2009 C5 1.6 HDI - "Risk of particle filter clogging"

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

spako

Re: 2009 C5 1.6 HDI - "Risk of particle filter clogging"

Post by spako »

Stickyfinger wrote:There is a large electrical connector down behind the engine, I had big problems with this causing cut outs, Anti-P faults, Engine Management, dpf , fuel pressure...warnings....I disconnected and used loads of contact cleaner, water proof spray then reconnected it....never had a fault after that (until I stuffed the car in a hole !")
Where exactly do I find this large connector? How do I access it - from the engine compartment or underneath the car? What do I need to remove to get to it?
Stickyfinger wrote:C5s of this age may have the old style fuze box that also acts as a comms hub for the ECUs ect.....many folks have found this to be the cause of strange report faults, worth checking with a new or known good one.
Do you suggest replacing the fuse box?
2011 Renault Megane Sport Tourer 1.5 dCi 110 Expression+ Silver
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

You can get to it from above, really hard as you have to feel the way....remove Air Filter box etc (Take CARE with the MAF !)
It is down below that, a square block type if I remember. I never did it from below=under ramps, I expect it would of been easier = a lot.
That car did not have an under-tray....it SUFFERED for that reason I think, I will never not have one again.

The fuse box thing is a long shot, but it does have a history of strange fault generation that in fact have not been present. Some have reported visible corrosion in there, others just find out it is faulty by trying a known good one, buying a new one on a long shot like that ? who knows but I would say wait for others. They may comment on that, they are certainly better experienced than me/are the professionals who help us such a lot here.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
spako

Post by spako »

Stickyfinger wrote:You can get to it from above, really hard as you have to feel the way....remove Air Filter box etc (Take CARE with the MAF !)
It is down below that, a square block type if I remember.
Are you able to find a photo on the Internet showing the connector and/or its location that I need to look for?

This would help me significantly, otherwise it's like looking for a needle in a haystack ;-)
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

spako wrote:Are you able to find a photo on the Internet showing the connector and/or its location that I need to look for?

This would help me significantly, otherwise it's like looking for a needle in a haystack ;-)
Cannot help with that....feeling for it elbow deep was the instructions I was given.

Basically what I would do is get some good contact cleaner from Maplins and systemically clean all the connectors you can find in and around/under the engine. You need to eliminate these things to have any chance of finding the problem.

It is a easy but time consuming job that would cost/you can save, and who ever said Citroen electrics were not sensitive, made cheaply and can give strange effects..
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
spako

Post by spako »

I don't understand one thing though... how can there be no connection to EGR if I can hear clicking noise when performing EGR tests in Lexia? This is really weird...
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

I would think it is the feedback/sensing rather than the control command that is causing the problem as it is reporting 0 readings...(this is all guessing now), that seems like a logical reason ?
If you have a poor connection, maybe this is the result. Given you are sure the EGR is OK then it must be a electrical ?
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
spako

Post by spako »

I've decided not to remove DPF as yet and check all connectors first...

This is what I've done at the weekend to try and cure the problem:
- Blew all connectors I could find under the bonnet with air compressor
- Removed and blew ECU connectors with air
- Checked all fuses in both cabin and engine compartment using multimeter
- Removed battery, cleaned and vaseline'ed its terminals and battery clamps.

Sadly, after all that time spent on the above activities, there is no improvement and I still get the same warnings message on the dash :-(

On the positive side, I've managed to replace both DRL bulbs ;-)

Any other ideas what else I can do?

I'm desperate to get this sorted as I'm planning to drive abroad in a month or so.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

I wonder if there is a config procedure for a new EGR valve that needs to be carried out? Have a look under replacement parts (or similar, can't remember exactly) in Lexia.
Richard W
spako

Post by spako »

RichardW wrote:I wonder if there is a config procedure for a new EGR valve that needs to be carried out? Have a look under replacement parts (or similar, can't remember exactly) in Lexia.
There is EGR adaptation option in Lexia which I've tried to no avail.

It seems like a wiring/electric issue to me as the fault comes back on straight away after clearing it (even without starting the engine).

I'm wondering if it is possible to blank EGR off in 1.6 HDI engine without removing DPF? I've read somewhere that EGR is required for DPF regeneration, not sure if this is true?

How about blanking EGR off and deleting it with remap without removing DPF?

What do you guys think?
TodiCroitor
My Cars: C5 1.6 Hdi vtr+ 2009

Post by TodiCroitor »

Have you had any success solving the problem.?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk