Picture(s) of the day....

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Re: Picture(s) of the day....Waste not!

Post by Gibbo2286 »

This happens every year, nobody is prepared to gather them up.
Attachments
IMGP2226 (2).JPG
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: Picture(s) of the day....

Post by Peter.N. »

Shame. We have a huge Bramley tree, we use what we can but probably 90% goes to waste - or the badgers, foxes, deer, rabbits etc. We have pureed apple (nice with pork) by the bottle and a lots of sliced apple in the freezer. No other real way of keeping them. My grandmother used to put them in the air raid shelter, nice even temperature, I can still smell them now.

Peter
NewcastleFalcon

Re: Picture(s) of the day....Waste not!

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Gibbo2286 wrote: 29 Nov 2020, 15:09 This happens every year, nobody is prepared to gather them up.
Just along from the signalbox a little way past Kirknewton are a few "wild" apple trees in the woodland at the side of the road. When we passed by last month on the way to Kelso, I noticed them and couldnt resist got a decent bagfull or two, small but perfectly sweet eating apples.

Deliberately paid it a visit on Friday because they had run out, got another bagful of the ones that were left on the tree.
apples for free!
apples for free!
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Gibbo2286 wrote: 29 Nov 2020, 15:09 This happens every year, nobody is prepared to gather them up.
Shame I don't live near your and Peter Eric as I'd very happily gather them up and turn them into pies :)

Earlier in the year I was a repository for surplus rhubarb... It's now all in my freezer ;)

Waste not, want not!

From today's bike ride...
Welcome to...
Welcome to...
There is a belief the rather elaborate village sign was built from bricks rescued from a nearby disused railway bridge when it was demolished...

The Northampton to Bedford line ran through the village until the mid '60s and now there is hardly any trace... You have to know it was there and know what to look for... Obliterated...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

CitroJim wrote: 29 Nov 2020, 17:12 The Northampton to Bedford line ran through the village until the mid '60s and now there is hardly any trace... You have to know it was there and know what to look for... Obliterated...

Here you are Jim 12 minutes of youtube to watch! and a bit of Frederic Chopin on piano as a gentle accompaniement.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

You are welcome to help yourself Jim but you will need about a 20' ladder to get to the best ones. :shock:

Peter
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 29 Nov 2020, 17:34
CitroJim wrote: 29 Nov 2020, 17:12 The Northampton to Bedford line ran through the village until the mid '60s and now there is hardly any trace... You have to know it was there and know what to look for... Obliterated...

Here you are Jim 12 minutes of youtube to watch! and a bit of Frederic Chopin on piano as a gentle accompaniement.

Good find Neil, thanks :D I'll enjoy that!

Peter.N. wrote: 29 Nov 2020, 19:47 You are welcome to help yourself Jim but you will need about a 20' ladder to get to the best ones. :shock:
That's never going to work Peter, I'm terrified of heights :roll:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

There was a railway line going along the road into Weymouth harbour when we first came here, I was driving out one day and saw a loco in my rear view mirror, following me. :shock:

Peter
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Peter.N. wrote: 30 Nov 2020, 10:39 There was a railway line going along the road into Weymouth harbour when we first came here, I was driving out one day and saw a loco in my rear view mirror, following me. :shock:
Sadly, it's been disused for the past 20-odd years apart from a few specials and is now in the process of being ripped up :evil: :cry:

It's widely being considered an act of gross vandalism by the town council... Some believe it could have become a big tourist attraction but against that there's massive H and S concerns about operating trains on an open tramway in close proximity to cars and pedestrians...

It was always a bit of a task to clear the tracks of parked cars when the line was operational with boat trains and the train was limited to proceeding at walking place with a guard in front of it with a flag...

The locomotives used for the service could be immediately identified by the big warning bells fitted on their buffer beams :)
Jim

Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Thanks for that Jim. This would have been in the '70s and yes there was a man preceding it with a flag. I had no idea it was there until I saw it. There used to be a railway line crossing the road on the east side of bridport too, thats gone now of course as well.

Axminster station had a huge marshalling yard back then as well, they started building a few industrial units on it and you had to walk across the tracks to get to them, tracks all gone now of course including the one that went to Lyme Regis.

Peter
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 29 Nov 2020, 17:34 Here you are Jim 12 minutes of youtube to watch! and a bit of Frederic Chopin on piano as a gentle accompaniement.

Regards Neil
A lovingly made video, Neil. Thanks for posting.
Reminders of the fate of the Christs' Hospital to Guildford line.
Chris
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

It looks worse than it is...

No medical attention was needed :)
tomatoattack.jpg
I was 'attacked' by an exploding tube of tomato puree whilst cooking a curry :lol:

And yes, still in my running kit at 10AM... I'm cycling later so no point in changing three times...

Besides, my running kit is so, so comfy :)
Jim

mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

The last 100 posts really have flown by and it's time for a 4500 celebratory picture already. As the numbers climb it is getting harder to find engines to match but 4½ litres is a number ingrained into me from childhood. When I searched for a picture I was inundated with TVR's, Porsches and Toyota Land Cruisers but for me there can only be one car, brought into my life by John Steed: :-D
BFTW
BFTW
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

I saw Skeletor during my bike ride today :D
In Cranfield...
In Cranfield...
Waiting for a bus...

Thing are clearly getting a bit tight in superhero world even for a supervillain... Must be due to Covid :roll:
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

a small token of deliberate or accidental imperfection should be present in all images.
a small token of deliberate or accidental imperfection should be present in all images.
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey