Clutch / Gear issues - Can I do this?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: Clutch / Gear issues - Can I do this?

Post by Peter.N. »

The fact that it baulks is an indication that the synchros are good, otherwise it would crunch when you were trying to engage gear. Definitly sounds like the clutch to me.

Peter
PugLover

Post by PugLover »

WOW, thank you for all your advice!
It definitely is cable clutch, my previous car had a hydraoulically adjusted clutch and that was feather light, this is a heavy old clutch so definitely a clutch cable, plus I logged into Citroen service yesterday and that confirms it's cable.

How far is the biting point? Answer is very low - not high at all, which is another reason I didn't suspect the clutch!

I will try that engaging first then starting to see if the car moves - good idea!

Thank you everyone for your advice, even for a clutch I've been quoted stupid money with the cheapest coming in at £600!
Citroen Synergie - 1.9 DT XUD9 TE lump (8 seater, daily driver)
Peugeot 406 ~ 2.0 Petrol estate (Sold in 2014, Missed every day.)
PugLover

Post by PugLover »

Will I be able to fill the gearbox oil on it? I ask only because I have had to top up the oil last night and my god - that is a pain in ones rear.
Not only do you have to fill in through the DIPSTICK, but it's below the brake fluid reservoir, It's a real pain! How would I drain the oil that's already in the gearbox? Never had to do that before? It's certainly worth a try, thank you!
flying clutchman
My Cars:

Post by flying clutchman »

If the pedal is very low it may just be that the cable adjuster is not working peoperly. About 15 years ago my local mini-cab firm had a few of these and one they thought needed a new clutch just had a dodgy cable. Shouldn't worry too much about the oil, new oil isn't going to affect the clutch operation. A new cable has to be the cheaper option, it certainly won't make it worse!
PugLover

Post by PugLover »

That is very true! Thanks! Laughed at your name, Flying Clutchman hehe.
Fingers crossed it is just the cable! Thanks :)
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

It's a pull clutch as far as I can see, which normally wear with the biting point going out to the top of the pedal. My thoughts are this is the cable. It might be possible to wake up the adjuster by simply letting the pedal bang up a few times.

Re the oil.... pull the dip stick out, then it should be possible to unscrew the 3" dia disc underneath, which then makes a much more sensible sized hole to pour the oil into..... :lol:
Richard W
PugLover

Post by PugLover »

RichardW wrote:It's a pull clutch as far as I can see, which normally wear with the biting point going out to the top of the pedal. My thoughts are this is the cable. It might be possible to wake up the adjuster by simply letting the pedal bang up a few times.

Re the oil.... pull the dip stick out, then it should be possible to unscrew the 3" dia disc underneath, which then makes a much more sensible sized hole to pour the oil into..... :lol:
Took it to a garage and they had a play with it, it seems if you engage the clutch and wait 2-3 seconds then it glides into gear. They say its probably the original clutch so will need doing when it gets much worse!

Ha ha :rofl2: didn't know that bit unscrewed! =D> Hurrah that man! I'll give that a try later lol!
I suggested to the mechanics about the cable being replaced, they laughed at me saying if it was the cable the pedal would have lost height etc
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

If the problem is a dragging clutch, then would it not be grating when engaging reverse?
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

If it doesn't have synchro - yes.
flying clutchman
My Cars:

Post by flying clutchman »

PugLover wrote:
RichardW wrote:It's a pull clutch as far as I can see, which normally wear with the biting point going out to the top of the pedal. My thoughts are this is the cable. It might be possible to wake up the adjuster by simply letting the pedal bang up a few times.

Took it to a garage and they had a play with it, it seems if you engage the clutch and wait 2-3 seconds then it glides into gear. They say its probably the original clutch so will need doing when it gets much worse!

Ha ha :rofl2: didn't know that bit unscrewed! =D> Hurrah that man! I'll give that a try later lol!
I suggested to the mechanics about the cable being replaced, they laughed at me saying if it was the cable the pedal would have lost height etc
Ah, when you said the biting point is low I assumed the pedal was low. If it goes into gear if you wait then it's probably been in the car for so long the splines on the shaft have got rusty! Now you've got a system just drive it till it stops!
PugLover

Post by PugLover »

Thank you - will do :)