problem starting after fuel filter change Xantia

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

chinkostu
My Cars: N Xantia 1.9TD SX
03 Fiesta 1.4 Zetec

Re: problem starting after fuel filter change Xantia

Post by chinkostu »

I changed mine on tuesday and had to deal with losing a bit of fuel, the housing was full to the brim! And to think i was worried it was leaking back :D
Stu

Cars
1995 Xantia 1.9TD SX in (faded) Red
2003 Fiesta 1.4 Zetec in GREEEEEEEN
2001 206 1.9 LX
2001 Saxo VTR
1999 Saxo 1.1 East coast
1999 Punto :oops:
1996 306 1.8 XN Auto :?
1996 Fiesta 1.3 #-o
DublinChris
My Cars: 1998 Series 2 - 1.9TD owned from '98 216,000+ miles
Previously BX19DTR, BX19TD, BX19TZD

Post by DublinChris »

evilally wrote:Good stuff. When I fit a new filter, I leave the top off the housing, and prime it until the housing fills right to the top with fuel. That way there is a minimum of air in the system. It might be the one way valve in the primer has stopped working, so when you've opened the lid on the filer housing, all the fuel has run back to the tank. That would leave loads of air in the system. How much fuel was in the housing when you retrieved the old filter? It should have been full to the top.
When I initially loosened off the 4 screws and lifted the top off the housing was full of diesel. The diesel spilled out over the edge. I removed old filter which would have been well soaked and fitted new dry filter but then refitted top of housing. Only at that stage did I pump the housing and pipe to the diesel pump to prime it. I think that your idea of pumping to fill housing at least to top with new filter in place and soaking new filter before you refit the top of housing does make sense to minimise any trapped air. There could well have been air trapped around the paper of the new filter that was not completely eliminated with the first hand priming. Some of the trapped air must have then created the airlock which was only eliminated but loosening off the two outer accessible injectors and fortunately that did do the trick.

I do still have a slow starting problem to contend with and some black smoke on starting after car has been sitting for few hours. Maybe the underlying problem now is glow plugs? The slow starting problem only surfaced in this last week and that is what prompted me to change fuel filter in first place - so the tank strainer will be next to check and possibly consider the glow plugs. Will see how I get on over next week or so.

Regarding the problem I had in January with the rev counter spinning around and the pump advancing - that all seemed to settle down and has not reared its head for a long time now.
Let the good times roll

current every day 1998 Xantia turbo diesel 1905cc series 2
chinkostu
My Cars: N Xantia 1.9TD SX
03 Fiesta 1.4 Zetec

Post by chinkostu »

If your plugs were nackered it would be white smoke. Black is usually incomplete burning. Air filter clear? Egr not blocked?
Stu

Cars
1995 Xantia 1.9TD SX in (faded) Red
2003 Fiesta 1.4 Zetec in GREEEEEEEN
2001 206 1.9 LX
2001 Saxo VTR
1999 Saxo 1.1 East coast
1999 Punto :oops:
1996 306 1.8 XN Auto :?
1996 Fiesta 1.3 #-o
DublinChris
My Cars: 1998 Series 2 - 1.9TD owned from '98 216,000+ miles
Previously BX19DTR, BX19TD, BX19TZD

Post by DublinChris »

So after getting car started on the Monday morning and driving around all day with no problems we went to bed Monday night. Well Tuesday morning and no start!! :cry: So hook up to friends Jeep and once again crack two accessible injectors after 5 mins or so she fired up . Off we go thinking she drawing in air somewhere maybe the seal at top of housing. Anyway as day progressed starting became more difficult after sitting up for couple of hours things were not great so now we go down glow plug route and decide they must be problem and that it was not an air issue at all just coincidence that the non starting coincided with filter change :roll: So wednesday morning appointment with mech to check/change glow plugs. Arranged to park her up at friends with jeep overnight and to have her hooked up to his battery before trying to start and to crack injectors as well just in case it was double isue. Well after some time of turning ignition on and off rapidly she spluttered into life and away we went. So basically all 4 plugs were for bin - they dead. No air in system at all so problem was the plugs all along they just happened to give up ghost at same time as filter change. Now things are good and she cant wait to fire up =D> =D> and she just turned 193000 yesterday.
Let the good times roll

current every day 1998 Xantia turbo diesel 1905cc series 2