C5 MOT advice please

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Bandit12
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: C5 X7 diesel exclusive

Re: C5 MOT advice please

Post by Bandit12 »

Ok guys latest update- I hooked up the lexia and got some fault codes. I took pix on my mobile of each screen but home pc has crashed so cant upload them! Photos turned out well and can easily describe and list fault codes etc.

Fault codes for diesel additive function -permenant fault low additive level signal.
injection - Temporary fault-camshaft synchronising. engine spped signalvariation too sudden
Temporary fault- dust filter (FAP) particle filter clogged
temporary fault dust filter (FAP Particle filter overloaded
Remote fault
Permenant fault-fuel additive system. Fault. fuel additive low level sensor.

I did the listening test for the diesel additive pump and heard it working fine.
I did the listening test for diesel additive injector and have to be honest i couldnt hear a gentle clicking as noise.

I reset the additive counter and tried to clear the low signal fault without success. I cleared the inection faults only to have them pop up again when I rescanned the cars ECU.

I investigated further and found a whole page of faults but I cannot remember exactly which menu they were under
Permenant fault inside ECU
Temporary fault inside ECU
Permenant fault low additive level signal
Temporary fault low additive level signal
Permenant fault diesel additive injector control
Temporary fault for the same
Permanent fault for diesel additive tank pump control
Permanent fault Catalytic converter downstream temperature signal
Permanent fault fuel cap filler sensor signal

Does seem like the DPF is clogged and needs to come off. Just concerned the diesel additive isnt reaching the DPF. Is there a fooproof way of resetting the counter so it knows the additive tank is full?

Bandit
2002 Citroen C5 2.2Hdi exclusive estate (sadly gone) :(
2009 Citroën C5 X7 2.0 hdi (136bhp) exclusive estate (Oh wow what an upgrade) 8-)
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Permanent fault fuel cap filler sensor signal

This STOPs the injection and will result in a "report" of/or blocked filter....the switch/sensor is £10-15 squid. Or....does it have the correct cap with magnets in it ?
(Its failure does not fire a screen warning, just a BSI code....until the filter is blocked it seemed on mine)

?? what is the Eolys level like, my Mk1Face did not read a level, it was by sight
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
Bandit12
(Donor 2020)

Post by Bandit12 »

Hi SF

Thanks for the advice.

I believe it is the correct cap as it is black plastic, locates properly and is looped onto the car with a short piece of pastic. The EOLYS tank should be about half to 2/3rds full. Would putting a magnet on the cap with tape as a temporary testing measure work? Where is this switch/sensor positioned so I can check its working?

Bandit
2009 Citroën C5 X7 2.0 hdi (136bhp) exclusive estate (Oh wow what an upgrade) 8-)
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Sensor is on the filler tube up buy the neck, accessed via the wheel arch....I cut and soldered the connection as I could not be arsed dropping the tank/faffing around leading it thru......I do not know if that was the "safe" way to fit it.
I do not know if it can be "tested" to see if its broken or not.

I see two problems to start off with, the system not injecting and the (probably) blocked DPF, both jobs need doing really, and reset the tank figure......I think only then will you find out if the rest works :(
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
Bandit12
(Donor 2020)

Post by Bandit12 »

Thanks SF

Your advice makes alot of sense. Sort the sensor issue then clean the DPF then reset the fault codes and take it from there.

I've been googling around this topic and found lots of threads from this forum posted last year etc. One question regarding the location of the magnet(s) are they in the filler cap or in the outer spring loaded plastic cover? Only reason I ask is that there is a moulded slot on the inside of the outer plastic cover shaped to take something about the size of a pound coin but its empty? Could this mean that the magnet is simply missing? I've got a couple of rare earth magnets of similar size kicking about at home, would they do the job?

Bandit
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

What year is the car? If it's an X7 the reset procedure is quite straightforward with Lexia, if the car is the earlier shape C5 it's all but impossible to reset the ECU, replaceing the ECU is usually the only way of resolving it.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Bandit12
(Donor 2020)

Post by Bandit12 »

Hi Guys, the car is an early shape.

I've been out with a multimeter checking the filler cap sensor switch and I think it is broken. I've identified 2 magnets, one on either side of the black plastic filler cap. Then raised the seat and removed the large black inspection cover from top of the fuel tank. When I put the meter across the 2 wires I get 14.8 ohms with the cap in place and a closed circuit with no resistance with the cap is removed. I double checked a few times but all with the same result. internet search revealed new switch and harness is about £60. Going to bite bullet and replace it.

Came across an earlier thread with someone having same problem as me and doing a "forced regen" of the DPF after replacing the sensor, what is that?

Bandit
Bandit12
(Donor 2020)

Post by Bandit12 »

Change of plan. Came across this instead

total cost £8 including free postage

bargain! :-D
SaabC5
My Cars: 09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive

Post by SaabC5 »

"Forced regen" is done via Lexia or similar diagnostic machines with same function, basically you tell the car to run at 3500rpm whilst at a standstill to burn off the carbon crap. Problem is because its done with the car stationary there's no air cooling and a risk of the car setting alight. I've seen a Mondeo go up in flames doing a forced regen because they didn't have a fire extinguisher to hand.
09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive in Perla Nera black (the best colour) :wink:
Bandit12
(Donor 2020)

Post by Bandit12 »

OMG! no wonder its not listed in the essential service section of the Haynes manual! :shock:
That sounds a bit too aggressive for Fifi and I think I will give that a miss :lol:
Would it work if I drove car on motorway and held it in 3rd gear at 70 (3000rpm) for about 10 minutes? should overcome the cooling issues and wont shower the neighbours car in soot from DPF :-D

Bandit
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

If the "system" is working, yes it will start to over fuel to raise the pre filter temps to burn out the deposits......

Do not be put off a forced regen......make sure there are good oil levels, you are parked up on a non tarmac surface (eg concrete) .....a cool day makes sense or add a couple of house fans with the bonnet up but,
................ in reality it is no harder on the car than driving its just your not standing next to it at 60mph to hear the noise a car makes...:)
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
SaabC5
My Cars: 09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive

Post by SaabC5 »

There is a point of "no return" with blocked DPF whereby nothing will unblock it except removing it and cleaning. My DPF had about 10% of the holes still clear when it was pulled, you could hear exhaust gasses hissing out of the joints of the exhaust where it was so blocked up.
09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive in Perla Nera black (the best colour) :wink:
Bandit12
(Donor 2020)

Post by Bandit12 »

Latest update guys,

I got a set of mintec discs and pads from my local parts supplier round the corner for £90. I couldve got a better deal online but I like supporting local shops cos you never know when you might need them. Discs and brakes all fitted perfectly and work very well :-D
I ordered the parts to make up a fuel cap sensor,(£8 including pnp) soldered one up and fitted it. Hardest part was shifting the whell arch liner as the bolts had rounded off :(
Lexia says its all working :-D
Tried to remove the DPF filter and failed. i couldnt unbolt any of the sensors or the injector pipes. They were solid and I didnt want to force them and break them. I tried a forced regen instead which appears to have done the trick :-D however I am mindful of the tips given earlier and would still like to remove the DPF filter espacially as I have a nice bottle of acid based wheel cleaner sitting on the shelf waiting.
Only issue I'm having is "engine fuel additive low" Does the tank haev a float in it like the fuel tank? I've partially topped up the EOLYS tank with 2 litres but its not made any difference. Whats the best way of telling the car that the tank is now about half full?

Bandit