Synergie fuel leak problems (again)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Ianhw77k
My Cars:

Re: Synergie fuel leak problems (again)

Post by Ianhw77k »

Trying again with the pictures. One of the suspected plug and socket connectors, one of the little black box on the pump and the last one is just a general view of the pump from the front.
Can anyone tell me what any of these do and if I can bypass this system please?

1995 Citroen Synergie 1.9TD (Mine)
2001 Citroen Xsara Picasso 2.0HDI (The wife's)
Ianhw77k
My Cars:

Post by Ianhw77k »

OK, you can all stop laughing now. What I thought was a stop solenoid, and what I changed a couple of years ago, is in fact a timing solenoid. Anyway, she's running again now. The guy at the garage wouldn't touch the injector pump but he was happy for my brother and I to tinker with it while it was in his car park.
We managed to remove the anti theft and immobiliser gubbins, and the anti theft bolts holding it all on. Then we ran a switched positive from the glow plug relay to the, now uncovered, solenoid. We did try to run a switched live from the lead that fed the immobiliser but for some reason, it just wouldn't work.

Now I need to sort the brakes out because, quite frankly, they are deadly dangerous!
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

is the stop solenoid showing in any of those picys, as i can see it #-o :-D :wink:

there is a switched 12V live feed in the black plug connector on the bracket attached to the front of the pump,

also im sure you did say were in East Sussex you are, but i cant remember #-o :wink:
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
Ianhw77k
My Cars:

Post by Ianhw77k »

The stop solenoid is under that black box on the pump. The switched live feed on the front of the pump was giving strange readings, one minute it was 6v, next it was 12v. I'm blaming that relay in the other picture which I think has something to do with the immobiliser. Either way, it's sorted now and I'm moving on to the brakes. The brake pedal goes down too far and is slow to return, the brakes are dangerously weak and we can't get the air out of the system. It's had new pads and we rebuilt the rear drums with new shoes and cylinders. I've ordered a master cylinder and whole set of stainless steel braided hoses which I hope is going to sort it.
Ianhw77k
My Cars:

Post by Ianhw77k »

Oh yes, I'm near Etchingham in East Sussex, Kent border region. I seem to remember you being pretty close to me.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

what did you do to this to sort it Ian,

and yes im in St Leonards on sea

did you need to fit new rear adjuster,s when you did the rear brakes on my daughters Synegie, we found GSF do a full rear brake rebuild kit which consists of shoes, cylinders and the adjusters, ready assembled to fit for i think £70'ish all in, and they were Bendix kits, were as when we looked up the adjusters on there own on service citroen, they were asking about £125,
Regards, malcolm.

Ianhw77k
My Cars:

Post by Ianhw77k »

I saw those kits, bosch do them as well. Unfortunately, I saw them too late. I was originally just going to replace one cylinder because of a broken bleed nipple but when we took the drums off everything was such a mess I went and got a set of shoes and another cylinder. The self adjusters seemed to be fine.
As for the immobiliser, a lot of that black box is plastic so we prised and chiselled what we could off, then managed to get mole grips on the anti theft bolts and undo the rest of it. I've got pictures of the mangled immobiliser and anti theft cover, I'll upload them when I'm next on the computer.
The only problem we had was a leak coming from the maximum fuel screw, I just carefully nipped it up with a 6mm socket and that seemed to stem the flow. It seems to run fine now.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

im surprised the tinny stainless steel pawl that locks the adjuster ratchet in the rear brakes was still present and correct :o :wink:

as more often than not it has gone walk about never to be seen again, then the only way the replace that is purchase the complete adjuster kit ( main dealer only ) on its own at least,

with the immobaliser maybe someone had bin there before and removed the heavy armor that is usually over the plastic housing
Last edited by citronut on 09 Mar 2015, 19:37, edited 1 time in total.
Regards, malcolm.

Ianhw77k
My Cars:

Post by Ianhw77k »

This didn't look messed with at all. I wonder if this was just their early attempt at anti theft armour. I mean, it took long enough to get off, not the sort of job a quick thief would bother with.