MikeT's C5r 1.6 hdi Estate

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

MikeT

Re: MikeT's C5r 1.6 Estate

Post by MikeT »

Although I found many recommendations for the Wynns product Jim, I (or rather my wallet) decided to opt for the JLM (diesel) version as you get two "doses" per can for the same price.
http://www.jlmlubricants.com/en/product ... gr-cleaner
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

My OS dipped beam failed last night. Handbook says to use anti-UV types but am thinking of upgrading and wonder if Halford's own 50% brighter (BOGOFF for £20) are suitable, anyone know?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Presumably Anti-UV is specified to prevent damage to the plastic lens Mike..

I'd guess the packaging of the Halfauds ones will tell if they are anti-UV...

Given the proliferation of plastic lenses these days I'd have thought most bulbs would be...
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

CitroJim wrote:Presumably Anti-UV is specified to prevent damage to the plastic lens Mike..

I'd guess the packaging of the Halfauds ones will tell if they are anti-UV...

Given the proliferation of plastic lenses these days I'd have thought most bulbs would be...
Yep, swung by my local branch - nothing on the box about UV-cut, asked at till...."no idea" was her reply. Oh joy.

Came home and google says YES! "UV-Cut - suitable for plastic headlamps" :rofl2: http://www.halfords.com/motoring/bulbs- ... r-bulb-x-1
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

That's a good result Mike :D
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Bit of a weird one from the hard frost this morning. Windows stuck (not unexpected tbh) but also the gearshift was very stiff to move and the handbrake release was too free. As I began to move off (had to wait for heat to defrost screen) it was obvious the brakes were still bound. Scarey driving like this in case it caught fire or something but as hoped, it all freed off after a few miles.

When I discovered we had -7.4c last night, I was a little less concerned about the severity of the freezing but still wondering what I can do to improve this? Cleaning and poliishing/rainX the glass will help them but what about the handbrake and gear linkage? The latter concerns me more due to excess loading and possible breakage.
Stickyfinger
Donor 2016

Post by Stickyfinger »

Handbrakes on C5 1 + 1face

They are buggers and it is quite frightening that this can happen.......you will have water in them

Turn wheel out, get a pair of mole grips on the leaver for the HB-cable, "vibrate" it back and forth till working free. (I use standard engine oil).
I kept my nearside calliper going for a year like this, it did need replacing in the end. I changed it as it finally just stuck and I did not wish to blow the disks.

You may have corroded cable tubes....always do the cable and tubes at the same time and never put a new cable in an old tube, they will stick/fail soon after from all reports..........
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Thanks Alasdair. Water in the cables is not suprising given the recent weather. Assuming mine will need replacing, any idea on the best deal for the liners and cables?
Stickyfinger
Donor 2016

Post by Stickyfinger »

I would think the main dealers.....doing them yourself or indi ?
myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren »

I think the tubes are only available from the dealer - they were when I had my estate done about five years ago.
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

MikeT wrote:Just thought I'd share... I decided to try one of those EGR cleaners in a can. I'm pleased (yet surprised) to report it seems to have sorted the infamous flat-spot/hesitation issue. Surprised, becaause I couldn't understand how a vapour sprayed in the intake and then having gone through the combustion process, could possibly go on to clean soot off parts

Admittedly I ignored the instructions - choosing to squirt the whole tin in one go instead of half the content in 1-2sec bursts but glad I did. It seems to drive smoother too.
Uggh, didn't take long for the flatspot to re-appear so bought another can of EGR spray cleaner. Couldn't source the JLM brand this time and had to settle for an off-the-shelf braned "Simply" for petrol and diesel.

Also, decided to spray a bit direct into the intake in the vain hope it would clean the MAF, and despite having to go through the air filter, it actually made a noticeable driving difference. I then sprayed the rest direct into the turbo and while doing so, could hear a difference in the suction so knew it was doing something.

Unfortunately, some of it must have pooled and I was left with a runaway diesel scenario :oops: I was hesitant to stall the engine but while I procrastinated, the engine finally settled back to idle on it's own. So I'm thinking, did I make the right choice to leave it, risking engine damage or should I have potentially killed the cliutch having previously burnt out clutches with too high rpms? With the high cost of DMF clutches, perhaps a replacement engine IS cheaper?

While I may have damaged the engine or something. it's still starting and running ok and I'm really pleased with just how much smoother power delivery is. In fact, iit's not only smoother across all loads, it actually revs harder and faster than before whereas before power would tail-off approaching 4Krpm.

Additionally, my average MPG per tank has risen from 56,8MPG to 60MPG (average speed under 27mph).

UPDATE: I got an indie to test drive it today and he not only said it all seems good, but remarked how well it pulled for a 1.6.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Despite all, sounds like a result Mike! Excellent :D

Good to warn of the potential for a small 'runaway' when doing this job. bet that wasn't mentioned on the can!
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2021

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

CitroJim wrote:Despite all, sounds like a result Mike! Excellent :D

Good to warn of the potential for a small 'runaway' when doing this job. bet that wasn't mentioned on the can!
It might not have been mentioned on the can (I shall have to check my can of Simply EGR cleaner), but it is certainly mentioned in the on-line blurb, in the warning section;

http://www.simply-brands.com/additives/egr-cleaner
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Oh yes, do read the instructions and bypass them at your peril. I guess the reason some tins warn not to spray directly into the turbo is it could pool in the intercooler?

I would say these tins are fine for frequent maintenance of a previously clean intake but my car's probably been building up this crap for 70,000 miles over ten years so I knew "recommended dosage" would have neglible effect and took the risk to get noticeable results sooner. Lesson learnt, be more patient or dissamble it all and do a proper clean of everything. Alternatively, I'm thinking a small water injection kit could be effective too?

Funnily enough, when with said indie to consult on engine, I lifted the bonnet and was greeted with a frequent and prominent clicking that I hadn't noticed before - it turned out it was coming from the intake air mixer valves so they too must have been suffering.
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

How time flies - it's MOT today.

Expecting a fail as it needs two new tyres and some steering parts. There's also an exhaust leak from the EGR though that is likely to get overlooked imo. Other than that, there is previous history of it just scraping through the "balanced braking" tests, despite receipts for new discs/pads and caliper work.

Still, this is what MOT's are for, right? Stay tuned for what they find...