Failed "MOT" - rear brakes

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Ben82
My Cars: C5 V6 2004

Re: Failed "MOT" - rear brakes

Post by Ben82 »

So an update on this. We walked round to the garage (about 350 metres away), and spoke to the guy there. He did say he was quite busy so wouldn't be able to look at it today, and said if the car was there then he could possibly fit in looking at it amongst other things. I said as long as he could get it sorted this week that should be fine.
So in the end we got the old pads back in and the tyre on and gingerly drove it round there (Dad's idea, I was rather reluctant! :shock: ) . It made it there fine though (thankfully). I took the discs and pads and all the new bolts etc around there, as once he gets it off he might as well put it back together again.
2004 Citroen C5 3L V6 Auto
Brit living in Sweden with an imported from Germany French Car!
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Fingers crossed. [-o<
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Ben82

Post by Ben82 »

One thing that I think might be a concern which I forgot to mention in all the hullabaloo is this:

The pad retaining screw doesn't seem to have much of the caliper to "hold on to" on the surface nearest the bolts (it does on the other end), is this normal, or is this something that would mean this caliper will need replacing?
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Needs a new caliper.... I strongly suspect you are going to need new pipes as well - I can't see them getting that union out easily (at all....)
Richard W
Ben82

Post by Ben82 »

Hindsight, should have taken the rusty plate off before posting the pics earlier in the thread :( Oh well at least we know if someone else comes asking.

I've found some calipers at our equivalent of halfords, for ~£60 a pop, so hopefully can get someone to pick those up for me today.

I guess at least with a new caliper he can take the brake line back to the nearest join and replace just that bit of pipe too.
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

Wow that's new on me.
If your feeling a bit fed up over this Ben it was a decent attempt and you didn't really stand a chance.
You did well to back out before fluid was going everywhere.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

The pipe is rather long, non standard flare, and awkward to replace unfortunately :roll: In the UK it is easier to fit a copper nickel replacement, but not sure if this is allowed in Sweden (it's not in Germany AFAIK).
Richard W
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

elma wrote:Wow that's new on me.
If your feeling a bit fed up over this Ben it was a decent attempt and you didn't really stand a chance.
You did well to back out before fluid was going everywhere.
This +1
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
Ben82

Post by Ben82 »

Thanks guys :) Not sure if fed up is what I'm feeling to be honest.. defeated maybe. But at least we realised when to stop and ask "is this right?" before it went too far, and then leave it to a pro.

Mother-in-law has just arrived with these:
:)

So will be taking those down to the mechanic shortly. They look very similar at least ( without the corrosion of course :) ), and come with all the doodars.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Nice mother-in-law!
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
superloopy
My Cars:

Post by superloopy »

£60 each seems v.reasonable for those ...
Mike

Xantia Activa Dante Red MK1 (96) 121k - SORN, to be broken
Xantia Activa Silex Grey MK2 (98) 120k -SORN, ditto
Xantia V6 Silex Grey MK2 (98) 95k - non-runner
Xantia TD Storm Grey MK1 (95) 95k - non-runner
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

Rear calipers rotting on C5s is not unknown - Citroen appear to have made them out of some specially reactive aluminium alloy! AFAIK dealers faced with this job just cut them off and fit new as the hassle with trying to remove the bolts from the old ones is not worth the hassle / cost (at dealers rates).
Richard W
Ben82

Post by Ben82 »

Northerner wrote:£60 each seems v.reasonable for those ...
Partly it's the exchange rates that are helping recently. 2 years ago they would have been the equivalent of ~£80 each. Not complaining really :)

One problem with getting stuff from Biltema (the semi Halfords equivalent, kind of doing them a disservice as I think they're better than Halfords) as everything is their own branded stuff so it's not as easy to gauge the quality etc, and sometimes getting stuff for the car can be a bit hit and miss. (e.g they do calipers, discs and pads for the rear axle of my car, but nothing for the front, front wipers, not back).
Dad was in his element though when we went there on Sunday, he couldn't believe some of the tools you could just pick up off the shelves to buy there.
Ben82

Post by Ben82 »

Haven't really got an update on this yet, but I am curious just in case the mechanic cannot (or maybe won't) fix it, what would go into doing a proper job of the brake line?

I notice on service.citroen, that the piping is broken up into sections:

And from what I can tell #9 would be what's needed, but I'm guessing un attaching it from #2 (like how both #1 and #2 are "front"; nice one citroen!) would be needed, and I assume it's not going to be a simple unplug one and replug the other (notwithstanding needing to bleed the system afterwards of course).
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

Theres several methods Ben, 3 main ones I guess.
1. You've already found, buy a pipe from Citroen and swap it with the old one.
2. If the inside of the pipe is difficult to access, the part is NFP (no f'ing parts) or Citroen want the price of your lovely new house for a stupid pipe a new pipe can be made.
To do so a piece of correctly sized pipe is bent to shape (by hand is fine), the end pieces are then slid on and the pipe ends "flared" with a flaring tool as shown in the video below.

The big advantage this way is you can cut the original pipe in the most accessible place and flare the end so you can use a joining piece, like this sort of thing. It's cheap this way if you already have a flaring tool and you can make pipes up faster than you can buy them. The flaring tool is expensive however and is advanced or professional mechanic tooling.
3. Another way is to use push on braided brake hose, not sure about the legality in Sweden but its great stuff, has flex, doesn't corrode and only needs normal tools to cut and fit. Example here. Usually found in Boy Racer shops rather than motor factors.

Theres bound to be other systems or ways but these are the 3 I have experienced myself.