I-Spy Classic Cars/Bikes-What have you spotted?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Re: Classic car Autumn/Winter collection-2017/18

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

The miracle Maestro....Driving is believing.......

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Love that advert Neil :D I never saw it at the time as I was in Cyprus but a pal of mine there had one of the very first Maestros to be imported into Cyprus... A 1.3 with the A+ engine and I believe either a PSA or VW gearbox...

He was very pleased with it and it did him sterling service for the time he was there... He even had it shipped back to the UK - as I did an MG Metro at the end of my tour of duty :)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

Most classics are no doubt in hibernation so not much activity but I have to report a Nissan Figaro has ventured out, a winter visitor resplendent in red, not one of the original four seasons colours but still easily takes the most interesting car in the hotel car park title for December 28th 2017!

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
My Cars: Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club (quietly sleeping in a parallel universe)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate
others:-
'96 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the "donor"
'99 Jeep Cherokee Orvis - the green one
'97 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the red one
'99 Cadillac Seville STS
'96 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
& numerous what might be described as abandoned projects!

Post by van ordinaire »

Coming back on the Torbay ringroad on Saturday, just beyond Tweenaway Cross, I came up behind a Saab 96 estate (hardly common when current), which judging by its overall condition, (possibly too old to be) roofrack & homemade trailer was very much still in regular use.

Alongside at a set of lights, caught the driver's eye accross the centre lane, gave him a thumbs -up, which was returned - with a huge grin! A meeting of kindred sprits maybe. Never seen it before, but will keep an eye out - as if you could miss it!
Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club :cry:
'05 C15 :!:
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate [-o<
Jeep XJ Cherokees x 3 :?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
'99 Cadillac STS :|
& the numerous "abandoned projects" #-o
NewcastleFalcon

A winter Classic Spot of any description is rare enough, but SAAB 96's are particularly scarce at the best of times.

Not sure if the Estate Version was known as a SAAB 95. Only 74 of those currently licenced in the UK.

Here is a nice pair..what colour was "yours" Van?

Saab 95 V4 1974 [CC BY-SA 3.0 (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0)], by unknown, affiliated with Garage de l'Est, digitally modified and uploaded by User:328cia (http://www.delest.nl/autoarchief), from Wikimedia Commons

Saab 95 V4 Estate (1971) [CC BY 2.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0)], by SG2012, from Wikimedia Commons

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'99 Cadillac Seville STS

Post by van ordinaire »

Saab 95? Really? Well never knew that - but my knowledge of all things Saab is extermely limited - even though I did look after a 2-stroke job years ago.

It was dark blue - & no classic, just an old car still in use!
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
NewcastleFalcon

Well after a small amount of deliberation I'm shoving this one in here. Won the most interesting car in Morrison's car park prize for me, even took a photo of it.

Its an early Clio from 1994, and its yellow did stand out on a very dull Sunday, a prelude to a big snowfall a couple of hours later. Yes its pre-Thierry Henri and his Va-Va-Voom, and slap bang in the throws of Nicole-Papa.
from wiki Papa and Nicole-fascinating facts!

Surveys by Channel 4 and ITV revealed the series as the most popular car advertisements ever aired in Britain. In 1996, one survey found that Nicole was recognised by more Britons than Prime Minister John Major, Bob Hoskins or Chris Evans.[1] Renault was found to be the most persuasive advertiser in five European countries in 1994.
N Falcon own work
N Falcon own work
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 24 Jan 2018, 16:48, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Those early Clios were good, fun cars to drive - quite a hoot really... They did not last well and could rust so that's a rare survivor...

Colour is unusual... Is it the photo or is it a bit oxidised and in need of lots of good polish?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

It was in pretty good condition, but in the hands of a skilful poiisher I'm sure it would brush up nicely. The photographer was pretty cold at the time and was conscious of taking a quick photo before the owner came back so some camera shake may be evident!

This example from Wiki is an even earlier H-Reg one of the first I think. Lighter shade of yellow altogether.

1991 Renault Clio RL (12620142134) [CC BY 2.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0)], by Charlie from United Kingdom (1991 Renault Clio RL), from Wikimedia Commons

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'99 Cadillac Seville STS

Post by van ordinaire »

Just remembered, last Saturday, outside the garage I'd taken the Cherokee for its M0T, an M-reg Montego estate that looked like it had just been hauled out of a field, grey tyres, moss in the rain channels, rubbish strewn around the interior, a few rusty wheels in the back . . . In for an MoT, presumably to see if it had any potential for a quick profit, tester reckoned owner had only paid scrap value for it BUT, even with an MoT, can't see how it could be worth more than scrap + £50 - max!
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'99 Cadillac Seville STS

Post by van ordinaire »

On the Totnes-Newton Abbot road, heading towards Newton - a "real" Jeep!
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Another interesting one spotted in the Aldi car park :)

Robyn was with me and she gave me quite a funny look when I screeched to a halt and announced I must get a picture of it...

Apologies it has my shadow in it...
Own Work
Own Work
So, what is it?

It's for sale too... £1995. It looks in lovely nick :)
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

CitroJim wrote: 30 Jan 2018, 15:40 Another interesting one spotted in the Aldi car park :)

Robyn was with me and she gave me quite a funny look when I screeched to a halt and announced I must get a picture of it...

Apologies it has my shadow in it...
aldicar2.jpg
So, what is it?

It's for sale too... £1995. It looks in lovely nick :)
I take a small amount of pleasure when our shenanigans on here result in "real-life" smatterings of odd behaviour!

As for the car.....

Well I'm going to fall into the Volvo 740 trap! Looks pretty similar!

Volvo 700 series 01-13-2010 [Public domain], by IFCAR (Own work), from Wikimedia Commons

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

I was surprised at Robyn being surprised at my behaviour - I've been spotting cars most of her life and she's done a fair bit of H Van spotting for me in the past... Maybe she was surprised because it was not French...

Nope, not a Volvo Neil... Way, way out!

About the only similarity is the colour...

Robyn was amazed that cars came in brown in those days... She thinks brown cars are revolting - especially when they have a brown velour interior :lol:
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

Yes thought the Volvo would be wrong...heading to the far east now, I;ll waste another guess with a Toyota Cressida to get a few more hints out of you, Does have V6 on the grill!

Regards Neil

Looks a bit like a Datsun 280c as well

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/or ... 57dd6e.jpg
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 30 Jan 2018, 17:37, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey