Xantia Battery selection

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Zelandeth
Donor 2024
My Cars: 2006 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi.
1988 Renault 25 Monaco 2.0i.
1985 Sinclair C5.
1984 Trabant 601S.
1975 Rover 3500.
1973 AC Model-70.

Re: Xantia Battery selection

Post by Zelandeth »

Don't really know to be honest, it's a button on the charger!

From memory what I saw when I stuck a scope across it during the cycle, it was feeding the battery with very high charge current in a squarewave at a couple of KHz with a fairly low duty cycle. The idea being I think that it encourages any lead sulphate crystals to detach from the battery plates. Not sure if it does other things during the cycle though as it takes a few hours. If I had a scope with data logging capability I would investigate further.

Seems to work well though as it's got a couple of batteries that were marginal back to decent performance.

My only gripe with the charger is common to many "smart" chargers is that if you present it with a thoroughly dead battery it won't touch it. However if you stick it on an old fashioned one for a couple of hours, then put it on this one it will happily start charging it, then usually drop into the conditioning cycle automatically because it detects that the battery isn't charging properly.
Current fleet:
06 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi, 88 Renault 25 Monaco, 85 Sinclair C5, 84 Trabant 601S, 75 Rover 3500, 73 AC Model 70.
dnsey

Re: Xantia Battery selection

Post by dnsey »

Ah - yes I'm aware of the desulphating AC idea - interesting to know that it seems to make your batteries last.
Thanks.