hdi 110 loss of power

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

harryp
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Forte HDI 110 hatch in wicked red, SORN
Exclusive HDI hatch in quartz, SORN
C4 Picasso Exc E, Wifes
Peugeot 207cc

Re: hdi 110 loss of power

Post by harryp »

Fell asleep last evening and spent most of today with hospital etc.... so plan in disarray once more.
Have checked the EV pipes again. Am getting vacuum from pump; applying vac to pipe moved the"wastegate".
BUT on the other EV pipe, I cannot pull any vacuum, it's as though the pipe is open ended. That would explain no vac to wastegate at it's a common feed (or suck). Will have a another delve down behind engine to try and find end of pipe which may be off whatever it should be on, or whatever it is on is broken.
Interestingly, I have had the voltage on the EV's seemingly vary between 2 and 10V so it is possible that it could be floating. I would need to check that to make sure of solid connections to my meter. With ign on, are both EV's supplied with voltage? What is max working voltage? From what has been said, the wastegate voltage would decrease to prevent over boost whilst keeping the boost at the correct level demanded by the ECU?? Don't know how the EGR one works. Once I have found end of pipe, I will connect vac pipe direct to wastegate and block other off and take for drive.
If the EGR pipe is connected and sound, what might be stuck to give atmosphere entry to the end? - try first....
Regards, Harry

2000 Nov Forte HDI 110 hatch in Wicked Red; currently SORN
2000 Mar Exclusive HDI hatch in Quartz; currently SORN
2013 C4 Picasso Excl E
Peugeot 207cc 1.6 Roland Garros
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

You can't measure the supply to the EVs with a normal meter - it uses a pulsed current to moduate the valves. If you put it on a 'scope you would see the length of the peaks changing. A digital volt meter will probably show a varying voltage as you are seeing, depending on the RMS of the supplied wave form.

You can bypass the EGR valve easily, just unplug the vac supply pipe to its EV, and then blank it off (stick a screw in the end of it). If may be that if the pipe to the EGR, or the EGR diaphragm, is split and dropping all the vac, then the ECU is winding open the turbo and EGR valves to 100% but still not seeing any boost, so is assuming that the EV must have failed and reporting a fault accordingly.
Richard W
harryp
(Donor 2022)
C4 Picasso Exc E, Wifes
Peugeot 207cc

Post by harryp »

Richard, electrically, that would fit. Would probably do better using the frequency setting. Must try and follow the pipe to its end. Haven't found the end of either yet!
Regards, Harry

2013 C4 Picasso Excl E
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Wastegate tube come off end of waste gate passenger side facing. . Comes up pased the vac pump into the pipe neting along with the main vac feed from the pump and goes over to the ev on the left.. there its joined to one valve and the egr to the other. then the main feed vac is T joined to both top ends of the evs .. and thats the vac harness
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
harryp
(Donor 2022)
C4 Picasso Exc E, Wifes
Peugeot 207cc

Post by harryp »

:oops: :oops: :oops: .Ignored EV's, put vac direct onto wastegate via small tube - full power restored. Vac now connected direct to EV. Feel very shame faced :oops: . Using lexi at rest obviously would not pull enough vacuum to initiate proceedings. Put EV back in circuit for wastegate only and it seems to work us normal. Just need to blank off the EGR but as it is not working really don't see the point. The vacuum was going straight out(or in) through the EGR.Will this have any effect at MOT time on the engine emissions?
It seems the first short reply was spot on from OSX - thankyou =D> . The wealth of info conveyed has made me more aware of the vac set-up. The valves and pipework on the March 2000 excl and the Nov 2000 Forte are markedly different which led to a lot of confusion. However, now appears ok (except that the ABS light came on :roll: ) so thank you all for responding to this rather convoluted and lengthy saga. As an after thought, what would cause the problem to occur? Whatever it is it has certainly ruptured/split or seized open, so is it worth cleaning/replacing? Bunging up the pipe would not seem to have any effect except maybe at MOT??? Lexi reports no faults except ABS on Global, but on Parameter selection shows no fault :roll: ... PSA!! It shows the turbo pressures as - Atmos 1012, Measured 1035, Setting (assume max??) 1129. Most comforting :)

Thank to all =D> , Regards. :oops:
Regards, Harry

2013 C4 Picasso Excl E
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

:mrgreen:

No problem with MOT re EGR - unless it's stuck open and creating a load of smoke. Mot check is only for smoke, not NOX (which the EGR tries to reduce).
Richard W
harryp
(Donor 2022)
C4 Picasso Exc E, Wifes
Peugeot 207cc

Post by harryp »

Thank you Richard. would it do any good using oven cleaner or a proprietary EGR product as per some of the u-tube videos. I am a bit of a sceptic, so help me!! I guess it has 2 chances :wink:
Regards, Harry

2013 C4 Picasso Excl E
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

i KNEW FROM THE OFF it would not be the turbo itself!! These units are as tough as xud units in that only the waste gate is vac controled by the ecu rather then in built pressure sensor to open. Allows for a more accurate measurement etc

Well we got there. Well done harry.. you have basically done what id have done for you should of have got up here..

Congrats!
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
harryp
(Donor 2022)
C4 Picasso Exc E, Wifes
Peugeot 207cc

Post by harryp »

Cheers Paul. I was certain I had done a direct connection as one of the first steps, but obviously too confused to get it right. Hence my confusion all through. Feel pretty foolish though. If you have any of the parts on the list sent, please pm me so that we can sort out my collection/courier. I have no problem coming armed with spanners etc to remove as necessary and can be available to suit
Regards, Harry

2013 C4 Picasso Excl E