Xantia front brake hose

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

citroDane
My Cars:

Re: Xantia front brake hose

Post by citroDane »

Old-Guy wrote:
chinkostu wrote:Yea, the 206 hose had a sort of multipoint shape that's supposed to hold it in the bracket, but the rust had got it so it was basically round.
No wonder the hose needed replacing!

While you're waiting for your gland-nut spanner set (essential on a Xantia) to arrive, why not make yourself a brake-hose clamp like that shown in the Wiki. Then when you come to do the job, you can clamp off the old hose somewhere around the middle, cut off close to the calliper and then you can get a deep hex (not bi-hex) socket on the pipe stub.
Thanks for your continued support. I was away a couple of days this week, but what a great idea! I've made myself one now. As for the old hose, actually as mentioned before I've had the calipers off, so I had already undone the hose at the caliper end (on the driver side which is where the hose had not been touched/replaced before) and to my surprise it was easy as can be. :) Kind of like the whole thing was new. This is why I'm hoping undoing the flare nut would not be extremely hard either. I'm still waiting for my flare nut spanners though! :(
99 Xantia, 2.0 HDI
TKM 215
citroDane
My Cars:

Post by citroDane »

Hello,

Back for my update; got the flare nut spanners, soaked the hell out of the nut (was continually doing so while waiting for the spanners) and gave it a whirl. But no such luck. I haven't messed up the nut totally, but I've worn the edges down to the point, I would mess it up if I carry on!

So I'm thinking I should grind off the flared tip and "start over" with the hose, which for an amateur like me begs these questions:

1) where does this section of the rigid pipe end and what would I need to dismantle in the engine room to get to it / get the whole section out? Now, I'm assuming I can't flare the pipe while it’s sitting in there, as it looks like there’s very little room for that kind of operation.
2) Also, the above prerequisites obviously that the pipe has enough length to work with after cutting the old flared tip. I kinda assumed so, since it has a bend some 10-15 cm into the engine room, which I thought I could straighten out . Is that a correct assumption or will I need to buy a new pipe or have one made?
3) What kind of flare does this pipe have? Single, double or bubble?
4) Cutting the flared tip does present the risk of getting small metal pieces into the pipe. Any idea how to deal with that?

Thanks,
Gabriel
99 Xantia, 2.0 HDI
TKM 215
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I've had this problem several times and got the unions undone with a decent pair of Bahco Locking Pliers

Like these here on Amazon

Not cheap but an excellent tool for more than just this job.. I'd not be without mine...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citroDane
My Cars:

Post by citroDane »

CitroJim wrote:I've had this problem several times and got the unions undone with a decent pair of Bahco Locking Pliers

Not cheap but an excellent tool for more than just this job.. I'd not be without mine...
Hi Jim,

Ok, so I guess if I'm gonna cut the tip off in the end, it definitely is worth trying your the approach with the pliers. Though this being Croatia. chances are I can't find these Bahco ones here and if I wanna avoid waiting for Amazon to ship them to me, I'm thiking maybe I could give it a trry with quality mole grips. What do you think? Also after undoing the nut, if it is damaged around the edges, what are the chances of screwing it back in, so it'd be snug and without leaks?

Thanks,
Gabe
99 Xantia, 2.0 HDI
TKM 215
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Gabe, Molegrips may work if they are small enough to get in there... They do need to grip the union nut very firmly with no danger of slippage and this dictates they must be high quality ones..

Same goes with the Bahco pliers. Others may do but they must be high quality... Cheap versions in my experience just don't have the rigididy or engineering to do the job and tend to slip.

Definitely worth trying this before cutting the pipes...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citroDane
My Cars:

Post by citroDane »

CitroJim wrote:Hi Gabe, Molegrips may work if they are small enough to get in there... They do need to grip the union nut very firmly with no danger of slippage and this dictates they must be high quality ones..

Same goes with the Bahco pliers. Others may do but they must be high quality... Cheap versions in my experience just don't have the rigididy or engineering to do the job and tend to slip.

Definitely worth trying this before cutting the pipes...
Thanks Jim. Well, I'm sold! :-) I'll try to find the ones from Bahco here. Did you use that exact model / size from the Amazon that you sent the link on (just trying to make sure I won't end up buying "oversized" ones that would not get in there, as you advised)?

/Gabe
99 Xantia, 2.0 HDI
TKM 215
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

citroDane wrote:Did you use that exact model / size from the Amazon that you sent the link on (just trying to make sure I won't end up buying "oversized" ones that would not get in there, as you advised)?
Yes, exactly those, the Bahco 8224. They are the perfect size...

They can be used to do up the union nut onto the new hose too...
Jim

citroDane
My Cars:

Post by citroDane »

CitroJim wrote:
citroDane wrote:Did you use that exact model / size from the Amazon that you sent the link on (just trying to make sure I won't end up buying "oversized" ones that would not get in there, as you advised)?
Yes, exactly those, the Bahco 8224. They are the perfect size...

They can be used to do up the union nut onto the new hose too...

Thanks a bunch Jim. Might take a while to acquire, but I'll try and report back! :-)
99 Xantia, 2.0 HDI
TKM 215
superloopy
My Cars:

Post by superloopy »

If it's that stuck just chop it off and get on with the job ... that's what i had to do. It's like the droplinks. Why waste time, it's not worth it. You need to put your efforts into ensuring that the next time you do the job it's protected and eases off without the problems you are having now.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk
Mike

Xantia Activa Dante Red MK1 (96) 121k - SORN, to be broken
Xantia Activa Silex Grey MK2 (98) 120k -SORN, ditto
Xantia V6 Silex Grey MK2 (98) 95k - non-runner
Xantia TD Storm Grey MK1 (95) 95k - non-runner
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

Well I think the more straightforward way is using the pliers as suggested by CitroJim (I've always known them as pump pliers). Bit like adjustables, every toolbox should have one, for just such occassions as this.

I'd regard cutting the pipe as creating another problem, in having to maybe fit a new piece of pipe, plus creating the necessary flares. Of course, if the existing pipe proves to be very corroded near the union nut, it may twist, and citroDane may then find he's no option but to cut through the pipe. Fingers X this won't happen.
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
superloopy
My Cars:

Post by superloopy »

Well ... from the sound of it he's getting nowhere fast. Just offerring up my experience of a seized brake pipe union. While i 'd be 'over the moon' if he manages to release the union if i had the same problem again i'd not hesitate with a plan B so to speak.

Mike

elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

CitroJim wrote:I've had this problem several times and got the unions undone with a decent pair of Bahco Locking Pliers

I bought these on Jims advice and they're amazing. They've become one of my favourite work tools.
superloopy
My Cars:

Post by superloopy »

Yes, they're a useful addition to a toolbox. Wouldnt budge my brake pipe union though. I did try. Ended up cutting it off and feeding a new piece of kunifer pipe alongwith the new flexi. Not too bad a job.

Mike