Picture(s) of the day....

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

dnsey

Re: Picture(s) of the day......

Post by dnsey »

Zelandeth wrote:If you want to take a look at a page which could potentially be quite expensive if you're being tempted back towards getting into photography again...

Here's Lomography's Film Shop Page...

Quite a few interesting things over there...
Those prices are just silly - another 'Saw you coming' shop!
I had a couple of Lubitels some years ago - fun to play with, but worth no more than the six quid or so I paid for them (apart from anything else, they're notorious for having light leaks).

Mind you, I see that proper TLRs have appreciated vastly over the past few years.
xantos
My Cars: Xantia 1.9TD Break non-hydractive (1999)
Xantia 3.0 V6 Activa (1998)
C4 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mk2 (2010)

Post by xantos »

New type of mud flaps. They disintegrate during spring :-D

Xantia Break 1.9TD (jammed b****!)
Xantia Activa 2.0 TCT + LPG (1998) (peeing b****!) RIP
Xantia Activa 2.0 TCT (1998) (burnt b****!)
Xantia Activa 3.0 V6 (1998) (not a b****! yet :-D )
C4 Exclusive 2.0 HDi (gear shifting b****!)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I like it Xantos :D You get proper winters there...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

Re: Picture(s) of the day....!!! Milton Keynes Day !!!

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

On 23rd January 1967, Milton Keynes was officially designated a "New Town".

On 23rd January 2017, FCF "Picture(s) of the Day" will mark the occasion of its 50th Birthday with a Milton Keynes special.

Unfortunately, I cannot personally contribute to the visual feast, as my portfolio of original photography doesnt include a single image Milton Keynes. Yes its a big ommission on my part. I have had many opportunities from the window of the National Express Coach to capture dawn breaking over Milton Keynes after the overnight journey from Newcastle, but somehow the motivation to get the camera out must have by-passed me :!: :-D

So, I have to leave it to others to honour Milton Keynes with their own pictures, and in the vein of the "What do you Know about Norfolk?" thread, contributions to the greater knowledge of everyone by answering the question...

What do you know about Milton Keynes?

...no holds barred....and define and delimit what exactly is Milton Keynes to your heart's content.

Cordialement

Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: What do you know about Milton Keynes?
I have lived in or on the edge of Milton Keynes since I was 16 years old so I've watched it grow since 1975 to where it is now...

So, that’ll be getting on 42 years I've been here now bar for a few years living overseas.

I love the place, always have, always will. It works brilliantly and I love how you can be in the 'city'* centre and yet in the middle of the countryside..

Our two Milton Keynes parkruns take place in the middle of the city but you could be forgiven for thinking it was out in the middle of nowhere. The place is more green and open-space than concrete and has a mass of linear parkland unequalled.

Travel around the place is excellent by car as it was designed around the car. Three cars waiting at a roundabout constitute congestion.

The design of MK makes public transport hard to make work and I'm sure they could still do better. Despite that north-south communication links are excellent with the M1, West Coast Mainline, the A5 and the Grand Union canal passing right through the middle of the place. We enjoy a fast and frequent train service to London but east-west communications are very poor. This is allegedly being addressed but a full dual-carriageway (or motorway preferably) link between the M1 at MK and the A34 at Oxford is badly needed. The old 'Varsity Line' between Oxford and Cambridge badly needs to be reopened. This is slated to be happening in 2024.

It's good for cyclists with hundreds of miles of dedicated cycle routes.

I get very annoyed by the 'knockers' who don't like the place. They clearly don't live here. I will defend the place to the hilt- always.

It has it's issues but then what large urban conurbation doesn't? Truth is, you only appreciate the place when you leave for a while and then return.

Milton Keynes - Happy Birthday and live long and prosper!

I intend to live nowhere else for the foreseeable.

* We locals call it 'the city' even though technically it's a town.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

Excellent piece there Jim, but 15.12 hours into the "Picture(s) of the day-Milton Keynes Day" we await our first picture!

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

I confess I have none worth sharing Neil apart from perhaps this one taken down by Willen Lake and the Peace Pagoda last year..

Just bear in mind this spot is barely a mile from the city centre!

Gives a good impression of just how green and open Milton Keynes is...

Did anyone listen to the piece on the Jeremy Vine show about Milton Keynes today?
Attachments
BikeWillenLake.jpg
Jim

demag
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: "H" Citroen Bx Tgs Automatic.
2006 Toyota Prius T4 Gen 2.

Post by demag »

That is lovely Jim. We have a large recreation area at the end of the road. The monsters scream up and down on high powered scramblers all the time and the non workers take their pit bulls over there to vacate their bowels and see if there are any juicy little dogs to kill.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
Dave
2011 Peugeot 3008 1.6hdi Exclusive EGS.
'04 C5 auto estate 2.2 hdi. Gone.
Bx 1.6 TGS Auto 50k A rare beast by all accounts. A bit tired but getting better by the day. Gone.
'96 XM 2.5TD VSX.......Sadly sold. What an idiot! I should have held on to that.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Dave, that's awful :( I really feel for you having to put up with that kind of nonsense.

I must admit, around the Peace Pagoda it is very peaceful indeed... It's on the banks of one of several lakes known as balancing lakes in Milton Keynes. Willen Lake is a massive water-sports venue and general leisure area; it's the venue for one of the MK parkruns and is near Gulliver's Land, a theme park. It even has a miniature railway running around part of it...

It's the closest MK can get to a seaside!

Another lake, Caldecotte, and yet another balancing lake, is the venue for a water-sport I adore and practice with great relish as shown in the photo below and is also a wildlife sanctuary.... Again, it is barely a stone's-throw from the city centre. An added bonus is that it is just over 5Km in circumference and just the ticket for a a quick warm-up run before taking the kayak out :)

The other lakes in Milton Keynes (we have many) are scenic and devoted to wildlife rather than leisure...

We are so lucky to have all this on our doorstep.
Attachments
kayak1-1609.jpg
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

CitroJim wrote:I confess I have none worth sharing Neil apart from perhaps this one taken down by Willen Lake and the Peace Pagoda last year..

Did anyone listen to the piece on the Jeremy Vine show about Milton Keynes today?
Answer to question 2...it was on...but I find if you want to get away from the tired old stereotypes of the place, its best to consult the FCF!

Now that's more encouraging :-D . Milton Keynes has broken its duck :-D , but I' sure there's more. It would possibly be too much to expect a returning Keynesian to have photographed the sunrise through the windows of a National Express coach to put right my own failing :-D

Well, I am not intimately acquainted with Jim's bedtime routines, although he has openly declared these on other threads, and he has well and truly stepped up to the plate, but shortly for the last 4 hours or so of Milton Keynes Day, the baton will be handed on.

Lets not disappoint Jim when he logs on tomorrow morning and the Milton Keynes Party is over, and aim for a flood of posts about the beloved City that is MK

Once more unto the breach dear friends, once more! God save the Queen!

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Simple Question.......Is the royal Train still stored here, or are the longest continually operating engine works in the World going to be demolished and redeveloped?

http://www.wolvertonworksonline.co.uk/

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Shed...check
Toy with engine....check
fishing.....check
Music loud if you want....check
NO Cats....check
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Hang on, I can see a puma hiding under one of those trees!
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

NewcastleFalcon wrote:Simple Question.......Is the royal Train still stored here, or are the longest continually operating engine works in the World going to be demolished and redeveloped?
I have no idea Neil. I do know that were it used to be stabled has been turned into rather swish flats...

To be honest, there's not much of the 'works' left now and with this headlong need to build houses on every inch of land I'd not be surprised if it disappears completely soon.

It'll be no great loss as much of the old works is in a terrible state of disrepair and neglect.

Many of the old buildings, like the royal trainshed, have been renovated and converted into flats so maybe they'll do as much as possible of that rather than just demolishing wholesale.

Even the Tesco, built many years ago n the suite, is in the correct style to blend in. It looks quite lovely, or as lovely as a supermarket can!
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

CitroJim wrote:Even the Tesco, built many years ago n the suite, is in the correct style to blend in. It looks quite lovely, or as lovely as a supermarket can!
https://www.ephotozine.com/images/bbcod ... 010294.jpg

Another supermarket from Wolverhampton......source geograph Bill Boaden available under this Creative Commons Licence

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey