Floodwater 1 XsaraPicasso (2.0HDi) 1

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

c.morewood
Donor 2023
My Cars: '00 Xantia 110 bhp Hdi SX Estate 65K "W"
'99 Xantia 110 bhp Hdi SX Estate 310K SORN "V"
'98 Xantia 1.9TD SX Estate 150K Sold "T"

Re: Flood water 1 Xsara Picasso (2.0HDi) 0.......Help!!!

Post by c.morewood »

Sorry to hear about your problems Neil.
You might try using the handbrake as additional braking when going downhill. I had to when my fuel pump went and I got towed home by a friend.. great smell of burning, it was only a couple of miles, but the Xantia brakes without any power assistance are next to useless.
You might also try, if you can get the car under cover, a dehumidifier to dry the electrics out. better if you can put a bit of plastic sheet over the engine and the dehumidifier to restrict the air that is being dried out.
I hope it turns out ok.
Chris
Tesla Model 3 LR DM AWD Blue White
'00 Xant 110HdiSX Est 83K "W"
'99 Xant 110HdiSX Est 320K "V"
'98 Xant 1.9TDSX Est 150K "T"
'97 Xant 1.9TD 20k Est
'94 Fiat TipoTd 40K

'85 BMW K100RT 330K Garaged 26yrs '80 Honda CB250 twin Superdream
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Thanks Chris got my fingers crossed too.

Just got back in, and today's daylight has already faded, and outside we have gales and rain.

I don't fancy a towing expedition today and much less a session attempting to remove glow plugs by the light of high beam courtesy of Luton's finest.

So I am going to put off tll tomorrow that which is beyond my capabilities today :-D

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Re "Whipping the Glow Plugs out"

The engine in my Picasso is a 2.0 HDi 90 (DW10 TD) which I presume is an 8-valve.
I am hoping this particular engine has easily accessible ( or at least at the front of the engine!), easily removed at the roadside glow plugs.

Read a bit of stuff on a Peugeot site re changing Glow plugs on a 407 2.0 HDi few decent tips, but no underestimating the potential diffficulties of the job on that particular variant which apparently has the glow plugs at the rear of the engine with all sorts of paraphernalia in the way, and working blind to repalce the glow plugs.

Has many probably competant DIY mechanics being prepared to pay garages to do what should be a simple maintenance job. Quotes from the site cited garages wanting £120 all in with the proviso "provided they come out without incident", to £250, and even up to £400.

May be some element of "If someone came in to me asking for glow plugs to be changed I would quote a ridiculous price as I would not want the job"

Now I hope all of the above just relates to the 16v Variant of the 2.0 HDi....

regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

First rule of trying to do work at the roadside on your car....the tool you need will be in the box back at home.

Took sockets down to 6mm but thats too big to get the stupid little nut off the end of the glow plug.

Initial assessment......Air Filter like a sponge full of water, Airflow sensor also water in, as has pipework up to the corner of the engine.

Glow plugs at front. Far right one looks well enough exposed, others buried amongst awkward looking pipework etc.

....er and parked under a tree in a gale a flying branch has cracked the bottom corner of the windscreen....

regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 06 Dec 2015, 13:53, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
BenC5HDi
Not Mike
My Cars: '07 Peugeot 207 1.4 "Sport" (Ha!)
'04 Berlingo Multispace 2.0 HDi with a 123BHP remap

Post by BenC5HDi »

I believe you can take a couple of nuts off, and lift the wiring loom on top of the injectors out of the way enough to get the glowplugs out without much bother. Using a deep socket helps.
NewcastleFalcon

Thanks Ben, I took that off, and before delving any further went to remove the exposed righthand one and found I needed a smaller socket to get the little nut off. Pliers mole grips or whatever weren't helping so I've come back home, had a bit lunch ready to go back armed with my smaller sockets to try again.

The usual tip of making sure the engine's warmed up to ease with removal will not be applicable for me this time.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

NewcastleFalcon wrote: Theres a gentle is but long climb up from where the car is so that should be ok, then a flat bit on the top of a hill, then a steep downhill stretch of a mile or so wth a S-Bend and adverse camber as you approach the bottom, then a steep uphill climb followed by another steep half-mile down hill bit to my house. Hopefully I can exert enough pressure on th brake pedal to slow me on the downhill bits :-D
Well its back, and there was enough brakes to get bacck safely. The position of the towing bar wasn't ideal...Picasso's towing eye is on the drivers side, Transit towing eye on the passenger side.

Had both front windows down all the way to aid with demisting and a bit of head out the window steering.

When we pulled up at home, pressed the electric window buttons passenger and drivers side.....nothing!

Whats happened? Is this just an obvious case of sod's law?

Any ideas?

regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Zelandeth
Donor 2024
My Cars: 2006 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi.
1988 Renault 25 Monaco 2.0i.
1985 Sinclair C5.
1984 Trabant 601S.
1975 Rover 3500.
1973 AC Model-70.

Post by Zelandeth »

Tow bar in a bus is fun, especially in the dark - especially when the door swings open and turns the cab light on and suddenly all I can see is my own reflection in the windscreen!

It's not just gone into "eco mode" has it and therefore disabled the electric windows or something silly like that? If it's been half drowned though, water could have got into pretty much anything, and I personally haven't a clue where the windows are controlled from.

Glow plugs out and spinning the engine over (remember to disconnect their power feed!) is probably your best bet of getting any water out - though we'll only find out when you try to start it afterwards (remember to leave the intercooler to intake hose disconnected as that will probably be full of water) whether any damage has already been done.
Current fleet:
06 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi, 88 Renault 25 Monaco, 85 Sinclair C5, 84 Trabant 601S, 75 Rover 3500, 73 AC Model 70.
NewcastleFalcon

Zelandeth wrote:
It's not just gone into "eco mode" has it and therefore disabled the electric windows or something silly like that?
Thanks Zel...that is exactly what it has done.....thats the message on the display :-D

Not having a handbook or a Haynes to hand....how do you get it out of "eco-mode" to get the windows up?

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Erm, I think it comes out of Eco Mode when the engine is running, and goes back in depending on how long the engine runs for (a short run means a short period before Eco Mode happens, a long run extends the period, up to 30 minutes, if what I have read on the forum (and my memory) is correct).
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
NewcastleFalcon

Thanks James, its going to be a while before I attempt a start on it, so looks like tonight will have to be a black bin liner night for the windows.....unless anyone knows different. Found this on an internet search
"Economy mode" isn't a fault; the BSI has just disabled inessential circuits to preserve the battery's charge.
The moment that the car starts, then it clears automatically.
Any ways round getting the windows up?

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I wonder what would happen if you had jump leads connected to the battery (from a running car) and then turned on the ignition of the Picasso? Would the battery being charged by an alternator fool the ECU out of Eco Mode?
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

BSI reset?
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Is the ECU wet ?
Did the water go above the breather on the gearbox ?
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
NewcastleFalcon

The car has been standing since Friday morning whithout being started, but the elecetric windows were fine when I returned to it this morning. We had quite a slow tow back the short journey back with ignition on enough to free the steering lock, but with lights/wipers/demist on for the entire journey. only noticed the eco-mode thing as we stopped and the windows wouldn't close.

The splashing up of the water probably soaked everything, water lying in the recesses by the injectors at top of engine, but the water itself was "only" sill height but high enough to submerge the air-intake.

Not doing anything further tonight, but it would be nice to get the windows up!

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey