Xantias disappearing?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Re: Xantias disappearing?

Post by Stickyfinger »

Merci, cheers, Ta
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
Xantia97
My Cars:

Post by Xantia97 »

http://moretteshop.dyndns.biz/product_i ... ucts_id=58

Oh you rats, you've got me drooling =P~ over these now, never thought of them before :o Didn't realise they improved the night vision, have been disappointed with Snoopy's lights since I had to change them when we moved to France, no car has ever compared to the lights on my old GS.

I'll be going round scrapyards in the next two weeks looking for an engine undertray (lost by the Citroen garage last year!!!) so will keep my eyes open.

Alasdair the ones I find will most likely be for a LHD, can they be converted? If I find some you'll get first shout - honest :-D

Juliet
1997 Xantia 1.9TD LX (owned for 14 years) - Snoopy

Gone but always remembered
GS Pallas
GSA X1
AX - bad mistake!
ZX 1.9D
3 x Opel Manta
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Just the dips I understand....the mains and back-plate/style covers are the same I believe. Lens' can be replaced even with HD units

IF I can get a set I would be able to make copies of the style covers and (or make) backing plates and give them back to you....allegedly. [-X

From what I know they are not available from them anymore....also at €.500....no chance anyway :)
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
Xantia97
My Cars:

Post by Xantia97 »

Expensive for new ones I agree, but less than I had to pay to replace the normal ones on moving to France - wish I'd known about Morettes then!!

Will do my best to find some in the scrapyards etc. and we can investigate possibilities from there.

Juliet

GS Pallas
GSA X1
AX - bad mistake!
ZX 1.9D
3 x Opel Manta
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

keep hearing about removing the foam after a spillage in the Xantia or any car, but its not necessary at all.
I spilt milk in my passenger foot well 4 pints of it and it went through the passenger seat to. when I discovered Citroen wanted £80 for a new seat foam base I did this below.

what you need to do is pull up the carpet a little in front of the passenger seat, absolutely soak the carpet with half a bucket of hot soapy water and a whole bottle of Ammonia one of the 500ml bottles, its hard to get hold of now apparently cocaine dealers use it to wash the cocaine so a lot of people wont stock it. in the case of LHM use white spirit but for gods sake don't smoke :roll: ](*,) #-o paraffin is another good solution as it will break down the LHM then use Ammonia and strong soapy hot water.

Vacuum out the oily liquid then apply the soapy mixture and vacuum again.

Then start vacuuming out the soapy liquid and milk/oil/lhm with a vax machine or builders wet and dry hoover. Borrow a dehumidifier from someone put it on a timer so that it runs on cheap over night Lecky currently 1-15am to 8 am make sure you put the machine on the front seat or in the front foot well remove the seat if you have to, I tried putting a big domestic machine in the boot of my estate it didn't dry the carpet at the front. and turn it up to almost full. prop up the top carpet in the front foot well with some pieces of 2 x 1 and small sheets of ply 2mm thick you can get this cheep in model shops, to seperate the carpet from the foam to allow the heat to reach the foam, it must be thin ply as the moisture will be dragged through it from the floor, up through the pocket you have created,

seal the doors and air vents with tape and leave to cook (Do not leave your fags inside the car this is very annoying) :twisted:

this is better if it is done in the warmer weather, it will completely dry the cabin out in about two nights. taking all the moisture out of the carpet and foam beneath it. don't worry about condensation on the windows its supposed to heat the air in the car.

cover the car in a blanket if in a garage this will help to conserve the warm air and stop the machines heater running to much or constantly. you can always treat the windows with rain x later if the condensation creeps back. Do not be tempted to open the car to see if the dehumidifier tank is filling up it can take about three or more hours to start working properly and opening the door will stop the process. Check it in the Morning. or better still at Midday the outside air is drier.

bit of hassle but it works really well, my Dad used about 3 gallons of paraffin and a vax to get a 5 litre tin of gloss high opacity Permaglaze paint off of a brand new living room carpet once and it worked brilliantly. he knocked the paint can off the top of his step ladder that was the first time I really heard him swear 8-[ now he is over 80 he swears every day...... :rofl2: :roll: :wink:

As for spotting Xantias especially estates they are getting like white dog poo very rare indeed.
but that could be because most people pick it up these days. I think there are a few about because they turn up at Citroen Rallys people tend to retire them and this time of year they are all going back to bed again for the winter, they will be back on the road in spring I expect.

regards.

Nigel.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

You hardly see an early MK1 C5 up here ,never mind Xantia.
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I saw a Green Y reg C5 today.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

yet there are about 3 2cvs and a couple of Cx's I see regularly in our area. sad really for the C5 and the Xantia
it seems that there are to many new toys offered in new cars and the scrappage scheme probably did a lot of harm to. it all comes down to things like a windscreen demister that clears the screen in a few seconds instead of waiting 10-15 mins for it to clear.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
Xantia97
My Cars:

Post by Xantia97 »

falling-out-with-my-car wrote: it seems that there are to many new toys offered in new cars
Now that is something that put me off getting a newer car, funnily enough, I kept thinking 'more things to go wrong'. We seriously looked at replacing Snoopy last year and this year - when I thought I would have to get an automatic due to a dodgy hip - considered many makes of about 2-3 years old but I can honestly say that nothing, in my opinion, topped the Xantia , so she is here to stay:-D . I'm lucky that Snoopy is in good condition despite being a bit neglected over the past few years, low mileage for her age and has everything I need - remote locking still needs to be fixed (I have a 3rd party kit to install that will do deadlocking as well, but I haven't given up trying to get the original set-up working) and the AC will be working for next summer. Spent the last few weeks detailing her and if the weather holds I'll have that finished this weekend. Spoiler to go on next and I need to try and convince the OH that I really really need a set of Morettes for night driving - nothing to do with the fact I think they will look quite cool 8-) of course :lol: . The only thing I can see making me change her is lack of spares. :(

Juliet

GS Pallas
GSA X1
AX - bad mistake!
ZX 1.9D
3 x Opel Manta
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I have to agree about the amount of 'toys' in modern cars... I think they're distracting for the driver as well as lots to go wrong... It's something I like about my C1... A toy-free zone. Not even central locking or electric windows... It has just the bare essentials needed and that's just perfect for me in what is just my runabout...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
falling-out-with-my-car

yes but is it not why we bought Citroens in the beginning because they offered more that all the others?
I have been eyeing a Pt Cruiser mainly because it looks a little like my 2cv I like the shape and the vibrant colours especially electric blue.
but the cost of maintaining it doesn't even compare to the Xantia its way to high a DMF that costs as much as a clutch kit £380 and gel battery that lays on its side under the passenger seat £280 50 to the gallon for a 2.2 diesel isn't to bad and the ride is lovely on the open roads its the closest to my S2 SX Xantia I have ever found.

these expensive bits put me right off it. but I'd still like to put the Xantia to bed in the winter and buy something else to knock around in at some point. maybe something with no road fund license fee and cheapo insurance then I can spread the annual mileage across three cars to get much cheaper insurance on all three motors.

My reason for keeping the xantia is better the devil you know lots of new bits this year new tyres exhaust alternator air con still works well. new driveshaft on drivers side, new gearbox oil seals, shaft rebuilt on passenger side, new front and rear disks and pads, N/s rear arm bush replaced new auxiliary tensioner and belt, mileage is brilliant I can run it on £50 a month for diesel easily. and get 500 miles or more. I still have to get the central locking sorted out so I'm putting a remote switch in the passenger lock motor to activate the locks by remote control £7 from a chap on flea-bay.
Ill replace the alarm with a third party one as the installed one keeps going off. the price of getting hold of good drivers door seals is alarming as they get chaffed as we get in and out of the car.

its just a crying shame the Parker price guide brings the value of the car in at a lot less than Ive spent on it at around £350 and that's for a mint condition one I'm looking at around £200 if that. it could be that resale value is having an effect on the Xantias and C5's the second hand price of cars is dropping rapidly of late.
c.morewood
Donor 2023
My Cars: '00 Xantia 110 bhp Hdi SX Estate 65K "W"
'99 Xantia 110 bhp Hdi SX Estate 310K SORN "V"
'98 Xantia 1.9TD SX Estate 150K Sold "T"

Post by c.morewood »

You don't have to replace the drivers door seal with another drivers door seal..the rear door seals will fit the front doors as I discovered a couple of days ago. I haven't found a car yet to beat the Xantia. Tomorrow I'll be filling the tank at 1025miles. 210 since the reserve light came on!
Chris
Tesla Model 3 LR DM AWD Blue White
'00 Xant 110HdiSX Est 83K "W"
'99 Xant 110HdiSX Est 320K "V"
'98 Xant 1.9TDSX Est 150K "T"
'97 Xant 1.9TD 20k Est
'94 Fiat TipoTd 40K

'85 BMW K100RT 330K Garaged 26yrs '80 Honda CB250 twin Superdream
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

c.morewood wrote:You don't have to replace the drivers door seal with another drivers door seal..the rear door seals will fit the front doors
That's a good tip Chris :-D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
falling-out-with-my-car

yes thanks anyone know of any popular motors at the scrappy that have seals big enough and similar
maybe I should buy a boot seal and cut it down?