Xantia fuel pump leak

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Xantia fuel pump leak

Post by CitroJim »

It should be fine to change it Jaf, no seals on it...

Whilst you're there check the diaphragm (item 6) is not punctured too..
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Jaf
My Cars:

Post by Jaf »

Well it's been a bad few weeks, cars, cats and family, but finally the car is back on the road. Looked at the old pump, worried about it, went and talked to Bosch repairers. They suggested rebuild, €350, or pipe on the end of the air valve, about €20. As I didn't fancy driving her to them (the diesel likes to leak towards the cambelt area) I stuck a pipe on it myself. Running really well, but did advance the pump timing slightly, by ear, as the dial gauge won't fit in the space.

I still intend to fix the pump properly. At least I've got time now, and a proper car.

She passed the Spanish MOT this morning! Emissions were really good, 0.41.
Fred, a silver 1998 1.9TD SX Xantia.
Gwin, a white 1994 1.1 AX.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Good to hear Jaf, especially the MOT pass...

Where does the pipe on the air valve go?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Jaf
My Cars:

Post by Jaf »

Thanks Jim. I cable tied the boot onto the air valve, stuck a metal join in the boot, then the pipe just goes into an old water bottle in the space between battery and bumper. It's only a few drops, even after 120kms. I toyed with the idea of joining the pipe into maybe the leak off pipe, but decided the bottle would do. I did remove the bottle just before the test though!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Excellent Jaf :D Not quite such a bad leak as I was thinking it was...

Are you going to do a proper fix at some point?
Jim

Jaf
My Cars:

Post by Jaf »

Oh yes it's got to be done properly. Else I will worry about the membrane going or the boot popping off.

It was a lot less fuel than I thought, made quite a puddle, seeing how little fuel it actually is has helped calm my mind.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

That's good Jaf :D

Diesel is a bit like LHM in that a small amount can make a very big mess...
Jim