Picture(s) of the day....

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Re: Picture(s) of the day...Poland Special

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

bobins wrote:Jumping back a bit here, but there's a half decent 30 minute documentary about the Severn Bridge on iPlayer at the moment - available for another three weeks from today.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... h-wire-act
It even features the old car ferries :)
Thanks for posting the link, enjoyed that. Pre-computer design and calculations with a slide rule!

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Re: Picture(s) of the day......

Car Window Stickers coming to a conclusion on the FCF, so here's another nostalgic blast.

http://www.rzclassifieds.com/_content/i ... 00_375.jpg

and yes, must have been in 1969 ish when staying at Ilfracombe we had a trip to see the lions, and get the sticker!

regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 17 Aug 2020, 20:38, edited 2 times in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I remember that one well Neil and I can recall my first visit there... Could well have been 1969...

It was relatively local to where I was born and brought up so an easy day trip for the Mini Traveller dad then had...

Loved that car. It was a MK1 Wooden Traveller in Island Blue. I can even remember the plate... JOM414E Dad swapped it in for a brand new Morris Marina in 1973.... A very serious error of judgement :twisted:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

I note the Severn Bridge documentary doesn't mention the collapse of the maintenance gantry dropping three workers into the river 100 feet below, two died and one survived I think. Somebody had forgotten to close a safety bolt and it let the gantry run off the end of its tracks.

When the bridge opened there were tolls in both directions but as it got busier they found that they couldn't move the eastbound traffic through the tolls quick enough resulting in several hundred thousand tonnes of vehicles sitting on the bridge queueing to pay, so they closed the eastbound toll booths and doubled the charge westbound, so it costs you more to get into Wales than to get out..................A good thing maybe. :-D
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
NewcastleFalcon

CitroJim wrote: It was relatively local to where I was born and brought up so an easy day trip for the Mini Traveller dad then had...
Loved that car. It was a MK1 Wooden Traveller in Island Blue. I can even remember the plate... JOM414E Dad swapped it in for a brand new Morris Marina in 1973.... A very serious error of judgement :twisted:
well Jim JOM414E stuffed into autotrader vehicle check comes up with Morris Mini, Estate, blue, first reg April 1967.
and the DVLA Vehicle Check ....Untaxed...Tax Due 1st September 1984, MOT no details held.

Probably tells us its not still being used on the roads of Great Britain, although now it would be tax exempt. It would have been quite a result if the DVLA record showed it was still being actively used, but on the freely available info it would seem that sometime in 1984 it went "off-road".

Maybe more info is available from the DVLA like last registered keeper etc, as it appears still to be a live record on their database. Probably more chance of finding out what happened to your little blue mini then gibbo's Rolls! :-D

Regards Neil

Now this is a Countryman from 67....did Countryman's not have the wood?

http://thumbs1.picclick.com/d/w1600/pic ... 1-Blue.jpg
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 10 Jan 2017, 18:02, edited 2 times in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

...and this one here was sold on carandclassic.co.uk not island blue but its predecessor "Surf Blue".

and coincidentally sold from Somerset

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/uploads/ ... 127007.jpg

Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 10 Jan 2017, 18:03, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

NewcastleFalcon wrote:...and this one here was sold on carandclassic.co.uk not island blue but its predecessor "Surf Blue".

and coincidentally sold from Somerset

Regards Neil
That one but in Island Blue as the 'all-steel' Countryman as they were known was dad's exactly :D

The Mini Traveller was the wooden one, just like the Morris Minor Traveller.. Difference was that the Mini wood was non-structural whereas on the Morris Minor Traveller it was...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Me, on Friday, in another form of transportation I rather enjoy ;)

I really do love it :-D

This coming Friday I'm doing a kayak triathlon to raise a bit of money for our local hospice. A 1.5 mile paddle around a course set out on the lake, a 3 mile run around the lake and then a swim across the lake!

I originally posted this in my blog and now posting it here on Neil’s orders :)
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

Thanks Jim its a lovely pic of you obviously enjoying yourself! Never been a serious rower/canoer/sailor but its great fun to get out on the water like on the rowing boats at Durham, or on Dewentwater at Keswick, on days out/holidays.

There can be few more picturesque places than Derwentwater to do a bit of messing about in boats, the scenery is superb, you get a few parascenders swirling around after having launched themselves off Latrigg, and there are loads of little islands to explore and picnic on in "Swallows and Amazons" fashion. Only one slight downside, Derwentwater's resident ducks have an amazing ability to produce guano! and the idyllic islands are literally covered in the stuff :-D .
CitroJim wrote:posting it here on Neil’s orders :)
Now I like that....I always wanted to cultivate a reputation for being masterful :!: :!: :!: :-D

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: Now I like that....I always wanted to cultivate a reputation for being masterful :!: :!: :!: :-D

Regards Neil
You will need to get one of these
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

^^ :rofl2:
Jim

Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

I've just been on the Birmingham History site (I'm a Brummie :) ) this link was posted on there by someone called oldoldold, a Brummie kid. A lot to interest in the link.

ImageLincoln Street Motors Digbeth by geoff7918, on Flickr
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Gibbo2286 wrote:A lot to interest in the link.

Isn't there just :D Really enjoying it, especially the railway stuff! Thanks for posting it Gibbo. Excellence!
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

Here's a bit of a random link to a picture of the day

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... ited-2.jpg

Over on the Classic Car spotting thread, some marginal offtopicisation to steam locomotives, via a Rover P5 pic from Somerset, led to this weeks appearance of the Flying Scotsman and Tornado on the Severn Valley Railway and hence to Keith Wilkinson's gallery of over 1000 absolutely superb photo's of the Severn Valley Railway.

One of the bunch shows the Battle of Britain Class Steam Locomotive "Sir Keith Park" crossing the Victoria Bridge over the River Severn, with in "homage" to Citrojim's enjoyment of a bit of canoeing, has some kayaks adding a nice touch to the image.

Yes I can see the attraction of messing about in boats, and taking a few snaps of steam engines trundling across the bridge :-D

...and Keith Park.....always worth consulting Wiki for a bit of info....a New Zealander who played a key role in the Battle of Britain as Air Vice Marshall in command of No. 11 Group RAF, responsible for the fighter defence of London and southeast England.

Keith Wilkinson's image of the "Sir Keith Park" and the rest of his SVR gallery can be found here.

Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 10 Jan 2017, 18:05, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

An utter banquet Neil :D Thanks for posting it. Got hours of pleasure to come soon from looking through those!
Jim