Xantia eats glo-plugs

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

BigMac

Xantia eats glo-plugs

Post by BigMac »

My 94 Xantia 1.9D is devouring glo-plugs (2 lots of 4 in 3 months, *and* the right Beru ones). I suspect the glo-plug relay but before I start dismantling can someone please point me to the right place in the engine bay?
TIA
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

How about rigging a lightbulb from glowplug + feed to earth and runing it inside the car. You'll be able to see when / if the relay is supplying current to the 'plugs, then decide if you need to delve around with the relay.
Remember the Citroen Owners mantra - Cheapest thing first!
blueboy2001

Post by blueboy2001 »

Classic symptom of a failed plug relay - leaving the plugs permanently switched on. Another common symptom is it takes 3/4 turns of the key to get the glow plug light to come on.
BigMac

Post by BigMac »

Thanks, arry b and blueboy2001. There is definitely feed to the plugs altho I dont know how long it lasts. Suspect blueboy2001 is right and they are on permanently. But *where* is that relay??
davey
My Cars:

Post by davey »

bigmac,
the glo plug controller is a little black box bigger than a relay forward of the battery mounted on the inner wing. every one i've come across so far has had bad corrosion on the ext power connections and internal cct board - shorts in there will cause you probs. they can be dismantled easily you may have to clean inside with alcohol & toothbrush and rework any bad solder joints. failing that new unit!
BigMac

Post by BigMac »

davey, thanks - on my '94 1.9D the relay seems to be a Valeo "prechauffage" unit immediately behind the battery with an additional black connection box beside it attached to an angled bracket. I plan to take them both out tomorrow if it stays dry and clean them up. Then its time to spend more cash buying yet another set of Berus from GSF....
Robin
My Cars:

Post by Robin »

While on this subject of eating glo plugs, I fully follow the line of the failed relay control but in addition it is also possible that a bad injector or injectors that are no longer delivering in the right pattern can direct fuel onto the injector tips and cause glo plug failure this way.
This problem usually only burns out one or two plugs and the same ones of course.
Best wishes, R
BigMac

Post by BigMac »

Robin, thanks for the idea altho Im not sure I follow the logic of what you say. Will check out the injectors later - first, lets see if a relay clean-up and new glo-plugs makes any difference.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I think a bad injector would show up as poor starting, uneven running and smoke emmissions.
Jeremy
BigMac

Post by BigMac »

Jeremy, thats what I thought - but since my car runs smoothly *except at start-up* and produces very little smoke, I'll try to sort out the glo-plug side first. Mind you, the injectors could probably do with a once-over given that they've done 164,000+ miles.