Xantia Instrument Panel bulbs

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Xantia Instrument Panel bulbs

Post by CitroJim »

Incredibly interesting Zel :D
Zelandeth wrote: Speaking of the colour as well, the vast majority of "white" LEDs are created with a very high colour temperature (meaning they are very blue), and have rubbish colour rendering ability - generally being very deficient in red.
I've noticed that with my LED bike headlights; incredibly bright but mainly blue...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
chinkostu
My Cars: N Xantia 1.9TD SX
03 Fiesta 1.4 Zetec

Post by chinkostu »

I got a pair of bright LED's and retrofitted them to the heater control lights. The problem being that it's almost too bright right where the lights are, the extreme ends are dim and, suprise suprise, they're a bit blue, so the red parts of the heater controls actually stay dark (science!)
Stu

Cars
1995 Xantia 1.9TD SX in (faded) Red
2003 Fiesta 1.4 Zetec in GREEEEEEEN
2001 206 1.9 LX
2001 Saxo VTR
1999 Saxo 1.1 East coast
1999 Punto :oops:
1996 306 1.8 XN Auto :?
1996 Fiesta 1.3 #-o
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
My Cars: Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club (quietly sleeping in a parallel universe)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate
others:-
'96 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the "donor"
'99 Jeep Cherokee Orvis - the green one
'97 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the red one
'99 Cadillac Seville STS
'96 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
& numerous what might be described as abandoned projects!

Post by van ordinaire »

As I originally suggested - & Zelandeth - confirmed they do need to be carefully chosen.

As for discarding the dimmer switch - I did that on my 1st car (as a schoolboy, who immediately realised it was completely useless) becausethe last thing you need are instruments you can't see: ones you can't read are bad enough!

A 2w bulb is a joke (except, surprisingly, in XJ40 sidemarkers) so, if you can't use 5w's, it has to be LED's.

Last time I upgraded dash lights - well, one! (2CV) LED's weren't readily available (& may still not be in that fitting) but that's what the C15'll get - once I've worked out how to get to them. Anything to get rid of that dreadful candlelight yellow illumination - besides one of (I suspect) only 2 had failed when I got it.
Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club :cry:
'05 C15 :!:
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate [-o<
others:-
Jeep XJ Cherokees x 3 :?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
'99 Cadillac STS :|
& the numerous "abandoned projects" #-o