C5 Exclusive, Central console keeps restarting itself and...

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Fedupofc5

Re: C5 Exclusive, Central console keeps restarting itself an

Post by Fedupofc5 »

Its the citroen garage, so i'm guessing they were using the lexia tool.
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Can't see it suggested above, my first point to start with would be a BSi reset, absolutely free and just takes 5 minutes, doing this procedure can cure all manner of weird electrical faults.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Fedupofc5 wrote:Its the citroen garage, so i'm guessing they were using the lexia tool.
Cannot see a reason why not then, if the price is correct (does not seem high) and they are confident it will cure the problem.

BUT remember....
You have not posted a Lexia report to show details and we cannot see the car....so none cannot help with much confidence.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
Fedupofc5

Post by Fedupofc5 »

Stickyfinger wrote:
Fedupofc5 wrote:Its the citroen garage, so i'm guessing they were using the lexia tool.
BUT remember....
You have not posted a Lexia report to show details and we cannot see the car....so none cannot help with much confidence.
Thanks guys, appreciate your response, unfortunately i don't have a lexia and could not find one near dundee. So i have to go with what the dealer says, i did ask him if he can confirm that its definitely the CAM sensor and they said that it definitely is and said that they are sure the problem will not reoccur. So i guess i've to take their word for it.
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

we all have to trust at some time ....that is the lottery of life :)

but they sound confident, it could very well be that causing the problem and it seems a good price....best of.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

You might want to ask them what happens if it doesn't cure the problem? Is it the Alistair Fleming garage? I see they have just been taken over by TOM motors but have retained all the staff so if that is your Citroen garage, then they should certainly be able to diagnose the problem.
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
Fedupofc5

Post by Fedupofc5 »

qprdude wrote:You might want to ask them what happens if it doesn't cure the problem? Is it the Alistair Fleming garage? I see they have just been taken over by TOM motors but have retained all the staff so if that is your Citroen garage, then they should certainly be able to diagnose the problem.
Yes, it is indeed Alistair fleming. The garage just called back saying that they have replaced the cam sensor and road tested the car and apparently it seems ok. They are mentioned that there was another fault code P0456 registered on the system. Any idea as to what this might be as the receptionist did not have a clue. Checked online could not find anything solid. Any clues?
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Is your fuel filler cap or breather pipe blocked ?

OBD Code P0456refers to
The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) at different times performs various tests on the EVAP system. OBD II Enhanced EVAP systems are in place to keep fuel tank vapors from venting into the atmosphere, and instead purges them into the engine to be burned. Regular pressure tests are conducted by the PCM to monitor the sealed system for leaks. The PCM monitors the EVAP system pressure by watching the fuel tank pressure (FTP) sensor. When the sensor indicates a small leak in the EVAP system, this code is set.
Symptoms
Possible sumptoms of OBD code P0456
There will likely be no noticeable symptoms other than the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL). This is because the EVAP system is a closed system and only controls fuel tank vapors, not engine management.
Causes
Possible causes of OBD code P0456
Usually this P0456 code is caused by an incorrect or faulty gas cap. Filling the fuel tank with the engine running could conceivable cause this code as well or if the cap wasn't properly tightened. Any of the following could also be the cause: A small leak in any of the EVAP hoses or fuel tank hoses A small leak in the purge valve or vent valve The EVAP Canister may be leaking
Possible Solutions
First, using a scan tool activate the vent solenoid, sealing the system. Then monitor the fuel tank pressure (FTP) sensor. If the system is sealing properly, the number will stay consistent. If is isn't, the pressure sensor will show that as well. If the system slowly leaks, use a smoke machine and watch for smoke exiting the system at any EVAP component. Any where there is smoke exiting the system, that is the faulty component. Do not pressurize the EVAP system with air pressure. Doing so can damage the purge and vent solenoids in the system.
Related Codes
P0440 P0441 P0442 P0443 P0446 P0453 P0455 P0456
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
Fedupofc5

Post by Fedupofc5 »

Hi guys, just an update, got the car back and it seems to be running ok for now. i'm still not convinced though so will wait for a few more days before i dare say anything. The citroen dealer said that they replaced the cam sensor and updated the gearbox software and test drove for 10 miles.
They also said that there are still two faults stored and they did not have a clue on that and said that its something to do with a fan module and did not know what it was.
Fedupofc5

Post by Fedupofc5 »

So much for the CAM sensor, the car just lasted for a day, and on friday evening the engine cut out in the middle of a junction. Going back to the garage now. I did think it wasn't ok when i got it back, but i was hoping that it was just me being paranoid.
Same problem. starts fine in the morning after overnight but then if i start the car later during the day, the rpm raises gradually rather than jumping. and after two or three restarts it starts to cut out in after rolling a few meters with all the lights flashing and going to limp mode.
Fedupofc5

Post by Fedupofc5 »

Hi Guys,
The dealer went through the diagnostics and apparently found the same 'CAM sensor faulty' message. Now they reckon that it could be the fusebox which causes this issue as there are multiple fault codes. Obviously i wasn't happy about it as they replaced the cam sensor for no reason. So they said they will replace the fusebox without any labour or diagnostics cost and has quoted £107.00 for the fusebox alone.
So lets see if that fixes the issue.
The mechanic did say that it may be fuel injector relay which usually causes these communication error codes.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Post up the VIN and I'll check the price for the fusebox - preliminary investigation suggests it's not £107.... :lol:

I won't say anything about the mention of the fusebox about 2 weeks ago on here..... =P~
Richard W
Xantippa
My Cars: Now:
C5 X7 HDi 240 Exclusive Tourer
ZOE 22kwh Intense
Before:
C4 1,6 Coupe Automatic
C5 X7 HDi136 Exclusive Sedan A
Xantia HDi110 Berline
Xantia 1,8SX Berline

Post by Xantippa »

RichardW wrote:Post up the VIN and I'll check the price for the fusebox - preliminary investigation suggests it's not £107.... :lol:

I won't say anything about the mention of the fusebox about 2 weeks ago on here..... =P~
Neither do I. It was under 60€ when I bought it.
Fedupofc5

Post by Fedupofc5 »

RichardW wrote:Post up the VIN and I'll check the price for the fusebox - preliminary investigation suggests it's not £107.... :lol:

Thanks Richard,
I did ask those "experts" to check the batteries and fusebox as suggested in this forum, but the service manager was apparently going with what the Lexia was saying and since it said CAM sensor they did not stop to look at other symptoms.

107 seems to be a magic number for them, funny they quoted the same for the cam sensor as well.

And by the way apparently this is for the under the bonnet fusebox, and the cost includes VAT. I cant be worried about sourcing and fitting as i 've got two kids and my wife also drives the car.
Fedupofc5

Post by Fedupofc5 »

Yesterday the dealer said they have changed the fusebox and did a test drive, which seemed fine, yet they wanted to do more test drive since i mentioned that the problem seem to be picking up when i restart the car during the day time.

So they sorted out a courtesy cay for me free of cost and gave me the keys to a new C4 Cactus.

This car is quite nippy around the town and gives impressive mileage for a petrol engine. Feels quite light, but a bit low on power when i climb hills. Corners well and makes my c5 feel like a tractor. Comforts wise ride is quite hard compared to C5. But all in all its a simple good car, since relatively new don't know about reliability issues.