 2.0i.
1985 Sinclair C5.
1984 Trabant 601S.
1975 Rover 3500.
1973 AC Model-70.

Post by Zelandeth »

I've done this on a few cars in the past, and as a test then removed the drain plug - nothing has ever been left in the sump.

I generally do it the normal way out of habit, but it's quite handy for cars with really awkward sump plugs - or like the first time I used it, you have a car with a completely siezed in and rounded off - and was definitely not coming out!
Current fleet:
06 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi, 88 Renault 25 Monaco, 85 Sinclair C5, 84 Trabant 601S, 75 Rover 3500, 73 AC Model 70.
BenC5HDi
Not Mike
My Cars: '07 Peugeot 207 1.4 "Sport" (Ha!)
'04 Berlingo Multispace 2.0 HDi with a 123BHP remap

Post by BenC5HDi »

I use a Sealey one on all my cars. I've checked a few times and it never leaves anything in the sump. It's so much cleaner and less hassle if you don't have a car lift. I don't need to get the ramps out, don't need to go under the car (I can do the filters from above), no transferring of oil from drain tray to container to take it to the tip... etc etc.

They're also bloody good for emptying LHM reservoirs before removing them for cleaning... or sucking out brake fluid, or ... well, anything with grubby fluid in. I'd not be without one.
spider

Post by spider »

I'll be honest I only use mine (usually!) in the bad seasons as its not fun lying on the floor (even with suitable things to sit on) in cold weather.

It does serve a real purpose though for as said boat engines, A friend had a narrow boat that was fitted with what appeared to be the ancient OHV LR diesel engine, unfortunately there was *no* way of draining the oil out without removing the engine as the sump area you could not really get at itself never mind the plug :D , so a vac drainer was essential in that case.

Some newer engines I hear (not PSA) are actually devoid of a drain plug...
Andy.

Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

AShh....the new PSA "Sealed for Life" engines that mate to their "sealed for life" gearboxes :)
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
spider

Post by spider »

Stickyfinger wrote:AShh....the new PSA "Sealed for Life" engines that mate to their "sealed for life" gearboxes :)
I remember only too well that discussion. :-D :-D :-D

It boils down unfortunately (at least, as I see it) to the T.C.O (total cost) and for large fleet buyers this is quite important. I think this is partly why service intervals were extended too. The fact the 'life' of the unit might only now be say 100,000 instead of 150,0000 does not matter to either party as it will be well beyond any warranty and well beyond its first owner by then. I should really say to be fair most manufacturers are doing this. I would agree modern oils go a long long way to help but...

I'd not dare leave a car I owned (note: owned as in had to pay for myself!) for any kind of 'fantasy' lubrication interval lol. :rofl2: , oil = cheaper than a new engine. :D , was it one of the Renault diesel units that had an 18K oil change interval at one point ? , Something tells me that got dropped back to 12K on later ones.

I also now note some later manual gearboxes do not have a level plug ( ! ) you are meant to drain and refill if you are not sure of the level. To be honest that is a step backwards as I do remember the first BE3 or BE5 units also were missing their level plug.

Regarding 'no drain plug in sump' I *think* its Jaguar but do not hold me to that I remember a tech who worked at Vauxhall telling me this a couple of years back.
Andy.

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

When I had a Skoda Octavia as a company car, I read up on the maintenance section. I found that it needed a very exacting oil specification (as it had variable service mileage). When I used this this oil I got (apart from a reliable car (although I cannot speak for the emissions!!)) service intervals of about 18,000 miles. A colleague, who had the same spec Octavia, hadn't read that section, and used normal oil, with service mileage of 5,000 miles or so. When I pointed out the need for the right oil, he initially laughed, but then checked the handbook (and with the garage when his car was next serviced). He then switched to the same oil, and got the same service mileage. OK, it may be an excessive service interval, but the right oil helped that car work well.
Last edited by Hell Razor5543 on 11 Feb 2016, 19:34, edited 1 time in total.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Some Smart cars don't have sump plugs & draining the oil is suction only :shock:
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

'Proper' draining means that you remove the undertray and get a look at the underside of the engine and box occasionally - worthwhile in itself.
spider

Post by spider »

There is (or was) one vehicle (One small Audi model if I remember correctly, someone please correct me here if I'm wrong) that did not have a "owner accessible" engine compartment. By this I mean it was bolted (or so it appeared) shut. The usual oil level dipstick / filler , brake fluid and screenwash were accessible via a flap but nothing else.

I think the thing with vacuum draining personally, if the oil changes have been done on time **and** the manufacturer has not set some kind of 'fantasy' interval for them it will be OK as sludge should not really have chance to form.

The diameter of the vacuum drainers is quite small (mine is) as its a metal flexi pipe ultimately.

I have no issues using it in the winter although in the summer I'd prefer a 'plug out' drain although I do know my vehicles are serviced often enough, if that makes sense.
Andy.