My turn for a C5!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: My turn for a C5!

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Can anybody tell me is silicon grease is electrically safe? My scooter (Julians' IX6) was 'mauled' by the people who 'fixed' it for him, using sealing mastic to secure the battery cover in place (that was 'interesting' removing it), and I have found some of the connections had become tarnished. I have used Servisol to clean them up, but she still won't turn on (so I am leaving the battery disconnected for a while, to see if that might help). I am considering using a smear of silicon grease in each connector to protect them against future water ingress.

I found that, as they had lost some of the original bolts, there was a diverse assortment holding the battery cover in place, and a self tapping screw helping secure the stand. I have got replacement bolts of the correct type to secure the battery cover, and am expecting a couple more for the stand.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Traditional to use Vaseline James. No idea concerning silicone grease but someone might know.

I have some of this stuff that might be worth considering.

Q 20.
Only use it on locks but it looks like it might be suitable.
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

Silicone grease is an insulator not a conductor so no danger of short circuits via the grease. I personally would not use it between the post and terminal just over the whole thing once connected. :)
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Come to think of it, I use Vaseline on the pins of halogen lamps, it helps conduct the heat away and makes the bulbs last longer. Works too!
On 12V AC, 12V DC and 230V AC.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Vaseline for me too... Been using it on battery terminals since I was a teenager...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

CitroJim wrote: 26 Mar 2024, 16:06 Vaseline for me too... Been using it on battery terminals since I was a teenager...
I used to use it on my bikes but by the time I left school I had found a better use for it!! :-D :-D
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Well I think I have found why the scooter will not power up. It looks like water has got into the controller. There is water staining on the circuit board. I have reached out to the supplier (as Julian received the scooter mid July last year), in the hope they will accept it is under warranty. A replacement controller is currently £90. If I can get this one fixed (or receive a replacement) I will use a proper silicon sealant to stop water getting into it, as the flimsy rubber 'seals' are not up to the task.

There was water staining in a lot of the connectors, but a shot of Servisol has cleaned them all up. However, when I connect the battery back up (it runs directly into the controller) there is a distinct 'CRACK', and the pins get slightly blackened. That is 1KW going into the controller (around 50V at 200W).

Watch this space for more exciting episodes (maybe)!
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!