what latest c5 has the self leveling suspension

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Re: what latest c5 has the self leveling suspension

Post by citroenxm »

It is easyer to say stay away from 1.6s though most picassos are 1.6 autos.. the picasso auto box dsg type box is a horrid jerky box.. my sister has a picasso 1.6 with dsg auto. Its horrid! !

C5 autos are geniune autos.. with the 2.0 16v hdi engine you get a 6 speed aisin auto box. Better then a zf less troublesome but still need fluid changes to help it live longer..
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

X7 Exclusive only as standard
Any other model with self levelling would have been as an option when ordering new I should think. (or maybe an import?)

By the way, if you can stand a bit less MPG, the 2.2 HDI isn't the bad engine that people make out. I take it granddad isn't going to buy something a few years old with massive mileage, so the 2.2 is a reasonable alternative.
Mine has been faultless for 3 years so far. I guess the electrics are more likely to create problems than either the 2.0l or the 2.2l lumps.
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

qprdude wrote: I take it granddad isn't going to buy something a few years old with massive mileage,

I guess the electrics are more likely to create problems than either the 2.0l or the 2.2l lumps.
Then he NEEDS to be informed about modern engines with DPF on them and how to drive to avoid DPF Errors
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
jacksun1987

Post by jacksun1987 »

My grandad had all sorts since I can remember he's had dayann scimitar ss1 reliant kitten pug 305 diesel bx tzd espase mk 1 and mk 2 Nissan x trail then another Nissan xtrail with them he had a mg tf bmw 3 25 soft top. Then bmw 1 series 3 door and his current 1 a bmw 1 series 5 door mostly all have been diesel apart from the obvious ones had 4 caravans 1 was a old 5 birth then he got them hymer ones them thin touring ones he had a big one then down sizes then he up sizesd god knows how many bikes he had in the past at the moment he's got a moto guzzi foilda built a side car to put the dog in think he's 77 this December
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

An accomplished motorist then. He probably knows more about modern diesels than most. Just needed to know which X7 had self levelling. Now he knows. ;-)
Rick.

jacksun1987

Post by jacksun1987 »

Hopfully going to have a look at a c5 exclusive estate 10. Plate 2 liter hdi 129 k on it under 5 grand full service history mot till January 16 only 15 miles away from where we are manual as well
What should we look out for
jacksun1987

Post by jacksun1987 »

My grandad test drove it he said was nice what bhp do theses 2 liter hdi have the bloke said 160 bhp and what mpg u get out of it looked very good condition the bloke said 45 to 50 mpg
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

It could be a 138 or 160 really at that age iirc as I think 2009/2010 was the cut over.

Ideally belts should have been done, dpf should have been topped up or possibly replaced as they do reckon about 100k for a dpf these days :(
If it's an auto then gearbox fluid needs doing ASAP, Lds, brake and coolant fluids should all have been changed as well so check history for it.

They reckon about 20k for services but this is far too long for long term reliability on the engines so get it changed ASAP and then stick to 6-10k services if you want it to last long.

Check rear discs and pads as most are still on their originals as tears are barely ever used so always worth factoring into a purchase.

Check all tyres for inside wear as the front and rear use double wishbone type systems so can easily be knocked out of a kilter and lead to toe in/out but can be rectified easy enough as most bushes aren't too bad, the front FRIP(lower balljoint) ones are a bit of a pig compared to normal lowers and far from cheap as well!

Check the rear underneath for rust around the spare wheel well and the rear suspension spheres in the centre for rust and muck as they are quite exposed to all the muck under the car they attract and collect it all and can't rot quite quickly surprisingly.

Most exclusives are a bit Spartan on spec, ie no leather, nav, panoramic roof...
They are options well worth hunting for as the seats are that much better IMO.

If it's cheap even with high miles then there is usually a reason! Good ones with toys hold their money but I'd personally aim for one around 60-100k.

I've bought one myself recently and budgeted in brakes all round, belts, fluids, tyres, water pump and the only option it hasn't got is a panoramic roof as I wasn't that keen on having it or the extra weight at the top of the vehicle in an already heavy car.

It's well worth it but budget IMO around £10k all in for a decent 9-10plate with reasonable mileage and doing all the bits above DIY or at a local Indy.

The autos are worse on fuel by a good bit around town but around 10% or so on a run compared to the manuals.

For DIY stuff the 2.0 is the best but for a car that's not doing loads of miles then a 2.7/3.0 is a good choice :)
jacksun1987

Post by jacksun1987 »

It looked really good neck. He was an old chap who just took people to airports. He did say that might need a cambelt in the next 5 k or so. The engine sounded nice was very comfy. The spheres looked a bit rusty in the engine and was tiny bit dirty. He was honest said was standing for a while because he got him self a merc. he said he had quite alot of c5 s. He even said he had 1 with over 300 k on it
I dant put the link up because someone might snatch it up lol
jacksun1987

Post by jacksun1987 »

this is the one we went to see
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... ?logcode=p" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

fund another one whats close to us but bloody dear
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2009-Citroen- ... 25a5789de2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Both nice, 2nd is very good, but over priced by at least a grand
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

The price on the 1st one is a realistic price for the 2nd one!!

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

To be fair, the second car has a much higher spec, and could be as little as 6 months older?. 40,000 miles less on the clock , which mean 40,000 less on all the components on the car. At 120000mls, you have to be looking at belts, DPF and possibly a close look at the DMF clutch. At 80,000 you have a comfortable 3 years or so at average mileage before worrying about them (Depending on how they have been driven of course)
The second car could be a grand over what I would expect to pay, but the exclusive with full leather rather than "leather interior"!!!, Sat nav and electric heated memory seats with drivers massage seat are almost as rare as hens teeth.
The suspension is supposed to be "maintenance free" for 5 years so both cars might need a check of the system.
Hope granddad finds a good one.
Rick.

jacksun1987

Post by jacksun1987 »

if i tell him about the massage heated seats and memory setting im sure that will convince him lol. He just cant be bothered selling cars rather trade them in. So if they give him 4 grand for his bmw he prob get it for half price
old'uns
My Cars: '02 C5 - gone
'09 X7 - gone
CMax - X7 replacement - gone
Acadiane - lost to a V5c applicant
'06 C5 VTR auto est
'90 Honda Beat
'73 ST70 Dax
'75 ST Dax - 120 powered

Post by old'uns »

qprdude wrote:To be fair, the second car has a much higher spec, and could be as little as 6 months older?. 40,000 miles less on the clock , which mean 40,000 less on all the components on the car. At 120000mls, you have to be looking at belts, DPF and possibly a close look at the DMF clutch. At 80,000 you have a comfortable 3 years or so at average mileage before worrying about them (Depending on how they have been driven of course)
The second car could be a grand over what I would expect to pay, but the exclusive with full leather rather than "leather interior"!!!, Sat nav and electric heated memory seats with drivers massage seat are almost as rare as hens teeth.
The suspension is supposed to be "maintenance free" for 5 years so both cars might need a check of the system.
Hope granddad finds a good one.
^^ what he said + what everyone else is saying re price....

BUT...1st one is a private sale, 2nd is Dealer, albeit a Volvo one so in theory 'safer' :? plus already has towbar fitted and if your Grandad likes the easy way out of getting shut of the BM?....

with having the Hens tooth spec i'm surprised no Panoramic roof? seem to recall most i looked at had it with the upper spec level?
currently '06 C5 2.0 HDi auto estate Tip run and France trekker - well should be!! occupied currently by '10 Superb DSG 170 elegance- whistles and bells that work