Made me laugh ...

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Re: Made me laugh ...

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

Just try putting your Reg in to "we buy any car.com" I did the 2cv after it was restored and valued at £3,000
they offered 50 quid I felt like punching someone to be perfectly honest...
I always value the Xantia at 1,000 minimum for insurance quotes. it may keep the price higher
but the haggling can begin if and when necessary. my Xantia 1.9td came in at £201 fully comp with more than insurance this year.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

Webuyanycar values my Xantias at £75 each.
£201 fully comp sounds fair. I want to pay low to mid £200s but am stuck in high £300s right now.
I have until October to sort it out though so not panicking yet.
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

Ha, car buyer valued my XM at 0, nothing, not a penny, its just their way of keeping away from a market they don't want to operate in iguess.

Now it's knocking on a bit the XM is just over or just under £100 for the year, can't remember now but sure its £98, it is limited to 4k a year so not technically a proper policy, valued at 3k and fully comp.

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
chinkostu
My Cars: N Xantia 1.9TD SX
03 Fiesta 1.4 Zetec

Post by chinkostu »

WBAC and suchlike never buy older cars. They operate like trade-ins, paying low money to impatient/gullible fools, then wash and hoover and flip for more money. Wouldn't be suprised if the cars suddenly gained extra history along the way.

I valued the Xantia at exactly what I bought it for. Once everythings ticketyboo I might put it up a bit. Also have a massive mileage on the policy (used to do mega miles) incase I need to travel further. Mines about £900 tpft but through Swintons (my credit is crap and they're the only place that would let me pay monthly) and that was with 3 points, 7 years driving 5 NCB
Stu

Cars
1995 Xantia 1.9TD SX in (faded) Red
2003 Fiesta 1.4 Zetec in GREEEEEEEN
2001 206 1.9 LX
2001 Saxo VTR
1999 Saxo 1.1 East coast
1999 Punto :oops:
1996 306 1.8 XN Auto :?
1996 Fiesta 1.3 #-o
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

James, that's crazy!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
rory_perrett
My Cars: Xantia Exclusive 110Hdi Estate 1999

Post by rory_perrett »

That sound's a bit steep although for some reason I have noticed in the past when I was on an Admiral Multicar Policy, Admiral don't seem to like Xantias, they have always been on the high side.

But as you have proved TP or TPF&T aren't really that much lower than fully comp. Not like it was in my youth when TP was about 50% of the cost of fully comp. My theory is that 40 years ago when car A ran into car B the claim was for fixing the cars and the cost would be about the same for both therefore if the driver you insured only had TP cover and was at fault you were only paying for one lot of repairs rather than two therefore premium could be about half.

These days when car A runs into car B and car A's driver is at fault their insurance company has to pay out for the repairs to car B, the hire car for the driver B supplied by a claims management company at several times the normal daily hire charge, the personal injury claim for the driver of car B, the personal injury claims from the other 4 people who suddenly appear to have been passengers in car B, lost of earnings for 5 people, counselling for the 5 people in the car so they can get over the trauma of being involved in the accident, the fee for the claims company, solicitors' fees, etc, etc, etc.

Hence a £500 bumper replacement suddenly becomes a £5,000 + claim, whether the insurance co are paying for one or two £500 bumpers becomes relatively insignificant.

The one that surprised me was when Daughter Number One added Class 1 Business Use her premium went down rather than up, maybe people who need a car for work are more careful?
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

You used to be able to get RTA (Road traffic act) cover which was the absolute minimum required by law, at less than any of the other third party policies.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
rory_perrett
My Cars: Xantia Exclusive 110Hdi Estate 1999

Post by rory_perrett »

Gibbo2286 wrote:You used to be able to get RTA (Road traffic act) cover which was the absolute minimum required by law, at less than any of the other third party policies.
I remember that - I'm not sure that if you are using the "driving any other car not owned by you etc" part of your policy, if you are lucky enough to still have it, then you are only getting RTA cover to keep you legal.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Isn't there some countries where the basic RTA was/is included as part of the road tax (their equivilent of VED) payment on the car?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Australia Jim but they still get the uninsured lot, they just drive without the reg and the penalties are much lighter than here.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

It's a bit like that here in terms of mandatory insurance for third party injuries. The policy is expensive "because they can".

Driving unregistered/uninsured (the two are inter-dependent) is about one third of your licence and around $1K in fines.
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

addo, my brother (now sadly passed) moved to Brisbane in 1970 and I've been there a few times, up and down your area, got a bit peed off one day when we walked from one restaurant to another and found it closed because we'd crossed the Qld/Nsw border. :)
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

CitroJim wrote:Isn't there some countries where the basic RTA was/is included as part of the road tax (their equivilent of VED) payment on the car?
New Zealand, no need to insure your car there, if you get injured the gov fund ACC (Accident Compensation Corporation) pays out for the personal injury side of things so a newly qualified driver can buy one of the many Jap import Imprezas, an Aussie Ford Falcon or Holden Commadore then hoon around the country legally. When I was there earlier this year I came across quite a number of swirling 11's on the road in the countryside where "fun" had been had by all :twisted:
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
CGATCX25GTITURBO
Location: IN FRONT OF THE LAP TOP Residing in Hull, East Yorks
My Cars:

Post by CGATCX25GTITURBO »

My CX was worth 70 quid

recently located and fitted a cassis leather interior too.

Neil aka CGAT
1986 CX25 GTI TURBO 1 SERIES 2 'CGAT'
1998 XANTIA 19TD ESTATE
1987 BX19 GTI 8V
2012 Citroen DS3
1997 600 Bandit
2000 ZX12R from new
1989 CX GTI Turbo 62k miles in a barn since 2001, project started 2023.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Love those seats Neil :)
Jim