Xantia water leak. At the end of my tether!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Xantia water leak. At the end of my tether!

Post by CitroJim »

Steve, I'm feeling faint now with the mention of B&M :lol:

I'll have to go and lie down for an hour now...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

A recent discovery for me - daughter #1 has been recommending it for a while.
Went to buy a flask for my son who broke his and I couldn't find a replacement in my usual places.
They had them at a very good price but ended up spending a bit over £90 before escaping.
Has to be said that it is 60% tat but the rest is OK.
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

We call it BuM's down here due to the quality of the shoppers.....even Tesco has less numbers of shopping car "leaners"
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

Resurrecting an old thread but seems the logical thing to do now that my Xantia resembles a swimming pool in the rear near side footwell lol
Having had previous experience of the copious amounts of water the foam can absorb i get the feeling that this has been going on for some time. I have had the car for 15 months and can think of only a handful of times when anyone has sat in the back, it went for its mot in September and still has the seat belts connected from then :)
So the old grey matter remembered the stuff about rear lights and sunroof drains and hence here we are again in this old thread.
I have yet to check where it is coming in from but i will try and give as much info now.
No sunroof
Saloon not estate
Car is parked 90% of the time reversed downhill on my driveway overnight, but on the flat and level during the day at work.
Only the n/s rear appears to be wet, the other 3 footwells are dry.
Boot is totally dry and have not noticed any water in rear outer clusters.
Rear washer has stopped working, not checked for roof rack holes, forgot they existed.
Car had spent 10+ years in Spain, only back in UK for 20 months if that helps.
Memory will return when i try to dismantle the interior to get the rear carpet out, but already i remember the front seats and centre console need to come out as the rear carpet sits under the front carpet :(
Any pointers to the rear washer sealing issue and any other pointers will be gratefully accepted, and yes i use the car daily so looks like its going to be the weekend before i can strip it out, and another week of driving around with no rear seat bases or rear carpet, makes a change from the last time when i had no carpet at all and only the drivers seat fitted ( no air bag light on no comment :) ) and a different car not this one lol
If it helps Vin is in my Signature
Sharkie
My Cars: Peguot 306

Post by Sharkie »

Remove upper rubber seal between door and frame and clean it all and whole length of it. It's in a V shape and that's where dirt gets trapped in as well as behind it. It may also leak into the holes behind the seal. It's really a terrible design.
admiral51
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

Okay rear carpet removed, nice and easy cheat meant it only took 15 minutes :)
Remove the rear front seat bolts, remove rear ashtray to allow the 2 x 10mm nuts to be removed,undo the bottom A pillar screws, remove rear seat bases and carpet is easily removed by lifting up the front seats and centre console.
Lots of dirty/muddy water, a new one on me but the foam was not attatched to the carpet, maybe a S2 design last time i did it was on a S1 Xantia.
The fact the water was dirty/muddy and the floor pan on the drivers side rear was clean made me think the leak was not from above, it rains a lot but usually clean rain :)
So i checked the passenger side rear wheel arch and there is a plastic bung/cover that is broken, i think this is where the problem lies.
Will try and get some pics but any ideas on if the part is available still or do i need to find an alternative solution ?
admiral51
Donor 2023

Post by admiral51 »

DSC_0591.JPG
DSC_0592.JPG
First 2 pics show the broken seal ? on the passenger side rear wheel arch.
The last pic shows the now cleaned floor pan but you can see water pooling in the lowest point, although no water running to it on the floor pan, so my guess is water is still lying within the panels/subframe ?
Attachments
DSC_0593.JPG
admiral51
Donor 2023

Post by admiral51 »

Just a quick question, can anyone confirm the part number for the bung in question is 96 130 325.
Do not want to order them if it is the wrong part.

Item #5
00048697.jpg
admiral51
Donor 2023

Post by admiral51 »

Just for posterity the part number is correct as is the item #5.
Ordered 2 new ones from Chevronics Centre @ 4pm yesterday, arrived @09:30 this morning.
30 secs to remove and replace all water tight for now.
Sharkie
My Cars: Peguot 306

Post by Sharkie »

Clean the hole and spray a lot of rust inhibitor there. Else the frame will rot from inside out as it happens on all xantias.
admiral51
Donor 2023

Post by admiral51 »

I am not going to put the rear carpet/padding back in the car until i am sure the water has been removed.
I have no idea how many little seams/pockets the water has got into so my thinking is as it is pooling at the lowest point in footwell that i can see then i will just keep mopping it up, if i put the carpet and backing back in then it will just sit there.
Once it stops showing in the footwell then i will look at doing some preventive measures, my logic being if water can get out then air can get in to help remove moisture

EDIT forgot to say the foam backing has been out for 7 days and is still wet, not drenched but no where near dry lol
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

Good decosion not to pit carpet etc back until leak is definitely gone, amd everything is dried out.
Chris
admiral51
Donor 2023

Post by admiral51 »

So far with the small amount of rain we have had over the weekend i can confirm the good ship Xantia is water tight, still getting a small pool of water in the dip in the previous pics but that is minimal, how long it will take for it to stop pooling i guess could be weeks but reckon it will stop before the foam backing fully dries out :)
On a positive note, no more misted up screen in the mornings regardless of the weather and temperature :)