Well the forum is back on-line running phpBB 3.1, still a bit of testing to do, so it may be up and down for then next few hours.
Although we have tried to keep the look-and-feel of the forum unchanged, users may notice a few changes since the phpBB 3.1 upgrade:
- The forum now has better rendering on small screens, so can be used directly on phones without the need for Tapatalk (but Tapatalk is still supported).
- A new notifications system, similar to those found on Facebook or Google, can inform you of new replies to watched topics, posts quoting you, or new moderation activity.
- You will now see an Google Custom Search box on the navigation bar just below the header (not on small screen devices),
and also near the top of the search page (also on small screen devices, but not tapatalk).
The new search box performs a Google search of the contents of the forum and wiki. It is rather good. Try searching for C5 rear brakes corrosion in both the new and old search systems, and see which you prefer!
- On a forum index page, hovering the mouse over a topic title gives a preview of the first and last posts in the topic.
- Users may now upload their avatars from Gravatar (see http://www.gravatar.com).
- There is a new user profile field My Cars which shows beside each post (and in a few other places). New users fill in the field during registration, existing users may transfer the data from their signature if they wish.
- Various buttons and boxes at the top of the page have moved around
The Active Topics button now works correctly on all sub-forums.
- There are many other changes inside the forum software which should improve reliability and security and make life easier for the moderation and administration team.
Note that if you have ad-blocking software installed on your browser, the Google custom search will only work if you unblock the "Google AJAX Search API" cookie. Gravatar avatars only work properly if you unblock the "Gravatar" cookie.