1.6 HDi injectors

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Re: 1.6 HDi injectors

Post by RichardW »

SWMBO reports that it tends to give the handbrake fault when its wet - and it was v wet last week, so things deteriorated somewhat - depollution fault up, and when i drove it there was definite hesitation at around 2k rpm. Not had it on lexia yet, but expecting to see EGR fault. Unsure as to whether it's actually the EGR valve or not though - given that damp conditions seem to bring it on! Sure I read somewhere that there was a recall on these to prevent water running down the back of the engine.... There's no evidence of water ingress at the fuse box, so I'm leaning towards that being ruled out - although it may still be the source of the handbrake faults :roll: I'm willing to bet that changing the EGR valve on this is challenging to say the least - given that most of the engine is buried under the scuttle I suspect the clamp is all but inaccessible.....

Not sure what to do with it really. Box of matches, maybe.... :twisted:
Richard W
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

Interested to know what faults Lexia will reveal here Richard. Meanwhile, I take it you didn't find the 307 turbo vac solenoid or if you did, haven't swapped it out yet? If you missed my recent Lexia Recording posts, you'll see I'm now leaning toward the hesitation being a turbo fault on mine.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

Replied to your other post Mike.

Not Lexia'd it yet - but some interesting obs today from being out in a couple of times. First time, all lights were off, and it ran fine. Went through a pothole and the handbrake light came straight on, but no EML and it continued to run OK. Stopped at the tip, and moved it twice, and then as we left both handbrake and EML were back on - and it was running badly all the way home, lots of hesitation between 1 and 2k - thought it was going to stall a couple of times (although there was no problem at higher revs). Then back to the tip again later, and although the EML was on, it ran just fine. I'm leaning towards an electrical fault on the fuse board so going to bite the (£160!) bullet and change it to see where that gets us.

Re the turbo vac solenoid - having discovered via the net that it is on the back of the block above the OS drive shaft I decided not to try and swap it over!!
Richard W
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

Fitted a new fuse board....much the same :roll: Been running OK the last few weeks (I've been using it for work), but depol light has been on most of this week. Lexia'd it last night and sure enough EGR faults. Checked the live data, and the reported position is all over the place compared to what it's supposed to be. By contrast, the 307 EGR reported position is spot on with the requested position, so I think it's definitely up the swanny. Unsure whether cleaning it will be enough, or if if will need a replacement - any one got any thoughts? Looks like a mare to replace on this installation (most of the engine is buried under the scuttle), so might be best to just replace it - although I remember Lighty saying that the cheap ones on e-bay were hit and miss, and a pukka one is £350 or so.... :evil: I have read somewhere that knackered EGR was causing the handbrake fault on one car, presumably by pulling the signal voltage down, so changing it might fix the handbrake 'fault' as well - the ABS ECU can see the engine speed no problem on Lexia.

Oh, and the 307 needs an injector seal as well now :roll: #-o
Richard W
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Sorry to learn the fusebox swap hasn't helped but that's the risk with guesswork, I guess. I also guess it's possible the EGR is actually working as commanded but the copy position sensor isn't reporting it correctly. Either way, it may just need a good cleaning. £350 is a hefty price to risk on a guess.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

I'm pretty sure it's the EGR valve (or the wiring.... :roll: ). I found a fault diagnosis against one of the EGR codes, and it says one of the effects is disabling the auto park brake (can't find it again though!). So it looks perhaps that the handbrake is just a red herring, and it's been the EGR all along. I might have a look at the connector, and the ECU connectors - can probably get the connector just by taking the fuel filter out. I've seen genuine valves on the bay for £95 - it doesn't seem that cleaning the electro mechanical ones is easy / successful. Got to sort it as it's pretty well a permanent fault now, and it won't MOT with the ESP light on.
Richard W
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

EGR valve, CLIC pliers, Air filter & diesel filter ordered.

Having done that I had a sudden thought - the air box is loose on this, car I wonder if it might have rubbed on the EGR wiring.... Anyway, nothing lost, if it turns out not to be the valve, I can fit it to the 307, as the one on there is noisy at shut down sometimes!
Richard W
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

My airbox is loose too. Someone previously broke every bottom lug on it (as well as other intake parts/locators). Even the battery cover was missing when I bought. Did I mention how much I hate irresponsible service agents? (sorry for the rant).

How much was the EGR you ordered? I still think it's worth trying to clean it. The copy sensor and mechanicism seems the most exposed (to dirt).
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

£95 for a genuine Valeo one. I'll strip the old one and clean it, then I will have a spare to drop onto the 307 sometime. I still have to get a new clamp and gasket from the dealer - but I'm hopeful that with the proper pliers (which were only a fiver) I'll be able to re-use the original. Found a youtube vid of someone cleaning one from a C-Max:

Richard W
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

New valve fitted this afternoon - not as difficult as I feared. Once the wipers, scuttle trim, insulation, diesel filter and bracket, air pipes, and air filter lid are removed, access is not too bad :lol: Had to remove the battery cover so that there was enough room to remove the air box - it was getting in the way of getting the clamp off. Even with the proper pliers this was awkward, and I doubt it could be re-used. When you undo the bolts, keep a hold of the gasket, otherwise it disappears down the back of the engine never to be seen again (new one only 50p though)! Getting the bolt started in the new clamp will try your skills of manual dexterity whilst reaching over / around the engine! Faults cleared, and now the position tracks the requested position closely. Took the top off the old valve - there was a fair amount of soot in the top part where the actuator goes onto the valve spindle, but it certainly wasn't stuck. Been out for a few miles and all lights stayed off - but then it did that last time I had the battery off....
Richard W
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Fingers crossed you've fixed the problem, Richard.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

Changed the pollen filter today - every bit as awkward as I remembered. What an utterly useless piece of design! It's worse than I originally thought - the reason you can't remove the filter is that there are 'fingers' moulded into the heater housing which, as you pull out the filter and it bends, catch on the pleats on the filter. What a crock!!!
Richard W
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

Fixed it, I think :mrgreen:

>200 miles since the weekend and no EML or handbrake warning. It also appears to get better between 1500 - 2000 rpm, it's almost always had a sort of flat pick up from low speed this car, but it seems better now. Could be imagining that though.... :lol: The idle is slightly rough sometimes, which it wasn't before, but I can live with that if it's not beeping at us all the time, and in danger of failing an MOT! Seems to have lessened through the week anyway.
Richard W
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

Well done Richard. A few quid lighter on this one?
Remind me to steer clear of engines rammed so far up a bulkhead...........they squeak!
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

The results sound promising, Richard! Have you had the opportunity to further diagnose the old valve yet?