C5 2008 - After the fusebox, its now suspension

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Fedupofc5

Re: C5 2008 - After the fusebox, its now suspension

Post by Fedupofc5 »

It was definitely thin, when i felt it in my fingers it seemed colourless and odourless. And whatever little that was on the floor seem to have dried completely, and hence i thought it could not have been oil.
oldsmithy
My Cars: C5x7 2.0hdi exclusive tourer

Post by oldsmithy »

Lds is a synthetic oil so stains the driveway. However the scuttle in front of the windscreen can collect quite large amounts of water if the drain holes get blocked with leaves etc resulting in water getting inside via the cable grommets.wetting the floor causing steamed up interior Windows. Check via the black slotted plastic grill under the wiper motors. Mine blocked and were holding about two pints of water. They drain through to the wheel arches behind the wheel arch covers provided they don't get blocked
C5-X7 Tourer Exclusive. 2ltr HDI Auto
Fedupofc5

Post by Fedupofc5 »

Hi oldsmith, that seems right, they were draining through the back of the wheel arches. So that definitely rules out any leakage. Thanks
Fedupofc5

Post by Fedupofc5 »

Guys, is there any procedure to remove the battery? as i'm looking to get to the under battery fusebox.

And after reconnecting the battery is there anything i need to check?

Thanks.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Here is the recommended battery removal/replacement procedure for the C5 and probably other models too.

A bit long winded but simple enough.
oldsmithy
My Cars: C5x7 2.0hdi exclusive tourer

Post by oldsmithy »

The 40amp Midi fuse is in the red fuse box here
C5-X7 Tourer Exclusive. 2ltr HDI Auto
dei9
My Cars:

Post by dei9 »

Stickyfinger wrote:
Fedupofc5 wrote:Hey sticky,
Was yours a blown fuse or faulty motor? How much is it costing you?

Thanks,
Stuffed motor, being changed under warranty thank goodness....about £1500-£1700 fitted I think...eg...HALF the worth of the car.
EBAY a recovered one if you have to pay, CHECK all other things first as guided by the others.
How much? How on earth do they justify that price?
...from Dei

1999 Xantia 2.0 Hdi 110 Exclusive (8396)
2001 Xsara 2.0 Hdi 110 LX Auto
Fedupofc5

Post by Fedupofc5 »

Guys, apologies for the late reply, i had to wait a week for the part to arrive from amazon, 2x40amp midi fuse for £2.50.

A BIGGGG THHHANNKKK YOOUUU to oldsmithy, myglaren, stickyfinger and everyone who contributed. It was the 40amp midi, once replaced, she rose and everything is ok now.

Oldsmithy, give me shout when you come to Dundee, i owe you a drink. Thanks mate.
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Good Job done.........

have you found the reason why it blew ?.........I would be nervous of the pump now and it may be a good thing to source a good replacement one at leisure to get a good price, change the brushes and clean it up inside ready to drop it in at a later date.

They normally blow the fuse due to water, dirt or worn out brushes....Be Prepared :)
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
Fedupofc5

Post by Fedupofc5 »

Hi Sticky,
I'am assuming that its the water as i did have some water draining from the wheel arches (which oldsmith confirmed that it could be water blocked under the wipers)

Now, after having nothing but headaches with this car and reading about the issues you've had with a relatively newer car than mine, i dont think ill be sticking with this car for long. I'm active looking at the japanese and kia for their 7 year warranty. No french vehicles anymore.
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

I cannot blame the car to much, standard stuff across all makes and standard sort of prices from any dealer......my problem is really with the way the dealers have looked after it. Remember a lot of stuff on the car are are sealed for life !...just Citroen think life is only 5 years or £150K

the AUDI next door has cost them (even with a dealer ticket) a good few ££££ due to "electrical faults" not being covered........they are (makers/dealers) all the same at the X7 level of car.

IF it was not on a ticket, the pump would be £300 from a breakers, with the older C5's, pumps are quite cheap and worth servicing a 2nd hand one.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
Cptnemo14

Post by Cptnemo14 »

Stickyfinger wrote:LDS is thin and light brown oil.....does it feel slippy between your fingers ?

(the older LHM is GREEN and you should not use it)
This is kinda long wided sorry
Hi new to this computer stuff I have a C5 HDI 2.0 diesel and have problems with my suspension ,I had a leak in one of the pipes about 6weeks ago ,fixed that and it has been working great since then ,till the other day I used the button to raise the car because I was going on a rough road ,1 mile long there and back let it down and then drove home ,about 5 miles . Then drove it at night to take wife to her friends and the speed bumps were hitting the bottom of car so tried to lift it but to no avail kept on trying it then checked for leaks ,none ,so went to the fuse box none of the little ones were blown then checked the maxi fuse and the 40 amp was blown replaced it and it worked fine car raised up etc but when I tried it later on ,maybe half an hour later the fuse had blown again but car had not dropped down so no leaks ,replaced fuse again and work for a ten mins or so ,is this a common fault with these cars or maybe just my luck is there any advice you can give me ,getting desperate now ,think I got shares in the fuse companyHa Ha can't see any short circuits anywhere obvious so could it be the pump not being used for a while,any help would do greatly appreciated .
Cpt Nemo
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

I think you have answered your own question....with 3/4 fuses blown, you have a problem with the pump....its bust/broken, its a dead pump mate and needs repair or replacing....sorry.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
Cptnemo14

Post by Cptnemo14 »

Yeh I kinda thought that but if thats the way it crumbles well that the way eh ! never mind I got a brother in law that is electrical engineer so got a good start ,thanks very much for your advice , when I get it fixed is it a good idea to make it go up n down on a regular basis or not if it makes the pump work too much .
Cheers and thanks for your help got too speak nice to the wife now an see if she can slacken the purse strings Ha Ha
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Yep....sorry about that.....but

there are good links on the site to help with the rebuild of the motor or switching it over for a working one.

When the brushes are low, the brass carriers lift and cause the problems you are having.....normally stuffing the pump, so you are likely to have to replace it.
As you have an expert in the family, get him to overhaul the 2nd hand motor, it will need cleaning and new brushes....never seen a report of the pump side failing, just the motor.

Refitting is OK as a DIY job, the pump/system self bleeds and is a good time to clean the LDS tank/filter....again good guides on the site.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider