C5 faulty rain sensor

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Howie55

Re: C5 faulty rain sensor

Post by Howie55 »

Mine just does not like rain!!
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

its French

BSI reset or try a new sensor.

Does Lexia read this system ?
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
old'uns
My Cars: '02 C5 - gone
'09 X7 - gone
CMax - X7 replacement - gone
Acadiane - lost to a V5c applicant
'06 C5 VTR auto est
'90 Honda Beat
'73 ST70 Dax
'75 ST Dax - 120 powered

Post by old'uns »

Something on mine to look at one day, maybe.........

Auto lights flicker when set to Auto but wipers appear to be working OK as they should, Diagbox reports working as normal with no faults.
I turned mine off with Diagbox, so fed up with annoying someone with lights flickering like a loony.........GET OUT MY WAY !!!!
the sensor for both is the LED like thing on screen near to mirror...new one last time i asked was well over £100, maybe £130 hence why i turned off in the BSI
currently '06 C5 2.0 HDi auto estate Tip run and France trekker - well should be!! occupied currently by '10 Superb DSG 170 elegance- whistles and bells that work
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Re: lights flickering.
My previous C5 started to do that - intermittently.
Got pulled over by the police one day, coming home from work ill and could barely speak to the officer.
I had been following him and he had pulled in to the side of the road, then followed me and flashed the blues for me to stop.
Asked me what I had wanted and I was mystified until he said I was flashing my lights and thought I had wanted him to stop for something - I hadn't noticed in the bright sunlight.
At least he was very pleasant and followed me home to make sure I got back safely.

Yes, the sensors are, or were £130 for the lights and IIRC £80 for the rain.
Try cleaning the glass on the sensor side of the screen, any haze there can adversely affect them, although I doubt that that is the problem here.
Howie55

Post by Howie55 »

Thanks - think I will just pull the fuse - seems an easy option!
Snaileater
My Cars: Citroen C5 Estate 2008

Post by Snaileater »

Howie55 wrote: 09 Oct 2015, 09:11 Hope someone can help. I have a 59 C5 Exclusive and the wipers will only work on intermittent when it is raining. The strange thing is, when it is dry, they work fine on all positions! I went out yesterday whilst the weather was showery and as soon as the windscreen dried, the wipers worked as they should but once I hit spray from the vehicle in front they went to intermittent only!
Any advice would be appreciated, thanks
Hi Howie55!

Old thread... Did you solve this?

I got the exact same problem. Wipers works fine when it is not raining, the fast mode is fast, slow mode slow and auto works. But when it rains fast and slow mode seems to go into auto, att lowest interval.

A big problem when it is raining and the wipers will only go slow!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Have you had the windscreen replaced recently?

If so, the rain and brightness sensor can become opaque / obscured causing incorrect operation of the wipers.

Failing that, your best bet is a diagnostic, as possibilities range from CAN network fault, Rain / Brightness sensor fault, BSI, Engine Fusebox or Switch Control Module inside the Steering Wheel.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Snaileater

Post by Snaileater »

Howie55 wrote: 09 Oct 2015, 09:11 Hope someone can help. I have a 59 C5 Exclusive and the wipers will only work on intermittent when it is raining. The strange thing is, when it is dry, they work fine on all positions! I went out yesterday whilst the weather was showery and as soon as the windscreen dried, the wipers worked as they should but once I hit spray from the vehicle in front they went to intermittent only!
Any advice would be appreciated, thanks
Old thread but I've still got the exact same problem, after last post the wipers "self healed" for half a year... It seemed like Howie55 had a hard time explaining the problem, many comments about what mode the wipers where in. So I uploaded a video that shows the problem. The wipers are in the fastest mode during the whole video.

Any suggestions what the problem can be? I've reseted the BSI.
Howie55 wrote: 12 Oct 2015, 22:57 Thanks - think I will just pull the fuse - seems an easy option!
Did this work? Which fuse to pull?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

For a start you're doing the test all wrong.

The sensor acts on the water directly over the sensor area. There's no point pouring the water over the middle of the windscreen! :-D

The wipers are initially detecting the splash that made it over the sensor area when you put the first lot of water over it, and are reacting, then as the water from the top of the windscreen starts rolling down later and passes over the sensor area, it causes the wipers to change speed temporarily. Ideally you need a spray bottle and spray at varying times over the sensor area to test how the wipers react on Auto mode. AS it stands that video shows the wipers reacting normally.

Marc
Snaileater

Post by Snaileater »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 03 Aug 2022, 12:40 For a start you're doing the test all wrong.

The sensor acts on the water directly over the sensor area. There's no point pouring the water over the middle of the windscreen! :-D

The wipers are initially detecting the splash that made it over the sensor area when you put the first lot of water over it, and are reacting, then as the water from the top of the windscreen starts rolling down later and passes over the sensor area, it causes the wipers to change speed temporarily. Ideally you need a spray bottle and spray at varying times over the sensor area to test how the wipers react on Auto mode. AS it stands that video shows the wipers reacting normally.
Ok, you might be right but the wipers behave in the exact same manner when it is raining or if I use the windscreen sprayers...

Also! The test was done with wipers at maximum speed, not in auto mode. Seems strange that they stop when I pour water. Max should be max, or? I've had the car for 5 years, wipers have never stopped when it is raining before. Problem started a year ago.

This was a way to show what happens when water gets on the windscreen, because Howie had a hard time explaining and people just started talking about the contorl being in interval mode :-)

The wipers are not working correctly... Because they get into interval mode, as soon as it starts raining, it is impossible to drive faster than about 70-80 km/h because there will be to much water on the windscreen between the wiper strokes and I can't see the road, no matter what position the control is in.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Ok, I see your point.

Have you ran a diagnostic using Diagbox yet? That may provide a fault code so we can determine if it's the sensor , the engine fuse box or the control unit behind the steering wheel or something on the vehicle network. There are so many possibilities on this including the windscreen wiper ECU on top of those mentioned already.

Marc
Snaileater

Post by Snaileater »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 04 Aug 2022, 21:26 Ok, I see your point.

Have you ran a diagnostic using Diagbox yet? That may provide a fault code so we can determine if it's the sensor , the engine fuse box or the control unit behind the steering wheel or something on the vehicle network. There are so many possibilities on this including the windscreen wiper ECU on top of those mentioned already.
Regarding to Digbox it seems to be the main wiper motor that's faulty, guess that is the left one. Changed the righgt one, passenger side, a couple of years ago. I have ordered a wiper motor and hope that will solve the problem. Will get back with result when I get the motor and have installed it.
Snaileater

Post by Snaileater »

Problem solved!

I changed the wiper motor and everything works fine again!

The only things is when I do the same test as before and pouring water on the windscreen the wipers now works perfectly. Either it is possible to do test that way or there are some other problem with the sensor or something. Anyway, everything works the way I think it is supposed to work :)