Xantia Instrument Panel bulbs

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Re: Xantia Instrument Panel bulbs

Post by Stickyfinger »

a strip of wet&dry pinched between the fingers does the gripping for me
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
RussellF97
My Cars: 2012 Peugeot 207SW 1.6 Hdi
1995 Citroen ZX Elation 1.9D. Gone but not forgotten

Post by RussellF97 »

Apologies for hijacking a Xantia question, but at a guess (always a dangerous thing!) the 286s are also used in the ZX? I've had a look at the (none too clear) photo of the back of the panel in the Haynes book and there seems to be up to 20 bulbs, so if I get about 40, hopefully I should be OK!
Phil

Indecision is the key to flexibility...
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I would have thought so Phil, the 286 is a pretty much universal fit in 90s PSA vehicles... I know the 205 uses them for instance...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

RussellF97 wrote:...there seems to be up to 20 bulbs, so if I get about 40, hopefully I should be OK!
By my count, there are 34 bulb positions (not all used) in the Xantia instrument panel PCB. Having a few new ones in stock, I bought 30 branded ones from an e-Bay seller. I've yet to even test them, let alone fit them.
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Old-Guy wrote: I bought 30 branded ones from an e-Bay seller. I've yet to even test them, let alone fit them.
Test them before you fit them as I've always found one or two per batch to be duff... I have a small 12v battery and a set of croc leads for this purpose...

It's ever so annoying to fit them and then find they don't work :twisted:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
RussellF97

Post by RussellF97 »

Thanks for that chaps, but perhaps I ought to get more than 40 - just in case!
Phil

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

RussellF97 wrote:Thanks for that chaps, but perhaps I ought to get more than 40 - just in case!
They're cheap enough to do just that...
Jim

van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
My Cars: Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club (quietly sleeping in a parallel universe)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate
others:-
'96 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the "donor"
'99 Jeep Cherokee Orvis - the green one
'97 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the red one
'99 Cadillac Seville STS
'96 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
& numerous what might be described as abandoned projects!

Post by van ordinaire »

Has to be LED's every time, if you can't use 4 (or even 5w) bulbs, because of the heat, but they have to be chosen carefully.

They may not dim but then a panel light dimmer must be just about the most useless device ever fitted to car.

Of course if you have one of those clever "modern" cars that dim the display when, e.g. turning the lights on (&, for all I know, Xantias might fall into that category), you're stymied - although the chances are they are at least visible, if not legible at night, so the issue won't arise.
Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club :cry:
'05 C15 :!:
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate [-o<
others:-
Jeep XJ Cherokees x 3 :?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
'99 Cadillac STS :|
& the numerous "abandoned projects" #-o
RussellF97

Post by RussellF97 »

Well I had to bite the bullet at some point so I went to that well-known auction site and bought 30 of these:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131312735940? ... EBIDX%3AIT
and it's free delivery to France! Can't say better than that.

Yes, I realise they are Lucas (aka The Prince of Darkness) but I enjoy living dangerously... 8-)
Phil

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

RussellF97 wrote:Yes, I realise they are Lucas (aka The Prince of Darkness) but I enjoy living dangerously... 8-)
:lol:

Long time since I've heard Lucas described as that!!!
Jim

RussellF97

Post by RussellF97 »

It's become something of a running joke between my son and I... Along the lines of the Lucas three-position switch: Dim, Flicker, Off...
Phil

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

RussellF97 wrote:It's become something of a running joke between my son and I... Along the lines of the Lucas three-position switch: Dim, Flicker, Off...
I like that a lot :-D
Jim

Zelandeth
Donor 2024
My Cars: 2006 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi.
1988 Renault 25 Monaco 2.0i.
1985 Sinclair C5.
1984 Trabant 601S.
1975 Rover 3500.
1973 AC Model-70.

Post by Zelandeth »

Just for the record, if memory serves the Mk I 306 also uses the 286 bulbs. My one had a grand total of the fuel gauge (which didn't work) lit when I got it! Still have quite a few rattling around here I think.

Still waiting for this task to get to the top of the to do list for me too.

Seriously considering bridging out the dimmer on my Xantia and just setting it to about 80% with a fixed resistor as I invariably keep turning it down with my knee getting in/out of the car.
Current fleet:
06 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi, 88 Renault 25 Monaco, 85 Sinclair C5, 84 Trabant 601S, 75 Rover 3500, 73 AC Model 70.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Zelandeth wrote: Seriously considering bridging out the dimmer on my Xantia and just setting it to about 80% with a fixed resistor as I invariably keep turning it down with my knee getting in/out of the car.
I keep doing the same Zel, it is annoying :twisted:

Certainly reducing the panel brightness does extend the bulb life a bit and given the pain of replacing the bulbs, that's no bad thing...

IIRC, some other threads on here dealing with this subject have reported LEDs have not been a stunning success...
Jim

Zelandeth
Donor 2024
My Cars: 2006 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi.
1988 Renault 25 Monaco 2.0i.
1985 Sinclair C5.
1984 Trabant 601S.
1975 Rover 3500.
1973 AC Model-70.

Post by Zelandeth »

No reason LEDs couldn't be used...they're not all created equal though and I would want to test on the bench first.

Best illumination retrofit I've ever done was using an EL panel for the backlit parts and a couple of very precisely placed and chosen LEDs for the pointers. The result looked brilliant, but it was a heck of a lot of work and to be honest would have cost a packet if I hadn't had the EL panels and drivers in the parts box.

I'd be happy to do some LED experiments (lighting is right up my street after all), just need to find a duff/spare panel to experiment on. Could look to write up a list of what sorts of LEDs do and don't work well.

Bit tricky in the Xantia as you are basically tied into using white as green ones won't light the pointers...would need to pull the panel apart though to see whether there's a way around that (as I did with the panel in my Proton) using a couple of standalone 5mm LEDs. From memory, the Xantia panel uses quite a lot of light pipes which is why LEDs probably don't often work well.

Speaking of the colour as well, the vast majority of "white" LEDs are created with a very high colour temperature (meaning they are very blue), and have rubbish colour rendering ability - generally being very deficient in red. Result there being a dash where the numbers look almost cyan and the needles are barely lit. You really need a high quality warm white LED - but they are expensive.

Given how long the original lamps lasted, I'd just change them out as a set now and be happy that you won't need to do it again for another five-ten years. Probably more if you only run them at 80% or so brightness, which I think is reasonable given the Xantia panel is pretty well lit really when all lamps are working.
Current fleet:
06 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi, 88 Renault 25 Monaco, 85 Sinclair C5, 84 Trabant 601S, 75 Rover 3500, 73 AC Model 70.