non starter

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Re: non starter

Post by qprdude »

When I had the battery disconnected, I gave all the visible fuses and "relays?" a good shaking about. Didn't want to pull them as I am suspicious of C5 electrics and didn't want a warning coming up. I shifted them all from side to side and pushed them firmly into place. I was surprised to notice that at least half of the fuses could be pushed in another 2-3 mm before they were seated.
Phoned the Arnold Clark warranty people this morning and explained the problem and they said they would check on the warranty and get back to me.
This afternoon, a very nice chap from Ness motors in Inverness got back to me and said that they were still honouring the original 3 year warranty. I told him that Arnold Clark had sent me a £440 cheque for the work I had done a few weeks ago. He insisted that Ness motors, where I bought the car, would deal with the warranty. Pretty decent set up really. He said to take the car to the Citroen garage where I got the service done, get it diagnosed, then get the garage to phone them for confirmation that the warranty covers the cost. He seemed to think that almost all the main electrics are covered.
My main problem is that there were no errors or warning lights thrown up, and the car started first time today, and every time since. I might phone the garage next week and ask for advice, as I still have a slight suspension leak to be investigated. The warranty also has a £50 tow you to a garage clause, plus my AA membership says they will tow the car to a registered main dealer so at least I wont be stranded.
This spraying the fuse box idea......how and with what? Cheers.
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
Filberton

Re: non starter

Post by Filberton »

If the garage are good you might let them have a go first. If you have disconnected the battery there is no problem in pulling the fuses right out ( so long as you remember where they came from! [emoji3] ) when I do it I would lightly rub the spades on emery cloth and spray the contacts. Definitely do the big plugs as well. Push off the roll-over clamp and they come out quite easily ( just remember they are on a lift cam so do not fully re-seat until you re-set the clamp - so don't try to force them down )
If it is an electric fuel pump connection at fault this may not throw a fault ( unless you crank excessively when you may get a "low fuel rail pressure" fault, but that is a transient or pending so may show on a diagnostic but not put on the light.

For spraying you really want a cleaner not oil so personally I would avoid WD40.
I use a product called Servisol Contact Cleaner available from such as Maplin. They also do the same stuff under their own label.

Ps don't think all is well if it seems ok for now, you might have a part connection which is now running hot and melting awAy unseen.

Honestly, cleaning is straight forward [emoji3] if I can do it.... Anybody can! [emoji28]

Good luck

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Current: C5 X7 Exclusive 2.0 HDI Manual (2008)
C3 Puretech 1.2 Feel (2017)

Previous: Citroen C5 mk1 2.0 HDI,
Peugeots 407, 406, 406,205,309, 306 Meridian, 306 L, Peugeot 207L 1.4 manual (2003)