Xantia fuel pump leak

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Re: Xantia fuel pump leak

Post by Stickyfinger »

Typical Man......asleep when the "Earth Moves for her".........
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Stickyfinger wrote:Typical Man......asleep when the "Earth Moves for her".........
:rofl2:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Jaf
My Cars:

Post by Jaf »

Ha, just spat out my tea! No damage, too small, but first one I've felt in 9 years. Quite exciting really.

I feel completely disheartened with Fred though. Started her this morning after charging the battery. The pump leak is back and there is a lot of grey smoke from the exhaust. She is also a bit spluttery. I have just changed the cambelt (this week, not driven anywhere yet) and had to take it apart again as was a tooth out on the cam. My dad has a dial gauge so am going to check pump timing tomorrow. Might end up taking the fuel pump off to get at the banjo bolt to clean it. Or possibly swap with the one off the old pump. I don't think the fuel leak would cause grey smoke but I'm sure it doesn't help.

Arrggh!
Fred, a silver 1998 1.9TD SX Xantia.
Gwin, a white 1994 1.1 AX.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Sorry to hear this Jaf...

Grey smoke is a sign of unburned fuel. It could be connected if the return line back to the tank and/or the banjo is blocked as this can upset the pump function...

Timing being off can definitely cause it too... Are you 100% sure, by the use of all three lockers (crank, cam and pump). that the timing is now spot-on? It is very critical in a diesel.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Jaf
My Cars:

Post by Jaf »

Thanks Jim. I'm going to check the timing for the third time. It looked perfect, it was pinned and then spun the engine round, checked the line up again. If I don't fix it she's going to Juan up the road. Good man, lots of experience.

It just galls me to admit defeat. Hope I don't have to! Will be methodical.
Jaf
My Cars:

Post by Jaf »

Jim, can I double check about this filter housing leak please? Do you know how it works?

What are the little arrows for? Turning it doesn't seem to change anything.

Thanks.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Those arrows are, I believe , pretty much meaningless Jaf... The white bit does not rotate in normal operation.

Just fill the area around the white bit with epoxy resin and that should fix the leak. Just take great care to clean and degrease the area very thoroughly..
Jim

Jaf
My Cars:

Post by Jaf »

Thanks Jim. Just having a lovely hot Choc with cream and marshmallows. It's cold out there and the garage is full of stuff!
Jaf
My Cars:

Post by Jaf »

Right so sealed the fuel filter. That's worked beautifully.

Had another look at the banjo bolt, although the little holes looked clear I changed it with the one on the old pump. Car ran lovely for 30secs, smooth and quiet...then the air valve started leaking again and the car started spluttering and smoking.

Looking at the old pump the air valve shouldn't be anywhere near fuel. As far as I can work out air pressure from the inlet manifold pushes the diaphragm down, the spindle pushes into the pump for more fuel. Can anyone explain? Any ideas for a seal?

Also does anyone know a decent pump refurb company? Am willing to send to UK.

Thanks.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Jaf, yes, there should be no fuel in that area.. Too late tonight but let me have a think and a look at some documentation. I'll be in touch later...
Jim

Jaf
My Cars:

Post by Jaf »

Thanks Jim. Have a good night.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Jaf wrote:Thanks Jim. Have a good night.
I did Jaf, it was our first karate training session of 2016 after a fairly lengthy break for Christmas... It was an intense one!
Jim

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Jaf,

Sorry for the delay but today I had to take my little girl back to University... Nice to take a long run out in the Activa.

Now, your pump. The only place that diesel can get into the area to cause a leak out of the air bleed is past the metering pin shown in the diagram below at Item 4.

Either the pin is excessively worn or the return fuel line back to the tank is blocked. I still suspect the latter. Disconnect the fuel return line at the pump end and blow down the line. You should be able to make bubbles in the tank. If you can't then the line is blocked. A good blow of compressed air normallyl shifts it...

Those two things above is all that it can be... Worn metering pins are vanishingly rare...
Jim

Jaf
My Cars:

Post by Jaf »

Thanks Jim. Great diagram.

I do tai chi, normally gentle but sometimes my instructor surprises us with knives on her fan or something!

Been driving around in my dad's AX, I miss Fred!

Have to go away for a few days, will let you know how it goes next weekend.
Jaf
My Cars:

Post by Jaf »

Unfortunately the pipe is clear. Can I just check...no seals on the metering pin? Is it ok to change the metering pin from the old pump or would it need to be a new one?

Thanks again.